hard drive is driving me crazy

torque

hard drive is driving me crazy
Hello!
I've just got new laptop lately. I did not install anything suspicious, just
some office software. For some time already, after I log in, hard drive
keeps spinning for more less 10-15 minutes. It's difficult to work during
that period, everything slows down just because disk is spinning like crazy.
Maybe I turned on some service, but I do not remember what could cause such
a slow down. Any ideas what is going on?

Thanks

Cal Bear '66

Re: hard drive is driving me crazy
It is probably just indexing, superfetch, etc. This is normal and you should
just give it a few days and it will calm down.

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!

"torque" <no@address.com> wrote in message
> Hello!
> I've just got new laptop lately. I did not install anything suspicious, just
> some office software. For some time already, after I log in, hard drive keeps
> spinning for more less 10-15 minutes. It's difficult to work during that
> period, everything slows down just because disk is spinning like crazy. Maybe
> I turned on some service, but I do not remember what could cause such a slow
> down. Any ideas what is going on?
>
> Thanks

Paul Smith

Re: hard drive is driving me crazy
"torque" <no@address.com> wrote in message

> I've just got new laptop lately. I did not install anything suspicious,
> just some office software. For some time already, after I log in, hard
> drive keeps spinning for more less 10-15 minutes. It's difficult to work
> during that period, everything slows down just because disk is spinning
> like crazy. Maybe I turned on some service, but I do not remember what
> could cause such a slow down. Any ideas what is going on?

Indexing is pretty heavy for the first day or two after installing, and
should become much lighter once its built the index.

There's also SuperFetch, which on my Tablet keeps the disc busy for a minute
or two after a fresh boot (which is why I sleep).

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

Victek

Re: hard drive is driving me crazy
> Hello!
> I've just got new laptop lately. I did not install anything suspicious,
> just some office software. For some time already, after I log in, hard
> drive keeps spinning for more less 10-15 minutes. It's difficult to work
> during that period, everything slows down just because disk is spinning
> like crazy. Maybe I turned on some service, but I do not remember what
> could cause such a slow down. Any ideas what is going on?

Are you using a flash drive for ReadyBoost? If so I suggest you stop for a
while until the indexing activity slows, because ReadyBoost creates
additional disk activity when the computer first boots. In fact, if you
have more then one gig of ram you will probably experience better over all
performance without ReadyBoost.

torque

Re: hard drive is driving me crazy
It's already two months.
What superfetch is?

thx

"Cal Bear '66" <xxx@xxx.org> wrote in message
> It is probably just indexing, superfetch, etc. This is normal and you
> should just give it a few days and it will calm down.
>
> --
> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "torque" <no@address.com> wrote in message
>> Hello!
>> I've just got new laptop lately. I did not install anything suspicious,
>> just some office software. For some time already, after I log in, hard
>> drive keeps spinning for more less 10-15 minutes. It's difficult to work
>> during that period, everything slows down just because disk is spinning
>> like crazy. Maybe I turned on some service, but I do not remember what
>> could cause such a slow down. Any ideas what is going on?
>>
>> Thanks

torque

"Paul Smith" <Paul@nospam.windowsresource.net> wrote in message
> "torque" <no@address.com> wrote in message
>
>> I've just got new laptop lately. I did not install anything suspicious,
>> just some office software. For some time already, after I log in, hard
>> drive keeps spinning for more less 10-15 minutes. It's difficult to work
>> during that period, everything slows down just because disk is spinning
>> like crazy. Maybe I turned on some service, but I do not remember what
>> could cause such a slow down. Any ideas what is going on?

> Indexing is pretty heavy for the first day or two after installing, and
> should become much lighter once its built the index.
>
> There's also SuperFetch, which on my Tablet keeps the disc busy for a
> minute or two after a fresh boot (which is why I sleep).
>
> --
> Paul Smith,
> Yeovil, UK.
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User.
> http://www.dasmirnov.net/blog/
> http://www.windowsresource.net/
>
> *Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

torque

Re: hard drive is driving me crazy
I'm not using it, thanks.

"Victek" <Victek@xyz.com> wrote in message
>> Hello!
>> I've just got new laptop lately. I did not install anything suspicious,
>> just some office software. For some time already, after I log in, hard
>> drive keeps spinning for more less 10-15 minutes. It's difficult to work
>> during that period, everything slows down just because disk is spinning
>> like crazy. Maybe I turned on some service, but I do not remember what
>> could cause such a slow down. Any ideas what is going on?
>>

> Are you using a flash drive for ReadyBoost? If so I suggest you stop for
> a while until the indexing activity slows, because ReadyBoost creates
> additional disk activity when the computer first boots. In fact, if you
> have more then one gig of ram you will probably experience better over all
> performance without ReadyBoost.

Cal Bear '66

Re: hard drive is driving me crazy
Superfetch loads programs that you frequently use into memory at computer boot
up for faster program access.

--

news:t8ydnXER44BalSTbnZ2dnUVZ_tSknZ2d@giganews.com ...
> It's already two months.
> What superfetch is?
>
> thx
>
> "Cal Bear '66" <xxx@xxx.org> wrote in message
>> It is probably just indexing, superfetch, etc. This is normal and you should
>> just give it a few days and it will calm down.
>>
>> --
>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>> GO BEARS!
>>

>> "torque" <no@address.com> wrote in message
>>> Hello!
>>> I've just got new laptop lately. I did not install anything suspicious, just
>>> some office software. For some time already, after I log in, hard drive
>>> keeps spinning for more less 10-15 minutes. It's difficult to work during
>>> that period, everything slows down just because disk is spinning like crazy.
>>> Maybe I turned on some service, but I do not remember what could cause such
>>> a slow down. Any ideas what is going on?
>>>
>>> Thanks

torque

Re: hard drive is driving me crazy
How can I set that up?

> Superfetch loads programs that you frequently use into memory at computer
> boot up for faster program access.
>
> --
> I Bleed Blue and Gold
> GO BEARS!
>

> "torque" <no@address.com> wrote in message
> news:t8ydnXER44BalSTbnZ2dnUVZ_tSknZ2d@giganews.com ...
>> It's already two months.
>> What superfetch is?
>>
>> thx
>>
>> "Cal Bear '66" <xxx@xxx.org> wrote in message
>>> It is probably just indexing, superfetch, etc. This is normal and you
>>> should just give it a few days and it will calm down.
>>>
>>> --
>>> I Bleed Blue and Gold
>>> GO BEARS!

Cal Bear '66

Re: hard drive is driving me crazy
It should be by default already automatically set up.

--

news:gP2dnaY6FoMBhSTbnZ2dnUVZ_sytnZ2d@giganews.com ...