Re: Vista won't show file version

anon0918

Re: Vista won't show file version
The files in question are actually DLLs, with different extensions. In XP,
Windows interpreted the file version fine, but Vista doesn't want to. Do we
need to write a DLL that knows how to open that filetype and read the
properties? Can you give me any useful links explaining this?

Thanks.

"zachd [MSFT]" wrote:

> What's the registered Property Handler for that file type?
>
> --
> Speaking for myself only.
> "anon0918" <anon0918@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > XP would always show a file's "Product version" even if it was a file of
> > unknown format. I could go into Details view, add the Product Version
> > column,
> > and it would show up.
> >
> > Now in Vista, the "file version" won't show up unless I switch the file
> > extension to DLL, for example. Even if I right-click the file and go to
> > Properties, there's no version tab (again unless I switch the extension).
> >
> > We're always dealing with file versions in our business so this is very
> > important to be able to easily determine file versions.
> >
> > Even if I associate the file with a program, still nada.

zachd [MSFT]

Re: Vista won't show file version

I would think that investigating IPropertyStore on MSDN would lead you in
the right direction. Additionally, Ben --
http://blogs.msdn.com/benkaras/ -- has written a fair amount about property
handlers for "custom" file types.

As re: reusing existing PropertyHandlers for your own private type -- I'm
not aware of the internals of that code, so couldn't speak to it.

This is definitely not an area of my expertise, but -- hopefully this
propels you along in the right direction.