Multiple Complete PC Backup Points on Vista

_@dm1n

Multiple Complete PC Backup Points on Vista
This is a 2 part question;

Each time I run the Complete PC Backup, the previous backup gets overwritten.

1. Can you have multiple Complete PC Backup points?

When I copy the contents from the WindowsImageBackup folder to another
location and proceed with another Complete PC backup in an attempt to create
a second restore point, Windows Backup Utility will not detect the first
backup point.

2. How do you restore a Complete PC Backup point if it has moved from the
original WindowsImageBackup folder?

---

Note: I used the Vista CD to boot into the repair console each time.
chloe1977

Re: Multiple Complete PC Backup Points on Vista

_@dm1n;413773 Wrote:
> This is a 2 part question;
>
> Each time I run the Complete PC Backup, the previous backup gets
> overwritten.
>
> 1. Can you have multiple Complete PC Backup points?
>
> When I copy the contents from the WindowsImageBackup folder to another
> location and proceed with another Complete PC backup in an attempt to
> create
> a second restore point, Windows Backup Utility will not detect the
> first
> backup point.
>
> 2. How do you restore a Complete PC Backup point if it has moved from
> the
> original WindowsImageBackup folder?
>
> Note: I used the Vista CD to boot into the repair console each time.

I'm having the same problem, can anyone please help us?

thank you very much

--
chloe1977
news.eclipse.co.uk

Re: Multiple Complete PC Backup Points on Vista
Chloe - I use Acronis true image for this - it works well.

"chloe1977" <chloe1977.385791@no-mx.forums.net> wrote in message

> _@dm1n;413773 Wrote:
>> This is a 2 part question;
>>
>> Each time I run the Complete PC Backup, the previous backup gets
>> overwritten.
>>
>> 1. Can you have multiple Complete PC Backup points?
>>
>> When I copy the contents from the WindowsImageBackup folder to another
>> location and proceed with another Complete PC backup in an attempt to
>> create
>> a second restore point, Windows Backup Utility will not detect the
>> first
>> backup point.
>>
>> 2. How do you restore a Complete PC Backup point if it has moved from
>> the
>> original WindowsImageBackup folder?
>>
>> Note: I used the Vista CD to boot into the repair console each time.

> I'm having the same problem, can anyone please help us?
>
> thank you very much
>

> --
> chloe1977

chloe1977

Re: Multiple Complete PC Backup Points on Vista

Thank you, but I already figured it out.

You need to partition your backup hard drive for every additional Vista
backup image you make.

So if you want 3 separate Vista backup images on one hard drive, then
you must make 3 formatted partitions on that hard drive.

Thanks for your time.

--
chloe1977
DevilsPGD

Re: Multiple Complete PC Backup Points on Vista
In message <639330a99525132527c723c755d1afc6@nntp-gateway.com> chloe1977
<guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

>Thank you, but I already figured it out.
>
>You need to partition your backup hard drive for every additional Vista
>backup image you make.
>
>So if you want 3 separate Vista backup images on one hard drive, then
>you must make 3 formatted partitions on that hard drive.
>

>Thanks for your time.

Are you using Complete PC Backup? If so, that shouldn't be needed as
long as your primary Vista installations have their own machine names,
and the backup drive has adequate free space.
chloe1977

Re: Multiple Complete PC Backup Points on Vista

"Are you using Complete PC Backup? If so, that shouldn't be needed as
long as your primary Vista installations have their own machine names,
and the backup drive has adequate free space."

Hello, yes Iím using Complete PC Backup.

Hmm, not too sure what you mean about changing the machine names?
Are you saying if I change the machine name before each backup I don't
need to partition the HDD?

--
chloe1977
DevilsPGD

Re: Multiple Complete PC Backup Points on Vista
In message <fbd0627da4fdecc5815c97754c8c6703@nntp-gateway.com> chloe1977
<guest@unknown-email.com> wrote:

>"Are you using Complete PC Backup? If so, that shouldn't be needed as
>long as your primary Vista installations have their own machine names,
>and the backup drive has adequate free space."
>
>Hello, yes Iím using Complete PC Backup.
>
>Hmm, not too sure what you mean about changing the machine names?
>Are you saying if I change the machine name before each backup I don't
>need to partition the HDD?

What I am saying is that you can store multiple backups of multiple
machines on a single drive.

The only time you'll run into problems are below:

1) When you run low on space, in which case I'm not entirely sure how
Windows Backup decides which backups to delete, whether it's the oldest
across the board, or the oldest made by the current system, but in
either case, you'll lose one or more old backups.

2) I you have two different Windows installations that have the same
name backing up to the same drive. WB detects that the old backup
doesn't match and appears to delete the old one.

3) If your shadow copies on your Vista installation become corrupt. When
this happens, it will invalidate older backups when a new backup is
performed. Any chance you're dual booting with a non-Vista OS on the
same physical hardware as a Vista OS (whether or not the backup hard
drive is connected)?
chloe1977

Re: Multiple Complete PC Backup Points on Vista

::Iím just using one operating system Ė Vista 64.::

::I know there are a lot of people with this problem and the only thing
that seems to work for my colleagues and I is to make a separate
partition for each backup image.::

::We need one complete backup of just the operating system.::
::One for the operating system and drivers.::
::One for operating system, drivers and programs.::
::One for operating system, drivers, programs and documents.::

::We found that trying to do this on a spare formatted partitioned
drive using Vista 64 complete PC backup, it would merge all the images
together and this is no good, because we need 4 separate complete PC
backup images.::

::Anyway, itís not really a problem partitioning the drives Ė only
takes a second and then the backups work fine.::

--
chloe1977