Computer Crashes

Rita1107

Computer Crashes
My machine keeps having sudden crashes. A message comes up, but leaves the
screen too quickly to read. Then a message comes up after the computer
restarts that says "windows unexpected shutdown, Microsoft will search for a
solution and get back to you". I never hear anything from Microsoft.

The only thing different is that we unplugged the network connection to the
computer one day because the internet message said "no network access
available". After plugging it back in, the internet worked.

However now we have several crashes a day.

On a less troublesome note, the "sidebar" shows the weather for Redmond, WA,
instead of our city. Can't seem to change it.

We have a new computer since January, using Vista Home Premium.
thanks for any help you can provide.
Dave

Re: Computer Crashes
First of all, change the way your computer handles the crashes...
Start - Control Panel - System - Advanced system settings
(UAC - continue)
Startup & recovery - settings

under System failure...
uncheck "automatically restart"
ok

Now, if your computer crashes, it will stop at the blue screen so you can
read what it says....
then maybe someone can help.

"Rita1107" <Rita1107@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My machine keeps having sudden crashes. A message comes up, but leaves
> the
> screen too quickly to read. Then a message comes up after the computer
> restarts that says "windows unexpected shutdown, Microsoft will search for
> solution and get back to you". I never hear anything from Microsoft.
>
> The only thing different is that we unplugged the network connection to
> the
> computer one day because the internet message said "no network access
> available". After plugging it back in, the internet worked.
>
> However now we have several crashes a day.
>
> On a less troublesome note, the "sidebar" shows the weather for Redmond,
> WA,
> instead of our city. Can't seem to change it.
>
> We have a new computer since January, using Vista Home Premium.
> thanks for any help you can provide.

Zookeeper

Re: Computer Crashes
Hey, you must have gotten my old desk computer! If it didn't run like a
turtle loading each window, it just crashed. As to the "Redmond, WA" on your
weather icon, click on the tiny wrench you see when you put your mouse on the
icon, type in your city in the "location" area, and click on the little
magnifier icon to let it search for your own city.Click "okay", and have fun
with the other gadgets.
--
mediacenter newbie