Window Preference

mmazur

Window Preference
I am not sure how to explain this so here goes. While I am working in one
window, something takes preferenece in the background.

For example:
While typing a sites URL in the address bar of IE something will take
preference and I can no longer type. In order to get back to the URL I need
to click on the window and "tell" my computer to get back to IE.

I know this sounds ridiculous, but I cannot explain it any better.
Regardless, it is driving me nuts so any help would be greatly appreciated!
R. C. White

Re: Window Preference
Hi, mmazur.

It's called "stealing focus" when a background program suddenly jumps to the
foreground. It is at least distracting, often a nuisance, and sometimes
downright dangerous!

Some Windows programs have had this problem for years. We've complained
about it often and loudly and MS has managed to fix some of the programs,
but others still have the problem.

The one that bothers me the most is here in WLM (formerly in OE and WM).
I'll be composing a message, like I'm doing right now. Suddenly, the main
WLM window will steal focus from the Compose window and my keystrokes will
be executed in that main window - often with disastrous results. For some
reason, it happens often when I've just made a typo and am backspacing
several letters to fix it. Suddenly, my backspaces are being applied to my
main WLM window, closing the mail or news folder I've been working in and
putting me back to the top of the folder list - if I'm lucky and it doesn't
somehow delete something important before I notice and release the backspace
or other key.

I'm sorry that I don't have a fix for you. Just sympathy - and empathy.
:>(

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA