Vista goes AWOL

Grant

Vista goes AWOL
Hi All, I've struck a problem on several client's machines running Vista
recently and was wondering if anyone can help. Often, usually not long after
startup, Vista starts something running in the background and whatever it is
virtullay brings the unit to a halt, hard disk I/O is flat out and often the
display is greyed out. the cursor turns into the circle and you get no
response from the machine including ctl+alt+del. I've checked all the usual
suspects: antivirus scan, defragg, turned defender off, etc. but nothing
seems to make any difference and this can take over half an hour to
finish/clear. This is starting to really annoy some of my clients who arrive
at work and want to get working, but can't - Any ideas, suggestions or links
would really be appreciated. Thanks.
--
Grant Turri-Petrie
RonKa

RE: Vista goes AWOL
Grant,

It has got to be a driver conflict. What does Event Viewer display as any
error messages? I have a similar problem on Statup if I have my wireless
receiver for my mouse and keyboard attached to a USB port on my xb 3000
docking station. The machine will boot up if the USB is detached but will
not if it is attached when booting up. The screen stays blank, all the blue
lights are ON but nothing happens until I do a Hard Shut Down then restart my
computer with the receiver detached the after the machine starts I plug the
reciever in and all is well.