Can I shutdown if Vista Defrag is running?

cookie

Can I shutdown if Vista Defrag is running?
Since Vista Defrag does not give us ANY idea at all as to what it is doing,
is it safe to shutdown my notebook whilst it is running silently in the
background?
Spirit

Re: Can I shutdown if Vista Defrag is running?
Yes the Defrag will find a good stopping place and exit.

"cookie" <cookie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Since Vista Defrag does not give us ANY idea at all as to what it is
> doing,
> is it safe to shutdown my notebook whilst it is running silently in the
> background?

Rick Rogers

Re: Can I shutdown if Vista Defrag is running?
Hi,

Yes, it is a service. Like any service, it will halt on the terminate
command prior to the system powering off. When you power on, the service
restarts and picks up where it left off.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"cookie" <cookie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Since Vista Defrag does not give us ANY idea at all as to what it is
> doing,
> is it safe to shutdown my notebook whilst it is running silently in the
> background?

RonKa

Re: Can I shutdown if Vista Defrag is running?
Cookie:

I dislike Vista Defrag because as you stated it runs without notice. My
brand new HP Pavilion 9500 NTO Notebook PC started running Defrag ( HP had it
set up to run) and I turned off my computer when it was running without
knowing that until I checked Event Viewer and then learned how to find the
Defrag page through help. I then did a Manual Defrag (removed the automatic
function) and it took 2 hours 49 minutes to do the defrag on a drive I had on
the new PC for just 3 days! I then got (The shadow copies of volume E: were
aborted because the shadow copy storage could not grow due to a user imposed
limit) even though I never authorized the shadowing of Recovery Drive E: by
checking the box next to E: for Volsnap.

I do not like programs running in the backgroud without prompts to notify
the user because of possible conflicts with other programs and because of
unknowingly performing a Shut Down at the wrong time.

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Yes, it is a service. Like any service, it will halt on the terminate
> command prior to the system powering off. When you power on, the service
> restarts and picks up where it left off.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "cookie" <cookie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Since Vista Defrag does not give us ANY idea at all as to what it is
> > doing,
> > is it safe to shutdown my notebook whilst it is running silently in the
> > background?

cookie

Re: Can I shutdown if Vista Defrag is running?
Thanks to everyone for your reply.
Cookie