Total System Freeze

Vance W.

Total System Freeze
I have a brand new (April 07) HP Pavillion AMD Dual core 64 which, according
to the sticker on the CPU, was "built" for Windows Vista. I am using a
genuine copy of Home Premium which came with the new system. Roughly once
per week the entire system freezes....(lately twice a week). Windows Mail
will not launch (the opening graphic gets stuck on the screen); Internet
Explorer will not launch. Pressing Ctrl+alt+delete will NOT allow me to
access my Task Menu.....I cannot restart or log off of the system....the
machine will not turn off by pressing the power button....I literally have to
UNPLUG the computer from the wall to make it shut off then completely reboot
everything. I cannot hone in on any one thing that I am doing or any one
software that I am using when it happens as it seems to happen on different
days and at different times. I usually seem to be launching Windows Mail
each time I notice the problem. My Norton Antivirus 2007 reports no
problems, and I am using Windows Defender Firewall as well. My system is
clean. Programs reside on one hard drive......all data goes to a hard slave.
I don't generally use my system for any high-risk activity and all my
security settings are medium-high. This problem is similar to the other
users' freezes except that their systems start working after a short delay
whereas mine seems to be hard-wired to the electric company and wont start
again or even shut off. The problem started occurring more than 90 days
after my activitation (April 2007) therefore Microsoft will not help me.
Anybody else have this problem? And is there any I can report it to
Microsoft without paying them $59USD just for the privilege of sending them
an email?
Thanks people.
--
Vance W.
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Total System Freeze
Freezes are usually the result of faulty hardware. Did you
discuss your problem with HP since your HP system is still
under warranty?

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Vance W." <VanceW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
[...]

I have not yet contacted HP (nor the Best Buy Geek Squad -- I bought a 4 year
agreement). As there have been SO MANY similar freeze issues among Vista
users I thought it must be a Vista problem. Also, the very same problem has
been happening to my two best friends, and neither of them have any new
hardware.
--
Vance W.

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Freezes are usually the result of faulty hardware. Did you
> discuss your problem with HP since your HP system is still
> under warranty?
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

> "Vance W." <VanceW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a brand new (April 07) HP Pavillion AMD Dual core 64 which, according
> to the sticker on the CPU, was "built" for Windows Vista. I am using a
> genuine copy of Home Premium which came with the new system. Roughly once
> per week the entire system freezes....(lately twice a week). Windows Mail
> will not launch (the opening graphic gets stuck on the screen); Internet
> Explorer will not launch. Pressing Ctrl+alt+delete will NOT allow me to
> access my Task Menu.....I cannot restart or log off of the system....the
> machine will not turn off by pressing the power button....I literally have to
> UNPLUG the computer from the wall to make it shut off then completely reboot
> everything. I cannot hone in on any one thing that I am doing or any one
> software that I am using when it happens as it seems to happen on different
> days and at different times. I usually seem to be launching Windows Mail
> each time I notice the problem. My Norton Antivirus 2007 reports no
> problems, and I am using Windows Defender Firewall as well. My system is
> clean. Programs reside on one hard drive......all data goes to a hard slave.
> I don't generally use my system for any high-risk activity and all my
> security settings are medium-high. This problem is similar to the other
> users' freezes except that their systems start working after a short delay
> whereas mine seems to be hard-wired to the electric company and wont start
> again or even shut off. The problem started occurring more than 90 days
> after my activitation (April 2007) therefore Microsoft will not help me.
> Anybody else have this problem? And is there any I can report it to
> Microsoft without paying them $59USD just for the privilege of sending them
> an email?
> Thanks people.
> --
> Vance W.

Randor

Re: Total System Freeze
Hi!

I have had this kind of freezing around one time each 2 days for 6 months
now.
And my hardware (memory, hard disk, BIOS, video, . . ) was tested and
everything is OK.

I'm about to install this reliability update which seems to be the solution:

Bye!

Cooper

Re: Total System Freeze

I have the same problem, had all my hardware tested and its fine. Then
again, I was super unhappy to learn I had no choice but to go with vista for
my computer...