2 ReadyBoost drives anyone?

Sam Steinhauser

2 ReadyBoost drives anyone?
I have a 2 gb ReadyBoost drive on my system that has 2 gb RAM. Everytime I
plug in another flash drive Vista prompts me if I want to speed up my system.
Would 2 ReadyBoost drives be better than 1? I always need more power!

--
Sam
Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: 2 ReadyBoost drives anyone?
Using Windows ReadyBoost is not the same thing as adding
more system memory. Windows ReadyBoost can improve system
performance because it can retrieve data kept on the flash memory
more quickly than it can retrieve data kept on the hard disk, decreasing
the time you need to wait for your PC to respond.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Sam Steinhauser" wrote:

I have a 2 gb ReadyBoost drive on my system that has 2 gb RAM. Everytime I
plug in another flash drive Vista prompts me if I want to speed up my system.
Would 2 ReadyBoost drives be better than 1? I always need more power!

--
Sam
Sam Steinhauser

Re: 2 ReadyBoost drives anyone?
Are 2 drives better than one? Is matching RAM to flash drive still the best
way?
--
Sam

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Using Windows ReadyBoost is not the same thing as adding
> more system memory. Windows ReadyBoost can improve system
> performance because it can retrieve data kept on the flash memory
> more quickly than it can retrieve data kept on the hard disk, decreasing
> the time you need to wait for your PC to respond.
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

> "Sam Steinhauser" wrote:
>
> I have a 2 gb ReadyBoost drive on my system that has 2 gb RAM. Everytime I
> plug in another flash drive Vista prompts me if I want to speed up my system.
> Would 2 ReadyBoost drives be better than 1? I always need more power!
>
> --
> Sam

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: 2 ReadyBoost drives anyone?
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 13:34:00 -0700, Sam Steinhauser
<SamSteinhauser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I have a 2 gb ReadyBoost drive on my system that has 2 gb RAM. Everytime I
> plug in another flash drive Vista prompts me if I want to speed up my system.
> Would 2 ReadyBoost drives be better than 1? I always need more power!

With 2GB of RAM, it's doubtful whether readyboost makes any difference
at all.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
AJR

Re: 2 ReadyBoost drives anyone?
Sam - good question. Readyboost will "recognize" up to 4 gig via an
external device. You can tell if both are functioning by the LED "action"
of each device - flashing means device is being utilized.

Superfetch will utilize the ReadyBost device for non-sequential read/writes
and the HD for sequential activity - meaning that the LED avtivity will
depend upon type of HD activity.

BTW - you cannot access a ReadyBoost device - the data is encrypted for
protection if the device is removed before data is cleared - device can be
removed at any time without loss of data from the HD since data sent to the
device is a "copy" of the original data - go figure!

"Sam Steinhauser" <SamSteinhauser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:49BEBA1F-7DD5-4383-8CAB-186B82DDE918@microsoft.com...
>I have a 2 gb ReadyBoost drive on my system that has 2 gb RAM. Everytime I
> plug in another flash drive Vista prompts me if I want to speed up my
> system.
> Would 2 ReadyBoost drives be better than 1? I always need more power!
>
> --
> Sam

Fred B.

Re: 2 ReadyBoost drives anyone?
Readyboost will only support 1 device at a time.

"Sam Steinhauser" <SamSteinhauser@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:8B05AA00-0196-4177-8C99-167FC9BCB4F2@microsoft.com...