defragmentation in vista

SuprTnkr

defragmentation in vista
I defraged my computer but when i go to www.pcpitstop.com it tells me that my
C drive is 13% fragmented. No matter how many times i do it, the best i can
get is 11%. Any ideas?
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: defragmentation in vista
Try PerfectDisk 8 for free
http://www.raxco.com/products/downlo...k_download.cfm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"SuprTnkr" wrote:

I defraged my computer but when i go to www.pcpitstop.com it tells me that my
C drive is 13% fragmented. No matter how many times i do it, the best i can
get is 11%. Any ideas?
Bruce Chambers

SuprTnkr wrote:
> I defraged my computer but when i go to www.pcpitstop.com it tells me that my
> C drive is 13% fragmented. No matter how many times i do it, the best i can
> get is 11%. Any ideas?

Don't waste any more time going to a web site that is clearly giving
you false readings.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: defragmentation in vista
Every defrag program has its own way of defining fragmentation. Therefore
you are guaranteed to always have different results from different apps.

"SuprTnkr" <SuprTnkr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I defraged my computer but when i go to www.pcpitstop.com it tells me that
>my
> C drive is 13% fragmented. No matter how many times i do it, the best i
> can
> get is 11%. Any ideas?

SuprTnkr

Re: defragmentation in vista
i used the program and it is telling me that i have 0% file fragmentation but
15% data fragmentation. and that is also showing in disk MD

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Try PerfectDisk 8 for free
> http://www.raxco.com/products/downlo...k_download.cfm
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

> "SuprTnkr" wrote:
>
> I defraged my computer but when i go to www.pcpitstop.com it tells me that my
> C drive is 13% fragmented. No matter how many times i do it, the best i can
> get is 11%. Any ideas?

Marc Darragh

Re: defragmentation in vista
Try Diskeeper from Disckeepr.com

It's not that expensive and Microsoft included a stripped down version when
it released windows XP. I've been using it for years now and can say that
it's an excellent program.

> Try PerfectDisk 8 for free
> http://www.raxco.com/products/downlo...k_download.cfm
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

> "SuprTnkr" wrote:
>
> I defraged my computer but when i go to www.pcpitstop.com it tells me that
> my
> C drive is 13% fragmented. No matter how many times i do it, the best i
> can
> get is 11%. Any ideas?

Benjamin

SuprTnkr;419625 Wrote:
> I defraged my computer but when i go to 'PC Pitstop: Free PC
> Diagnostics, computer help and Tuneups' (http://www.pcpitstop.com) it
> tells me that my
> C drive is 13% fragmented. No matter how many times i do it, the best i
> can
> get is 11%. Any ideas?

Probably, system restore points, paging file and the $MFT are
fragmented. If Iam not wrong, the windows defragger does not defrag
those routinely. Try out a third party defragger to defragment the disk
properly. Everyone here seems to have their own choice of favourite
defragger, and based on my experience, I'd recommend Diskeeper Pro. Free
evaluation downloads are available from the site at 'Diskeeper -
Maximizing computer performance and reliability automatically utilizing
defrag' (http://www.diskeeper.com)

--
Benjamin
Huib

Re: defragmentation in vista
"SuprTnkr" <SuprTnkr@discussions.microsoft.com> schreef in bericht
>I defraged my computer but when i go to www.pcpitstop.com it tells me that
>my
> C drive is 13% fragmented. No matter how many times i do it, the best i
> can
> get is 11%. Any ideas?

Hi everybody,
From nature i am against using third party SW.
The question is here more...if Vista tells that there is no need for
defragmentation is this true?

I agree that there is no logic within it:
-no view about the progress as in previous versions
-after performing the defragmentation (very long time, even if there are no
other activities) and starting it immediately again theere is the same
sympton.

It is my believe that this should be clarified first by the experts and once
that is know i will may be use third parts SW.

Regards
Huib

Zookeeper

Re: defragmentation in vista
System Mechanic Pro 7 has places to defrag boot setup, memory, all sorts of
things, upon startup or manually. I couldn't get thru a day without using it,
when I see how easily I get low memory messages, registry errors, junk files
needing deletion. I'm sure other programs might be almost as good - and as
easy to use - but the full feature anti virus/system care programs are
invalueable. NOT Norton or Mcafee, though (for me, at least.) And my
computers last for years until I give them away, still working, and with the
suggestion to get their own management software to KEEP them running
well.Only my last desk one was a pooper at the end - motherboard going,though.
--
mediacenter newbie

"Benjamin" wrote:

> SuprTnkr;419625 Wrote:
> > I defraged my computer but when i go to 'PC Pitstop: Free PC
> > Diagnostics, computer help and Tuneups' (http://www.pcpitstop.com) it
> > tells me that my
> > C drive is 13% fragmented. No matter how many times i do it, the best i
> > can
> > get is 11%. Any ideas?

> Probably, system restore points, paging file and the $MFT are
> fragmented. If Iam not wrong, the windows defragger does not defrag
> those routinely. Try out a third party defragger to defragment the disk
> properly. Everyone here seems to have their own choice of favourite
> defragger, and based on my experience, I'd recommend Diskeeper Pro. Free
> evaluation downloads are available from the site at 'Diskeeper -
> Maximizing computer performance and reliability automatically utilizing
> defrag' (http://www.diskeeper.com)
>

> --
> Benjamin

Marc Darragh

Re: defragmentation in vista
Hi

You should try and invest in Diskeeper. It's much more powerfull than the
windows version, and does a better job at it.

When MS lunched XP, the version of defrag that came shipped with XP was a
stripped down version of Diskeeper. I read this in t he book " Windows XP
Inside Out. By MS press".

Do yourself a favour and purchase Diskeeper pro.

Marc Darragh