slow performnce

bcpinker

slow performnce
How do I stop some programs from opening automatically when I start up my
computer?
bcpinker

RE: slow performnce
Thank you for your answer. I can see the programs that are opening but I am
not sure how to make the changes to have some of them not open at start up.

"Ronnievdl" wrote:

> Open Windows Defender, click on Tools, Software Explorer.
> Next to Category, choose "Startup programs".
> Here you can see all programs that start when you log in.
>
> If you really want to go advanced, try Autoruns:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys.../AutoRuns.mspx
> Watch out, if you disable the wrong things with this program, you can really
> screw up your Windows installation.
>

> "bcpinker" wrote:
>
> > How do I stop some programs from opening automatically when I start up my
> > computer?

Rick Rogers

Re: slow performnce
Hi,

Go into the program's settings/options/preferences and disable anything that
allows it to load when the system starts. If that fails, run msconfig from
the start/search line and disable (uncheck) it on the startup tab.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"bcpinker" <bcpinker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I stop some programs from opening automatically when I start up my
> computer?

Ronnievdl

RE: slow performnce
In Windows Defender, select the program you want to remove from the startup
list, and click the Remove button on the bottom right.
Changing startup programs that run for all users requires administrator
previleges, so the Remove button is disabled, you have to click on "Show for
all users".

"bcpinker" wrote:

> Thank you for your answer. I can see the programs that are opening but I am
> not sure how to make the changes to have some of them not open at start up.
>
> "Ronnievdl" wrote:
>
> > Open Windows Defender, click on Tools, Software Explorer.
> > Next to Category, choose "Startup programs".
> > Here you can see all programs that start when you log in.
> >
> > If you really want to go advanced, try Autoruns:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys.../AutoRuns.mspx
> > Watch out, if you disable the wrong things with this program, you can really
> > screw up your Windows installation.
> >

> > "bcpinker" wrote:
> >
> > > How do I stop some programs from opening automatically when I start up my
> > > computer?

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: slow performnce
On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 18:20:41 -0700, bcpinker
<bcpinker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> How do I stop some programs from opening automatically when I start up my
> computer?

On each program you don't want to start automatically, check its
Options to see if it has the choice not to start (make sure you
actually choose the option not to run it, not just a "don't show icon"
option). Many can easily and best be stopped that way. If that doesn't
work, run MSCONFIG from the Start | Run line, and on the Startup tab,
uncheck the programs you don't want to start automatically.

However, if I were you, I wouldn't do this just for the purpose of
running the minimum number of programs. Despite what many people tell
you, you should be concerned, not with how *many* of these programs
you run, but *which*. Some of them can hurt performance severely, but
others have no effect on performance.

Don't just stop programs from running willy-nilly. What you should do
is determine what each program is, what its value is to you, and what
the cost in performance is of its running all the time. You can get