System Restore Shadow Copy Problem

rmeacham

System Restore Shadow Copy Problem
I have a folder under C:\Users\username\Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects
that contains C# code and a compiled dll that is used in a few different
applications. When I perform a system restore, the entire c# folder is
restored back to the same point as the system restore point. I was able to
use the shadow copy feature to recover changes I made. However, performing a
system restore should not affect user data (in this case my c# code). Is
there a way to tell Vista that this is a user directory and not a system
directory.
Rick Rogers

Re: System Restore Shadow Copy Problem
Hi,

As you can read here:
http://www.microsoft.com/middleeast/...ne/backup.mspx,
the shadow copies of user data are now part of the system restore process.
To my knowledge, there is no way to single out folders and exempt them from
this process. I would consider moving the data, or even the entire user
accounts documents folder, to a different volume and ensuring that drive is
not monitored (System Protection tab of the advanced system properties).

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"rmeacham" <rmeacham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a folder under C:\Users\username\Documents\Visual Studio
>2005\Projects
> that contains C# code and a compiled dll that is used in a few different
> applications. When I perform a system restore, the entire c# folder is
> restored back to the same point as the system restore point. I was able
> use the shadow copy feature to recover changes I made. However,
> performing a
> system restore should not affect user data (in this case my c# code). Is
> there a way to tell Vista that this is a user directory and not a system
> directory.

rmeacham

Re: System Restore Shadow Copy Problem
I would still think this is a bug. System restore should not replace user
data files.
"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As you can read here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/middleeast/...ne/backup.mspx,
> the shadow copies of user data are now part of the system restore process.
> To my knowledge, there is no way to single out folders and exempt them from
> this process. I would consider moving the data, or even the entire user
> accounts documents folder, to a different volume and ensuring that drive is
> not monitored (System Protection tab of the advanced system properties).
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "rmeacham" <rmeacham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a folder under C:\Users\username\Documents\Visual Studio
> >2005\Projects
> > that contains C# code and a compiled dll that is used in a few different
> > applications. When I perform a system restore, the entire c# folder is
> > restored back to the same point as the system restore point. I was able
> > use the shadow copy feature to recover changes I made. However,
> > performing a
> > system restore should not affect user data (in this case my c# code). Is
> > there a way to tell Vista that this is a user directory and not a system
> > directory.

Rick Rogers

Re: System Restore Shadow Copy Problem
A bug by design. It's supposed to behave this way to replace any user files
with known good copies in the event of system corruption. Something that was
actually a common complaint in XP, that System Restore did not protect user
data. My thought is that more configurability would be a nice thing to
offer.

--

>I would still think this is a bug. System restore should not replace user
> data files.
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> As you can read here:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/middleeast/...ne/backup.mspx,
>> the shadow copies of user data are now part of the system restore
>> process.
>> To my knowledge, there is no way to single out folders and exempt them
>> from
>> this process. I would consider moving the data, or even the entire user
>> accounts documents folder, to a different volume and ensuring that drive
>> is
>> not monitored (System Protection tab of the advanced system properties).
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "rmeacham" <rmeacham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a folder under C:\Users\username\Documents\Visual Studio
>> >2005\Projects
>> > that contains C# code and a compiled dll that is used in a few
>> > different
>> > applications. When I perform a system restore, the entire c# folder is
>> > restored back to the same point as the system restore point. I was
>> > able
>> > use the shadow copy feature to recover changes I made. However,
>> > performing a
>> > system restore should not affect user data (in this case my c# code).
>> > Is
>> > there a way to tell Vista that this is a user directory and not a
>> > system
>> > directory.

rmeacham

Re: System Restore Shadow Copy Problem
I have a different folder at the same level that contains java code. The
system restore did not reset the java code folder. In fact as far as I can
tell no other user files on my machine were reverted back to the restore
point. Only this one folder. Do you know how, if this is by design, the
system restore decides what to restore and what to ignore?

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> A bug by design. It's supposed to behave this way to replace any user files
> with known good copies in the event of system corruption. Something that was
> actually a common complaint in XP, that System Restore did not protect user
> data. My thought is that more configurability would be a nice thing to
> offer.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "rmeacham" <rmeacham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I would still think this is a bug. System restore should not replace user
> > data files.
> > "Rick Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> As you can read here:
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/middleeast/...ne/backup.mspx,
> >> the shadow copies of user data are now part of the system restore
> >> process.
> >> To my knowledge, there is no way to single out folders and exempt them
> >> from
> >> this process. I would consider moving the data, or even the entire user
> >> accounts documents folder, to a different volume and ensuring that drive
> >> is
> >> not monitored (System Protection tab of the advanced system properties).
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

> >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Rick Rogers

Re: System Restore Shadow Copy Problem
Hi,

To my knowledge, it doesn't "decide" anything other than to grab the shadow
copies when a system restore is invoked. Like I said, probably the simplest
solution would be to move the user account's document folder to another,
unmonitored volume.

--

newsA617ED7-D042-4206-8FB6-65A9E104D316@microsoft.com...