Vista Backup/Restore - Can't Detect Backup Set

Paul Farmer

Vista Backup/Restore - Can't Detect Backup Set
I backed up my Vista Ultimate system to an attached (USB2) drive, then
deleted and reinstalled the system from CD. I now want to get back my user
files from the Backup, but when I try (using Restore Files (Advanced)) and
navigate the file browser to the drive (which it can see, and so can
WinExplorer) it fails with the message "Windows was not able to find any
backup sets on E:\". I have subsequently made another backup of the system to
the same device and then tried to restore using the same method, and I get
the same error message.
Any ideas anyone? Is it a permissions thing? Did Microsoft ever think this
whole restore business through properly?
(btw, I definitely DON'T want to do a complete system restore as the
registry on the prior system backup has some corruptions in it that I don't
want back.)
Thanks in advance, Paul.
Cal Bear '66

Re: Vista Backup/Restore - Can't Detect Backup Set
Did you do a Complete PC Backup or a File backup?

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"Paul Farmer" <PaulFarmer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I backed up my Vista Ultimate system to an attached (USB2) drive, then
> deleted and reinstalled the system from CD. I now want to get back my user
> files from the Backup, but when I try (using Restore Files (Advanced)) and
> navigate the file browser to the drive (which it can see, and so can
> WinExplorer) it fails with the message "Windows was not able to find any
> backup sets on E:\". I have subsequently made another backup of the system to
> the same device and then tried to restore using the same method, and I get
> the same error message.
> Any ideas anyone? Is it a permissions thing? Did Microsoft ever think this
> whole restore business through properly?
> (btw, I definitely DON'T want to do a complete system restore as the
> registry on the prior system backup has some corruptions in it that I don't
> want back.)
> Thanks in advance, Paul.

Paul Farmer

Re: Vista Backup/Restore - Can't Detect Backup Set
Complete PC Backup

"Cal Bear '66" wrote:

> Did you do a Complete PC Backup or a File backup?
>
> --
> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "Paul Farmer" <PaulFarmer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I backed up my Vista Ultimate system to an attached (USB2) drive, then
> > deleted and reinstalled the system from CD. I now want to get back my user
> > files from the Backup, but when I try (using Restore Files (Advanced)) and
> > navigate the file browser to the drive (which it can see, and so can
> > WinExplorer) it fails with the message "Windows was not able to find any
> > backup sets on E:\". I have subsequently made another backup of the system to
> > the same device and then tried to restore using the same method, and I get
> > the same error message.
> > Any ideas anyone? Is it a permissions thing? Did Microsoft ever think this
> > whole restore business through properly?
> > (btw, I definitely DON'T want to do a complete system restore as the
> > registry on the prior system backup has some corruptions in it that I don't
> > want back.)
> > Thanks in advance, Paul.

Cal Bear '66

Re: Vista Backup/Restore - Can't Detect Backup Set
I do not know if you can restore individual files from a Complete PC Backup. It
is an imaging program to restore your OS, Programs and settings to a known
state. File Backup is what you want to use to backup data. Perhaps someone
else can provide more assistance. Or you can search the Microsoft Knowledge
Base.

--

> Complete PC Backup
>
> "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
>
>> Did you do a Complete PC Backup or a File backup?
>>
>> --
>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>> GO BEARS!
>>

>> "Paul Farmer" <PaulFarmer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I backed up my Vista Ultimate system to an attached (USB2) drive, then
>> > deleted and reinstalled the system from CD. I now want to get back my user
>> > files from the Backup, but when I try (using Restore Files (Advanced)) and
>> > navigate the file browser to the drive (which it can see, and so can
>> > WinExplorer) it fails with the message "Windows was not able to find any
>> > backup sets on E:\". I have subsequently made another backup of the system
>> > the same device and then tried to restore using the same method, and I get
>> > the same error message.
>> > Any ideas anyone? Is it a permissions thing? Did Microsoft ever think this
>> > whole restore business through properly?
>> > (btw, I definitely DON'T want to do a complete system restore as the
>> > registry on the prior system backup has some corruptions in it that I don't
>> > want back.)
>> > Thanks in advance, Paul.

AJR

Re: Vista Backup/Restore - Can't Detect Backup Set
Paul- Cal Bear gave you the "scoop" re: Complete PC>

"Paul Farmer" <PaulFarmer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Complete PC Backup
>
> "Cal Bear '66" wrote:
>
>> Did you do a Complete PC Backup or a File backup?
>>
>> --
>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>> GO BEARS!
>>

>> "Paul Farmer" <PaulFarmer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I backed up my Vista Ultimate system to an attached (USB2) drive, then
>> > deleted and reinstalled the system from CD. I now want to get back my
>> > user
>> > files from the Backup, but when I try (using Restore Files (Advanced))
>> > and
>> > navigate the file browser to the drive (which it can see, and so can
>> > WinExplorer) it fails with the message "Windows was not able to find
>> > any
>> > backup sets on E:\". I have subsequently made another backup of the
>> > system to
>> > the same device and then tried to restore using the same method, and I
>> > get
>> > the same error message.
>> > Any ideas anyone? Is it a permissions thing? Did Microsoft ever think
>> > this
>> > whole restore business through properly?
>> > (btw, I definitely DON'T want to do a complete system restore as the
>> > registry on the prior system backup has some corruptions in it that I
>> > don't
>> > want back.)
>> > Thanks in advance, Paul.

Jamir \(MSFT\)

Re: Vista Backup/Restore - Can't Detect Backup Set
You cannot restore individual files from a Complete PC Backup Set, only the
entire machine. That is possible only with File Backup and not Complete PC
Backup.

Thank you,

Jamir Correa [MSFT]
Microsoft Corporation