Excel - "has stopped working" - WHY???

Alex

Excel - "has stopped working" - WHY???
Does anyone know why nearly every time I close a file in Excel it stops
working? i keep getting the rather useful messages telling me it's stopped
working and then that it's restarting. It's driving me mad!!
Rick Rogers

Re: Excel - "has stopped working" - WHY???
Hi Alex,

A question better suited for an Office group, however see if this helps:

First, make sure you've downloaded and installed any updates from Office
Update:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/do...s/default.aspx

Second, click the Office Icon button at upper left, then Excel Options. Go
to Resources in the left column, then click on the line to "run microsoft
office diagnostics".

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Alex" <Alex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Does anyone know why nearly every time I close a file in Excel it stops
> working? i keep getting the rather useful messages telling me it's
> stopped
> working and then that it's restarting. It's driving me mad!!

Alex

Re: Excel - "has stopped working" - WHY???
Thanks Rick! However, I really should have mentioned that this happening
using Vista + Office 2003, not 2007.

Any ideas now?

Alex

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> A question better suited for an Office group, however see if this helps:
>
> First, make sure you've downloaded and installed any updates from Office
> Update:
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/do...s/default.aspx
>
> Second, click the Office Icon button at upper left, then Excel Options. Go
> to Resources in the left column, then click on the line to "run microsoft
> office diagnostics".
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Alex" <Alex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Does anyone know why nearly every time I close a file in Excel it stops
> > working? i keep getting the rather useful messages telling me it's
> > stopped
> > working and then that it's restarting. It's driving me mad!!

Rick Rogers

Re: Excel - "has stopped working" - WHY???
Hi Alex,

They both still apply, though the repair method for 2003 is different. IIRC,
you will find it under the Help menu in that version, or you can simply
insert the CD and use the repair option.

--

> Thanks Rick! However, I really should have mentioned that this happening
> using Vista + Office 2003, not 2007.
>
> Any ideas now?
>
> Alex
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi Alex,
>>
>> A question better suited for an Office group, however see if this helps:
>>
>> First, make sure you've downloaded and installed any updates from Office
>> Update:
>> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/do...s/default.aspx
>>
>> Second, click the Office Icon button at upper left, then Excel Options.
>> Go
>> to Resources in the left column, then click on the line to "run microsoft
>> office diagnostics".
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Alex" <Alex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Does anyone know why nearly every time I close a file in Excel it stops
>> > working? i keep getting the rather useful messages telling me it's
>> > stopped
>> > working and then that it's restarting. It's driving me mad!!

Alex

Re: Excel - "has stopped working" - WHY???
Hi,

I tried your solution but it's just happened again. All I did was open an
Excel document, print it, then close it again using the "x" in the top right
corner. I repeated this again but closed it using "File", "Exit" and Excel
stopped working again.

Any other ideas?

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi Alex,
>
> They both still apply, though the repair method for 2003 is different. IIRC,
> you will find it under the Help menu in that version, or you can simply
> insert the CD and use the repair option.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Alex" <Alex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks Rick! However, I really should have mentioned that this happening
> > using Vista + Office 2003, not 2007.
> >
> > Any ideas now?
> >
> > Alex
> >
> > "Rick Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Alex,
> >>
> >> A question better suited for an Office group, however see if this helps:
> >>
> >> First, make sure you've downloaded and installed any updates from Office
> >> Update:
> >> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/do...s/default.aspx
> >>
> >> Second, click the Office Icon button at upper left, then Excel Options.
> >> Go
> >> to Resources in the left column, then click on the line to "run microsoft
> >> office diagnostics".
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Rick Rogers

Re: Excel - "has stopped working" - WHY???
Hi,

No, not really, as I said initially this question would be better suited for
an Office group.

--

> Hi,
>
> I tried your solution but it's just happened again. All I did was open an
> Excel document, print it, then close it again using the "x" in the top
> right
> corner. I repeated this again but closed it using "File", "Exit" and
> Excel
> stopped working again.
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi Alex,
>>
>> They both still apply, though the repair method for 2003 is different.
>> IIRC,
>> you will find it under the Help menu in that version, or you can simply
>> insert the CD and use the repair option.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Alex" <Alex@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Thanks Rick! However, I really should have mentioned that this
>> > happening
>> > using Vista + Office 2003, not 2007.
>> >
>> > Any ideas now?
>> >
>> > Alex

Alex

Re: Excel - "has stopped working" - WHY???
Thanks for your help. I'm not entirely sure where to go from here so will
just post the thread up again somewhere else. Thanks anyway.

You might try these for starters: