any SAFE tweaks for Home Premium to crank up the speed?

Ken Blake, MVP

Re: any SAFE tweaks for Home Premium to crank up the speed?
On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 14:05:10 -0400, "Paul" <p@p.com> wrote:

> I thought my 2 day old computer would have a better score. the low score of
> 3 is from my 335MB graphics, any tweaks that could help kick it up a notch
> or two?

Buy a faster video card.

Actually I wish Microsoft hadn't included this scoring in Vista. My
advice is to subjectively assess the performance you are getting. Are
you happy with it? If yes, forget about the numbers on that scoring
screen.

Only if performance is unsatisfactory should you worry about things
like this.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Paul

Re: any SAFE tweaks for Home Premium to crank up the speed?
faster video card!! holy, 335MB isn't good enough? the laptop I upgraded
from had 16MB and I had almost no problems at all.

I'm starting to get very discouraged with Vista because it seems like it
requires much more and gives less in return.
there is no way that the benefits of Vista is that much more superior to XP
Pro that it will only run satisfactorily with a top-of-the-line computer.
Crap, I thought for sure with what this computer came with I would have no
problems doing what I wanted , when I wanted... especially upgrading from my
Dell Inspiron 8100, P3 866/40GB/512MB/16MB video. Xp ran extremely well and
played all my videos, games (most) and movies, no problem.

yesterday I was so excited about my new investment, now I sit here thinking
the money would have been better spent on my car or maybe a new Mac.

--

HP Pavilion V9000 Entertainment Laptop
Vista Home Premium/dual core 1.8/160GB/2GB ram/335MB Graphic/17" widescreen
"Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.am.invalid.domain> wrote in message
> On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 14:05:10 -0400, "Paul" <p@p.com> wrote:
>
>> I thought my 2 day old computer would have a better score. the low score
>> of
>> 3 is from my 335MB graphics, any tweaks that could help kick it up a
>> notch
>> or two?

> Buy a faster video card.
>
> Actually I wish Microsoft hadn't included this scoring in Vista. My
> advice is to subjectively assess the performance you are getting. Are
> you happy with it? If yes, forget about the numbers on that scoring
> screen.
>
> Only if performance is unsatisfactory should you worry about things
> like this.
>
> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

David

Paul wrote:
> I thought my 2 day old computer would have a better score. the low
> score of 3 is from my 335MB graphics, any tweaks that could help kick
> it up a notch or two?
>
> Thanks guys
> Paul

are you concerned about the score or ACTUAL performance issues? I don't
pay much attention to the score on my Toshiba laptop--it's a bit low do
to the integrated graphics. However, in use, it works fine for what I
use it for, including watching movies. I don't plan on loading BF2 on
it.

Dave

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 17:00:20 -0400, "Paul" <p@p.com> wrote:

> faster video card!! holy, 335MB isn't good enough?

That response is like my telling you to get a faster car, and your
replying "four doors on the car isn't good enough?"

The amount of memory you have on the video card and the speed of the
card are two completely different things.

Besides, I pointed out that you should really disregard the score.
What you have may indeed be fast enough for you, if you are happy with
the performance. How much video speed you need depends on what you use
your computer for. Those who play shoot-em-up type games typically
require much more video speed than those of us who don't.

> the laptop I upgraded
> from had 16MB and I had almost no problems at all.
>
> I'm starting to get very discouraged with Vista because it seems like it
> requires much more and gives less in return.
> there is no way that the benefits of Vista is that much more superior to XP
> Pro that it will only run satisfactorily with a top-of-the-line computer.
> Crap, I thought for sure with what this computer came with I would have no
> problems doing what I wanted , when I wanted... especially upgrading from my
> Dell Inspiron 8100, P3 866/40GB/512MB/16MB video. Xp ran extremely well and
> played all my videos, games (most) and movies, no problem.
>
> yesterday I was so excited about my new investment, now I sit here thinking
> the money would have been better spent on my car or maybe a new Mac.
>
> --
>
> HP Pavilion V9000 Entertainment Laptop
> Vista Home Premium/dual core 1.8/160GB/2GB ram/335MB Graphic/17" widescreen
> ... and a whole wack of bells and whistles SWEET!!
> "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.am.invalid.domain> wrote in message
> > On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 14:05:10 -0400, "Paul" <p@p.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I thought my 2 day old computer would have a better score. the low score
> >> of
> >> 3 is from my 335MB graphics, any tweaks that could help kick it up a
> >> notch
> >> or two?

> > Buy a faster video card.
> >
> > Actually I wish Microsoft hadn't included this scoring in Vista. My
> > advice is to subjectively assess the performance you are getting. Are
> > you happy with it? If yes, forget about the numbers on that scoring
> > screen.
> >
> > Only if performance is unsatisfactory should you worry about things
> > like this.
> >
> > --
> > Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
> > Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Rod WC7N

RE: any SAFE tweaks for Home Premium to crank up the speed?
Boy Paul do I agree with you. I did buy a Readyboost and that has helped a
lots. Nice thing about the Readyboost I purchased it came with ZERO
instructions and only took me three days to figure out how to get it to work.

"Paul" wrote:

> I thought my 2 day old computer would have a better score. the low score of
> 3 is from my 335MB graphics, any tweaks that could help kick it up a notch
> or two?
>
> Thanks guys
> Paul
>
> --
>
> HP Pavilion V9000 Entertainment Laptop
> Vista Home Premium/dual core 1.8/160GB/2GB ram/335MB Graphic/17" widescreen
> .... and a whole wack of bells and whistles SWEET!!

peter

Re: any SAFE tweaks for Home Premium to crank up the speed?
That little piece of MS baloney is useless..............bragging rights is
about all its good for.
Its a marketing tool designed to let you think that whatever piece of
hardware has a low rating needs to be replaced
I have a laptop with the score of 3 on the video 3D and that is my
score....the rest are all at 4.something.
The unit doesn't run any slower than when I had XP on it..........the unit
still does the same things as when I had XP
Movies still play.........Sounds play.........Games seem just as
fast.....Ofiice stuff operates smoothly.......................like I said
bragging rights and about 5000000 pages of newsgroups discussion.
peter
"Paul" <p@p.com> wrote in message
>I thought my 2 day old computer would have a better score. the low score of
>3 is from my 335MB graphics, any tweaks that could help kick it up a notch
>or two?
>
> Thanks guys
> Paul
>
> --
>
> HP Pavilion V9000 Entertainment Laptop
> Vista Home Premium/dual core 1.8/160GB/2GB ram/335MB Graphic/17"
> widescreen
> ... and a whole wack of bells and whistles SWEET!!

MrSlartybartfast

Re: any SAFE tweaks for Home Premium to crank up the speed?
Your old graphic card would get the minimum score of 1, if it were possible
to score lower I'm sure it would. You score 3 with the new computer, it is a
good score. If you have no performance troubles then there is no problem.
Lord Takyon

> On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 17:00:20 -0400, "Paul" <p@p.com> wrote:
>
>> faster video card!! holy, 335MB isn't good enough?

> That response is like my telling you to get a faster car, and your
> replying "four doors on the car isn't good enough?"
>
> The amount of memory you have on the video card and the speed of the
> card are two completely different things.
>
> Besides, I pointed out that you should really disregard the score.
> What you have may indeed be fast enough for you, if you are happy with
> the performance. How much video speed you need depends on what you use
> your computer for. Those who play shoot-em-up type games typically
> require much more video speed than those of us who don't.
>

>> the laptop I upgraded
>> from had 16MB and I had almost no problems at all.
>>
>> I'm starting to get very discouraged with Vista because it seems like it
>> requires much more and gives less in return.
>> there is no way that the benefits of Vista is that much more superior to
>> XP
>> Pro that it will only run satisfactorily with a top-of-the-line computer.
>> Crap, I thought for sure with what this computer came with I would have
>> no
>> problems doing what I wanted , when I wanted... especially upgrading from
>> my
>> Dell Inspiron 8100, P3 866/40GB/512MB/16MB video. Xp ran extremely well
>> and
>> played all my videos, games (most) and movies, no problem.
>>
>> yesterday I was so excited about my new investment, now I sit here
>> thinking
>> the money would have been better spent on my car or maybe a new Mac.
>>
>> --
>>
>> HP Pavilion V9000 Entertainment Laptop
>> Vista Home Premium/dual core 1.8/160GB/2GB ram/335MB Graphic/17"
>> widescreen
>> ... and a whole wack of bells and whistles SWEET!!
>> "Ken Blake, MVP" <kblake@this.is.am.invalid.domain> wrote in message

>> > Buy a faster video card.
>> >
>> > Actually I wish Microsoft hadn't included this scoring in Vista. My
>> > advice is to subjectively assess the performance you are getting. Are
>> > you happy with it? If yes, forget about the numbers on that scoring
>> > screen.
>> >
>> > Only if performance is unsatisfactory should you worry about things
>> > like this.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
>> > Please Reply to the Newsgroup

> --
> Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

I agree wholeheartedly. That score is nothing to get uptight about. My
system scores really well in all areas except video, and this drags my score
back down. I do not care though, I am not a gamer, hence do not need the
video power. It does what I want and that is all I ask.

--
Can't think of a sig at the moment.
Read this instead.

Lord Takyon

"Paul" <p@p.com> wrote in message
>I thought my 2 day old computer would have a better score. the low score of
>3 is from my 335MB graphics, any tweaks that could help kick it up a notch
>or two?
>
> Thanks guys
> Paul
>
> --
>
> HP Pavilion V9000 Entertainment Laptop
> Vista Home Premium/dual core 1.8/160GB/2GB ram/335MB Graphic/17"
> widescreen
> ... and a whole wack of bells and whistles SWEET!!

Google 'Vista performance tweaks' and take your pick of the guides
available.