Side bar taking 50% CPU

Craig008

Side bar taking 50% CPU
i have recently done soem upates to my home build pc and find that now on
most occacions that the side bar takes up 50 cpu and over 213 000 k of memory
which seems a little exsesive, will new driver for my new cpu make any
difference as it is still showing AMD unknown model, any ideas where to get
drivers from??
--
grapes
f/fgeorge

Re: Side bar taking 50% CPU
On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 03:18:02 -0700, Craig008
<Craig008@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>i have recently done soem upates to my home build pc and find that now on
>most occacions that the side bar takes up 50 cpu and over 213 000 k of memory
>which seems a little exsesive, will new driver for my new cpu make any
>difference as it is still showing AMD unknown model, any ideas where to get
>drivers from??

First STOP looking at how much memory is being used by what program,
unused memory is money wasted!!!!! Why did you pay for x amount of
memory if all you want is for it to be free?! Vista now uses almost
all memory for caching purposes, releasing it as programs need it.
This is why Vista can become faster over time. As for the sidebar, do
you have anything 'live' in there? Like a weatehr bug showing you the
temperature, it might have an update frequency but it may not. If it
is updating every 5 seconds, it will need the cpu to do that. Same
thing with any other 'live' things in there. And if they are not
'live' why are they in the sidebar?
Lord Takyon

Re: Side bar taking 50% CPU
"Craig008" <Craig008@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i have recently done soem upates to my home build pc and find that now on
> most occacions that the side bar takes up 50 cpu and over 213 000 k of
> memory
> which seems a little exsesive, will new driver for my new cpu make any
> difference as it is still showing AMD unknown model, any ideas where to
> get
> drivers from??
> --
> grapes

You very possibly have a gadget that does not like your config, I have had a
few that would use CPU and/or lots of RAM. It will take a process of trial
and error to find out which one.

--
Can't think of a sig at the moment.
Read this instead.

Craig008

Re: Side bar taking 50% CPU
yes i thought about the live update things but of i restart the machine it
uses next to no cpu, it just tends to get out of control after it has been on
for two or three days
--
grapes

"Lord Takyon" wrote:

> "Craig008" <Craig008@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >i have recently done soem upates to my home build pc and find that now on
> > most occacions that the side bar takes up 50 cpu and over 213 000 k of
> > memory
> > which seems a little exsesive, will new driver for my new cpu make any
> > difference as it is still showing AMD unknown model, any ideas where to
> > get
> > drivers from??
> > --
> > grapes

> You very possibly have a gadget that does not like your config, I have had a
> few that would use CPU and/or lots of RAM. It will take a process of trial
> and error to find out which one.
>
> --
> Can't think of a sig at the moment.
> Read this instead.

Ladybug

Re: Side bar taking 50% CPU
"First STOP looking at how much memory is being used"

my computer is using about 36% right now and that is how I like it. In my
opinion, it's good to have free memory so I know I can run programs that use
alot of memory with no problem. Memory not being used isn't money wasted.
I am happy with mine using only 36% right now. Then when I load up my Lord
of the Rings Online game for example it runs great. If I didn't have that
free ram then I wouldn't be able to run it.
Maybe some people like to have their memory used up but I don't. Just my
opinion.

"Ladybug" <Ladybug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> "First STOP looking at how much memory is being used"
>
> my computer is using about 36% right now and that is how I like it. In my
> opinion, it's good to have free memory so I know I can run programs that
> use
> alot of memory with no problem. Memory not being used isn't money wasted.
> I am happy with mine using only 36% right now. Then when I load up my
> Lord
> of the Rings Online game for example it runs great. If I didn't have
> that
> free ram then I wouldn't be able to run it.
> Maybe some people like to have their memory used up but I don't. Just my
> opinion.

I think you misunderstand how Vista manages memory.

--
Can't think of a sig at the moment.
Read this instead.

f/fgeorge

Re: Side bar taking 50% CPU
On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 08:30:01 -0700, Ladybug
<Ladybug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"First STOP looking at how much memory is being used"
>
>my computer is using about 36% right now and that is how I like it. In my
>opinion, it's good to have free memory so I know I can run programs that use
>alot of memory with no problem. Memory not being used isn't money wasted.
>I am happy with mine using only 36% right now. Then when I load up my Lord
>of the Rings Online game for example it runs great. If I didn't have that
>free ram then I wouldn't be able to run it.
> Maybe some people like to have their memory used up but I don't. Just my
>opinion.

Your opinion is out dated. We no longer use foot starters in our cars
not push button transmissions either! We MUST evolve to keep up with
technology as it changes. MS has made a huge step in memory
management, hopefully it is a good one. Time will tell, but there is
NO going back at this point! If you want memory free, feel free to
upgrade to the 64 bit version so you can have 8 gig of memory.
Although you will still not have very much free!