Computer repeatedly freezes.

Cooper

Computer repeatedly freezes.
Hi, just bought a new computer, and unfortunately I was stuck with Vista as
XP is no longer available anywhere near me. My computer has an intel quad
core extreme processor, an Nvidia 800 graphics card, 2 gigs of ram and 1TB of
harddrive space. The problem is if I do anything other then surf the net My
computer will freeze. I would look for new drivers, unfortunately I have all
the newest drivers available, and under the event thing, there are no new
recent events...
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Computer repeatedly freezes.
Restart your computer, then download and install the
following new updates:

An update is available that improves the compatibility
and reliability of Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=938194

An update is available that improves the performance
and reliability of Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=938979

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Cooper" wrote:

> Hi, just bought a new computer, and unfortunately I was stuck with Vista as
> XP is no longer available anywhere near me. My computer has an intel quad
> core extreme processor, an Nvidia 800 graphics card, 2 gigs of ram and 1TB of
> harddrive space. The problem is if I do anything other then surf the net My
> computer will freeze. I would look for new drivers, unfortunately I have all
> the newest drivers available, and under the event thing, there are no new
> recent events...

Just tried installing the reliabilty update I saw in one of the other
threads about a similar issue. Hopefully that helps, otherwise Im probly goin
to Linux or mac.
Cooper

Re: Computer repeatedly freezes.
Ive put them both on before I'd posted this. :-(
Cooper

Re: Computer repeatedly freezes.

Well, Ive had both updates in, and my computer lasted all of 40 minutes
before freezing. I dont want to sound rude, or negative, but I have NEVER had
problems like this. Ive had all my hardware tested, Ive ran numerous
spyware/malware/virus scans and It all comes down to one common problem...
Vista. My computer should be more then able to handle whatever I throw at it.
It doesnt even function right now because all Im doing all day long is
rebooting. Anyone know where I can Buy XP get out of this nightmare?
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Computer repeatedly freezes.
Complete or sporadic system freezes are usually caused
by a hardware problem. I would suggest removing your
video card and RAM modules, then reinstall them, making
sure they are firmly seated in their slots. Also, an inadequate
or bad power supply unit can cause system freezes, as well
as a defective video card or RAM module.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Cooper" wrote:

Well, Ive had both updates in, and my computer lasted all of 40 minutes
before freezing. I dont want to sound rude, or negative, but I have NEVER had
problems like this. Ive had all my hardware tested, Ive ran numerous
spyware/malware/virus scans and It all comes down to one common problem...
Vista. My computer should be more then able to handle whatever I throw at it.
It doesnt even function right now because all Im doing all day long is
rebooting. Anyone know where I can Buy XP get out of this nightmare?
Spirit

Re: Computer repeatedly freezes.
Make sure ALL driver are updated and pay particular attention to any
hard drive drivers or utilities. Check for BIOS updates too.

"Cooper" <Cooper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:02DC039F-EAA4-40E0-9377-4205F462544F@microsoft.com...
> Hi, just bought a new computer, and unfortunately I was stuck with Vista as
> XP is no longer available anywhere near me. My computer has an intel quad
> core extreme processor, an Nvidia 800 graphics card, 2 gigs of ram and 1TB of
> harddrive space. The problem is if I do anything other then surf the net My
> computer will freeze. I would look for new drivers, unfortunately I have all
> the newest drivers available, and under the event thing, there are no new
> recent events...

Cooper

Re: Computer repeatedly freezes.
Like I've said, I've already tested all my hardware (and by tested I mean I
took it back to where I bought from and had them check it, then I took it
home and checked everything myself) And the computer is only 3 days old. I've
never ever seen this happen before. Then again, Ive never seen a freeze to
the point that I cant CTRL ALT DEL out of it. There are a bunch of these
threads though...
Cooper

Re: Computer repeatedly freezes.
I was hoping there was something I missed.... But I havent found anything
yet. If I didnt game, it wouldnt bother me too much, but my computer is for
more then just work. It crashes on the Microsoft windows live games as well...

"Spirit" wrote:

> Make sure ALL driver are updated and pay particular attention to any
> hard drive drivers or utilities. Check for BIOS updates too.
>
> "Cooper" <Cooper@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:02DC039F-EAA4-40E0-9377-4205F462544F@microsoft.com...
> > Hi, just bought a new computer, and unfortunately I was stuck with Vista as
> > XP is no longer available anywhere near me. My computer has an intel quad
> > core extreme processor, an Nvidia 800 graphics card, 2 gigs of ram and 1TB of
> > harddrive space. The problem is if I do anything other then surf the net My
> > computer will freeze. I would look for new drivers, unfortunately I have all
> > the newest drivers available, and under the event thing, there are no new
> > recent events...

Rick Rogers

Re: Computer repeatedly freezes.
Hi,

It's new. Call the manufacturer's support. Be blunt. Fix it or refund it.
You shouldn't even be messing with it, that's what the warranty is for.

By the by, regardless of what the store you got it from did, freezing is
nearly always a symptom of a faulty piece of hardware or incorrect timing
settings. If you don't get it fixed under warranty, then you'll end up
paying for it one way or the other.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/