Why can't I backup to network drive?

Thomas Thomassen

Why can't I backup to network drive?
Hi
I'm setting up my secondary PC (with Vista) to act as a backup server.

From my primary I've set up successfully to backup all files to a mapped
network drive.
However, when I try to do a full Computer Backup the network drive is not
listed as an option to back up on to. All I get is to back up to DVDs.

Anyone know why this is the case?

-Thom

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Re: Why can't I backup to network drive?
What version of Windows Vista are you running?

Network Backup is only available in Windows Vista Home Premium,
Windows Vista Business, and Windows Vista Ultimate.

Take a look at wbadmin.exe, which is the command-line version of Complete PC
Backup. This will allow you to back up to a target network share.

Windows Vista Complete PC Backup and Recovery screencast
https://blogs.technet.com/keithcombs...25/451838.aspx

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Thomas Thomassen" wrote:

Hi
I'm setting up my secondary PC (with Vista) to act as a backup server.

From my primary I've set up successfully to backup all files to a mapped
network drive.
However, when I try to do a full Computer Backup the network drive is not
listed as an option to back up on to. All I get is to back up to DVDs.

Anyone know why this is the case?

-Thom
Thomas Thomassen

Re: Why can't I backup to network drive?
Both are running Vista Ultimate.
I'll have a look at the command line, though I'd prefer to use the GUI.

If a "Network Share" different from a mapped network drive?

What I've done is share a drive on my secondary pc, allowing full access.
Then mapped it to Z: on my primary.

> What version of Windows Vista are you running?
>
> Network Backup is only available in Windows Vista Home Premium,
> Windows Vista Business, and Windows Vista Ultimate.
>
> Take a look at wbadmin.exe, which is the command-line version of Complete
> PC
> Backup. This will allow you to back up to a target network share.
>
> Windows Vista Complete PC Backup and Recovery screencast
> https://blogs.technet.com/keithcombs...25/451838.aspx
>

> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User

> "Thomas Thomassen" wrote:
>
> Hi
> I'm setting up my secondary PC (with Vista) to act as a backup server.
>
> From my primary I've set up successfully to backup all files to a mapped
> network drive.
> However, when I try to do a full Computer Backup the network drive is not
> listed as an option to back up on to. All I get is to back up to DVDs.
>
> Anyone know why this is the case?
>
> -Thom

Thomas Thomassen

Re: Why can't I backup to network drive?
Does it require a whole HD to itself to backup whole PCs to? Can I not
spesify just a folder on a driver?