hardware problems or virus

K8 notsogrand

hardware problems or virus
I posted a question yesterday about my power supply. (Thanks for reponce)

I'm wondering if I pick up a virus or spyware before the PSU died?
Becouse my PC was acting strange 3 or 4 days before that.
Like;
would not burn dvd,
internet slowed down, infact all programs slow to boot up,
vista would not restart.( had to shut the computer right off)
memery use went from 45-65% to 70-95% With only one program running
vista would boot up then the screen would go black for few seconds. or would
not come on at all.

I ran Norton antivirus and system Mechanic 7 and found nothing.

Spirit

Re: hardware problems or virus
Low Power could easily account for all those problems.

"K8 notsogrand" <K8notsogrand@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I posted a question yesterday about my power supply. (Thanks for reponce)
>
> I'm wondering if I pick up a virus or spyware before the PSU died?
> Becouse my PC was acting strange 3 or 4 days before that.
> Like;
> would not burn dvd,
> internet slowed down, infact all programs slow to boot up,
> vista would not restart.( had to shut the computer right off)
> memery use went from 45-65% to 70-95% With only one program running
> vista would boot up then the screen would go black for few seconds. or
> would
> not come on at all.
>
> I ran Norton antivirus and system Mechanic 7 and found nothing.

Rick Rogers

Re: hardware problems or virus
Indeed. Bad voltage can cause all sorts of flakey, unexpected responses from
programs.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Spirit" <noone@notthere.net> wrote in message
> Low Power could easily account for all those problems.
>

> "K8 notsogrand" <K8notsogrand@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I posted a question yesterday about my power supply. (Thanks for reponce)
>>
>> I'm wondering if I pick up a virus or spyware before the PSU died?
>> Becouse my PC was acting strange 3 or 4 days before that.
>> Like;
>> would not burn dvd,
>> internet slowed down, infact all programs slow to boot up,
>> vista would not restart.( had to shut the computer right off)
>> memery use went from 45-65% to 70-95% With only one program running
>> vista would boot up then the screen would go black for few seconds. or
>> would
>> not come on at all.
>>
>> I ran Norton antivirus and system Mechanic 7 and found nothing.

K8 notsogrand

Re: hardware problems or virus
Well my main machine is back on line with a new power supply.And working good
until I had to resart windows. the dam thing still won't restart!!
Shut the computer off then turn it back on and every thing boots up fine.
This starting to piss me off!!!

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Indeed. Bad voltage can cause all sorts of flakey, unexpected responses from
> programs.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Spirit" <noone@notthere.net> wrote in message
> > Low Power could easily account for all those problems.
> >

> > "K8 notsogrand" <K8notsogrand@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>I posted a question yesterday about my power supply. (Thanks for reponce)
> >>
> >> I'm wondering if I pick up a virus or spyware before the PSU died?
> >> Becouse my PC was acting strange 3 or 4 days before that.
> >> Like;
> >> would not burn dvd,
> >> internet slowed down, infact all programs slow to boot up,
> >> vista would not restart.( had to shut the computer right off)
> >> memery use went from 45-65% to 70-95% With only one program running
> >> vista would boot up then the screen would go black for few seconds. or
> >> would
> >> not come on at all.
> >>
> >> I ran Norton antivirus and system Mechanic 7 and found nothing.

Rick Rogers

Re: hardware problems or virus
Hi,

Recheck that all cabling is fully seated, including wires you did not touch.
Something may have been jarred loose, perhaps one of the switch wires going
to the motherboard itself. It is also possible that the old PSU damaged the
Windows installation, you might check the event viewer for error messages
related to such.

--

> Well my main machine is back on line with a new power supply.And working
> good
> until I had to resart windows. the dam thing still won't restart!!
> Shut the computer off then turn it back on and every thing boots up fine.
> This starting to piss me off!!!
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Indeed. Bad voltage can cause all sorts of flakey, unexpected responses
>> from
>> programs.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Spirit" <noone@notthere.net> wrote in message
>> > Low Power could easily account for all those problems.
>> >

>> > "K8 notsogrand" <K8notsogrand@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> > message

K8 notsogrand

Re: hardware problems or virus

Hi

Well I double checked all the conections. Everything is good there.
There was an harddisk error in the event viewer. But nothing from yesterday.
The error messge said to replace the cable from hard drive to the motherboard.
I don't think this is the problem.
but I'm goning to replace it anyway.

This is what its doing when I try to restart.
First the monitor gose onto power save mode.
the harddrive spins up and starts working
Then I can hear the windows chime start.
Then I get green dots accros the screen and then the monitor shuts off.

And it keeps doing this over and over. Until finnaly I have to turn the
power supply off. (This is not good for my computer)

It started doing this before I installed the new PSU. And it still doing the
exect same thing.

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Recheck that all cabling is fully seated, including wires you did not touch.
> Something may have been jarred loose, perhaps one of the switch wires going
> to the motherboard itself. It is also possible that the old PSU damaged the
> Windows installation, you might check the event viewer for error messages
> related to such.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "K8 notsogrand" <K8notsogrand@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Well my main machine is back on line with a new power supply.And working
> > good
> > until I had to resart windows. the dam thing still won't restart!!
> > Shut the computer off then turn it back on and every thing boots up fine.
> > This starting to piss me off!!!
> >
> > "Rick Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Indeed. Bad voltage can cause all sorts of flakey, unexpected responses
> >> from
> >> programs.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

w_tom

Re: hardware problems or virus
On Aug 11, 1:10 pm, K8 notsogrand
<K8notsogr...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> This is what its doing when I try to restart.
> First the monitor gose onto power save mode.
> the harddrive spins up and starts working
> Then I can hear the windows chime start.
> Then I get green dots accros the screen and then the monitor shuts off.
>
> And it keeps doing this over and over. Until finnaly I have to turn the
> power supply off. (This is not good for my computer)
>
> It started doing this before I installed the new PSU. And it still doing the
> exect same thing.

We have no reason to believe the new power supply is even working.
We cannot know that until we have voltage numbers from purple, orange,
red, and yellow wire from power supply to motherboard. Based upon
what was posted, we have only speculation that the original supply was
defective. Yes, a bad supply can make everything else work strange.
But the problem could be due to any other part of the power supply
'system'.

First establish that the power supply system is working by using
minimal information from those four wires. Only then can we move on
to other suspects. Without those numbers, we have no idea what is
causing those problems AND may be chasing ghosts.

K8 notsogrand

Re: hardware problems or virus
What???

If the power supply is not working, then whats powering my computer right
now..

And no, I dont have voltage meter.

"w_tom" wrote:

> On Aug 11, 1:10 pm, K8 notsogrand
> <K8notsogr...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > This is what its doing when I try to restart.
> > First the monitor gose onto power save mode.
> > the harddrive spins up and starts working
> > Then I can hear the windows chime start.
> > Then I get green dots accros the screen and then the monitor shuts off.
> >
> > And it keeps doing this over and over. Until finnaly I have to turn the
> > power supply off. (This is not good for my computer)
> >
> > It started doing this before I installed the new PSU. And it still doing the
> > exect same thing.

> We have no reason to believe the new power supply is even working.
> We cannot know that until we have voltage numbers from purple, orange,
> red, and yellow wire from power supply to motherboard. Based upon
> what was posted, we have only speculation that the original supply was
> defective. Yes, a bad supply can make everything else work strange.
> But the problem could be due to any other part of the power supply
> 'system'.
>
> First establish that the power supply system is working by using
> minimal information from those four wires. Only then can we move on
> to other suspects. Without those numbers, we have no idea what is
> causing those problems AND may be chasing ghosts.

w_tom

Re: hardware problems or virus
On Aug 12, 2:18 am, K8 notsogrand
<K8notsogr...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> If the power supply is not working, then whats powering my computer right
> now..
>
> And no, I dont have voltage meter.

If computer is not powered, then power supply is still powering some
computer parts. Why pull AC power cord from wall before changing
anything? Because even if computer does not power on, still, the many
parts of a power supply 'system' still have voltage.

Not having a meter is like not having a screwdriver. Meter and
screw driver are such standard tools that both are sold even in
Kmart. Are K-mart shoppers geniuses? No meter is no excuse. If you
want to fix it, then you get a 3.5 digit meter. A tool so
inexpensive, so powerful, and also sold in Wal-mart, Loews, Radio
Shack, Sears, Home Depot, and Tru-Value Hardware. Even Ipods are more
complex.

I thought you were asking for help. Based in everything posted,
then replies will only be wild speculation. If you want help, your
replies will only be as useful as information you provide. Currently
you have provided near zero useful information. Get the meter. Learn
how much is known in less than one minute.

If you want to solve the problem quickly, get that meter. Measure
purple wire DC voltage on the 20 volts scale both before and when
power switch is pressed. Post those numbers here. Learn where to
look for the defect.

Did you know that all powered off comptuers are still powered? Power
cord must be disconnected before moving anything inside the machine.
Why? Because even a computer that will not power on contains voltages
when power cord connects to AC wall receptacle.

K8 notsogrand

Re: hardware problems or virus
I'm not trying to be rude or anything.
But your saying even if the computer is up and working fine. I can still
have a bad PSU