Can You Increase default maximum allowed shadow storage space?

RonKa

Can You Increase default maximum allowed shadow storage space?
Victoria House wrote this in a Defrag question post:

There is a default maximum allowed shadow storage space (15% of volume), so
you needn't fear your free space decreasing until there's none left.

-Victoria

Can the space be increased above 15% of volume on each disk volume in Vista
as one could do in XP?

Note: thanks to MSFT experts such as Victoria, and others for making this
group very productive and useful.

Bert Kinney

Re: Can You Increase default maximum allowed shadow storage space?
Hi,

I don't think the % of disk can be increased, but the Shadowstorage space
can be changed in size.

Before attempting to resize, lets check and see what the size if the
Shadowstorage area is and how much of it is being used.

From within an administrator account open the command prompt. To do so go
to Start – All Programs – Accessories and click on the Command Prompt. It
may be necessary to right click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
Copy and paste the following command them press enter.

vssadmin list shadowstorage

Paste the results here.

More information on how to adjust disk space in Windows Vista:
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/diskspacev.html

Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://bertk.mvps.org
Member: http://dts-l.org

RonKa wrote:
> Victoria House wrote this in a Defrag question post:
>
> There is a default maximum allowed shadow storage space (15% of volume), so
> you needn't fear your free space decreasing until there's none left.
>
> -Victoria
>
> Can the space be increased above 15% of volume on each disk volume in Vista
> as one could do in XP?
>
> Note: thanks to MSFT experts such as Victoria, and others for making this
> group very productive and useful.

RonKa

Re: Can You Increase default maximum allowed shadow storage space?
For C: which has 48.7 GB free of 83.4 GB:

Used Shadow Copy Storage space: 9.873 GB
Allocated Shadow Copy Storage space: 10.457 GB
Maximum Shadow Copy Storage space: 12.519 GB

I get this Event Viewer IFORMATION Event 33:
The oldest shadow copy of volume C: was deleted to keep disk space usage for
shadow copies of volume C: below the user defined limit.

For E: (My Recovery Drive which I never had checked to do System Restore
Points) I got the same INFORMATION as C: (E: has 2.6 GB free of 9.6 GB) then
I got this Event Viewer ERROR:

The shadow copies of volume E: were aborted because the shadow copy storage
could not grow due to a user imposed limit. Volsnap Event ID 36

Used Shadow Copy Storage space: 1.156 MB
Allocated Shadow Copy Storage space: 100 MB
Maximum Shadow Copy Storage space: 897.572 MB

I guess E: is just a partion of C:?

I got all the above INFORMATION & ERROR messases in Event Viewer after I did
my first Defrag after using my new Vista Ulitmate 64 bit HP notebook for 4
days. My machine loaded more quickly after I did the defrag because I had
added many new programs.

Thank also Bert for the information on the right-click on the Command Prompt.

So far I DO NOT like Vista.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______________________________________

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I don't think the % of disk can be increased, but the Shadowstorage space
> can be changed in size.
>
> Before attempting to resize, lets check and see what the size if the
> Shadowstorage area is and how much of it is being used.
>
> From within an administrator account open the command prompt. To do so go
> to Start – All Programs – Accessories and click on the Command Prompt. It
> may be necessary to right click Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.
> Copy and paste the following command them press enter.
>
> vssadmin list shadowstorage
>
> Paste the results here.
>
> More information on how to adjust disk space in Windows Vista:
> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/diskspacev.html
>

> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://bertk.mvps.org
> Member: http://dts-l.org
>

> RonKa wrote:
> > Victoria House wrote this in a Defrag question post:
> >
> > There is a default maximum allowed shadow storage space (15% of volume), so
> > you needn't fear your free space decreasing until there's none left.
> >
> > -Victoria
> >
> > Can the space be increased above 15% of volume on each disk volume in Vista
> > as one could do in XP?
> >
> > Note: thanks to MSFT experts such as Victoria, and others for making this
> > group very productive and useful.

Bert Kinney

Re: Can You Increase default maximum allowed shadow storage space?
Hi,

The C: volume looks ok.

I have a second volume for storage not being monitored by System Restore and
there's no shadow copy's being stored.

At the elevated command prompt, paste the following command then press enter

vssadmin Delete ShadowStorage /For=E:

Then do the same for this command then post the results here.