Filled 30GB of Space

marcusFZ6

Filled 30GB of Space
I have a new laptop running Vista Prem with a 200GB hard drive split into 2
100's. I noticed last night that on the main drive "C" that I have somehow
filled 30GB of space. The biggest program installed is Office 07. I have
installed a few bits then removed them going through the control panel. How
do I check to see that all the components have been removed and what else can
I do to see what is using up the storage space.
Ta Moocho, Marcus
robert.stojanov@gmail.com

Re: Filled 30GB of Space
On Aug 7, 12:12 pm, marcusFZ6 <marcus...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> I have a new laptop running Vista Prem with a 200GB hard drive split into 2
> 100's. I noticed last night that on the main drive "C" that I have somehow
> filled 30GB of space. The biggest program installed is Office 07. I have
> installed a few bits then removed them going through the control panel. How
> do I check to see that all the components have been removed and what else can
> I do to see what is using up the storage space.
> Ta Moocho, Marcus

Your System Restore is doing that

Rick Rogers

Re: Filled 30GB of Space
Hi,

Probable causes of the space being eaten up include, but aren't limited to:

- System Restore
- Paging file
- Hibernate file (hiberfil.sys)

That first one especially, due to changes from earlier versions, will
quickly reserve roughly 12% of the available drive space. On a 100GB drive,
that'd be 12GB on top of the 12-14GB that the OS occupies. Add in a program
like MS Office, and it's easy to see where the 30GB went.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"marcusFZ6" <marcusFZ6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a new laptop running Vista Prem with a 200GB hard drive split into 2
> 100's. I noticed last night that on the main drive "C" that I have somehow
> filled 30GB of space. The biggest program installed is Office 07. I have
> installed a few bits then removed them going through the control panel.
> How
> do I check to see that all the components have been removed and what else
> can
> I do to see what is using up the storage space.
> Ta Moocho, Marcus

John Barnett MVP

Re: Filled 30GB of Space
The biggest culprit will be system restore. The more restore points
available the more space is taken up (usually around 15% of available disk
space). If your system is working fine then you might consider disabling
system restore (see this link on my website:
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/turn_of...em_restore.htm ) This will remove
all restore points. Once you have done this see what space has been grabbed
back. You can then enable system restore again and then create a new restore
point.
Other options would be Page File (although you cannot get rid of this, you
can alter how much space it uses, but it is best to leave well alone) and
also the hiberfil.sys file if you have hibernation enabled. If you don't
need to hibernate your PC then disable hibernation
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/disable_hibernation.htm

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"marcusFZ6" <marcusFZ6@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a new laptop running Vista Prem with a 200GB hard drive split into 2
> 100's. I noticed last night that on the main drive "C" that I have somehow
> filled 30GB of space. The biggest program installed is Office 07. I have
> installed a few bits then removed them going through the control panel.
> How
> do I check to see that all the components have been removed and what else
> can
> I do to see what is using up the storage space.
> Ta Moocho, Marcus

marcusFZ6

Re: Filled 30GB of Space
John, I have just read this and completed the nessecary steps. I asked a q in
filling 30GB of space only to find that 14GB was restore points, see post
"FILLED 30GB of SPACE".
Think that this is a very handy tip and worth knocking the size down a fair
bit. Top drawer stuff.
Cheerz, Marcus

This is a copy of what I wrote into another question about downsizing the
amount of storage space the Vista has as default. All clever stuff and
learning some clever wee touches all the time. Many thanks, Marcus.
John Barnett MVP

Re: Filled 30GB of Space
The following link on my website:
http://vistasupport.mvps.org/decreas...em_restore.htm
allows you to manipulate the amount of space system restore allocates.