flickering power

K8 notsogrand

flickering power
I turned my computer on this morning and only one out of six fans came on I
mean, just that one fan
nothing else.
So I switched off the power supply,unplugged the cable and power bar.
Then I plugged every thing back in and now the power supply is making noise
and all the fans come on but are slow. And still no power to the mother board.

Q; Is it just the 500wt power supply that craped out or is it somthing
else????

K8NHA Grand
AMD Athlon 64 2.1Ghz
1gig of ram
Radeon 1600 512Mb

Richard G. Harper

Re: flickering power
Probably the power supply but if you are not skilled at hardware
troubleshooting save yourself the time and money and find someone who is.
:-)

"K8 notsogrand" <K8notsogrand@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I turned my computer on this morning and only one out of six fans came on I
> mean, just that one fan
> nothing else.
> So I switched off the power supply,unplugged the cable and power bar.
> Then I plugged every thing back in and now the power supply is making
> noise
> and all the fans come on but are slow. And still no power to the mother
> board.
>
> Q; Is it just the 500wt power supply that craped out or is it somthing
> else????
>

> K8NHA Grand
> AMD Athlon 64 2.1Ghz
> 1gig of ram
> Radeon 1600 512Mb

Rick Rogers

Re: flickering power
Hi,

Yep, I'd guess that the power supply is shot. Not even voltage being pushed
to run the fans.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"K8 notsogrand" <K8notsogrand@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I turned my computer on this morning and only one out of six fans came on I
> mean, just that one fan
> nothing else.
> So I switched off the power supply,unplugged the cable and power bar.
> Then I plugged every thing back in and now the power supply is making
> noise
> and all the fans come on but are slow. And still no power to the mother
> board.
>
> Q; Is it just the 500wt power supply that craped out or is it somthing
> else????
>

> K8NHA Grand
> AMD Athlon 64 2.1Ghz
> 1gig of ram
> Radeon 1600 512Mb

John Barnett MVP

Re: flickering power
I would guess that the power supply unit is in its final death throws.

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

mail/post..

"K8 notsogrand" <K8notsogrand@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I turned my computer on this morning and only one out of six fans came on I
> mean, just that one fan
> nothing else.
> So I switched off the power supply,unplugged the cable and power bar.
> Then I plugged every thing back in and now the power supply is making
> noise
> and all the fans come on but are slow. And still no power to the mother
> board.
>
> Q; Is it just the 500wt power supply that craped out or is it somthing
> else????
>

> K8NHA Grand
> AMD Athlon 64 2.1Ghz
> 1gig of ram
> Radeon 1600 512Mb

K8 notsogrand

Re: flickering power
Thanks guys
I just had to make sure that it was the power supply before I went bought
another one.

What would couse it to crape out like that? (overheating?)
Just wont to know so I don't kill the new one

"John Barnett MVP" wrote:

> I would guess that the power supply unit is in its final death throws.
>
> --
> John Barnett MVP
> Associate Expert
> Windows - Shell/User
>
> Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
> Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org

> reliability or content of this mail/post. The Author shall not be liable for
> any direct, indirect, incidental or consequential damages arising out of the
> mail/post..
>
> "K8 notsogrand" <K8notsogrand@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I turned my computer on this morning and only one out of six fans came on I
> > mean, just that one fan
> > nothing else.
> > So I switched off the power supply,unplugged the cable and power bar.
> > Then I plugged every thing back in and now the power supply is making
> > noise
> > and all the fans come on but are slow. And still no power to the mother
> > board.
> >
> > Q; Is it just the 500wt power supply that craped out or is it somthing
> > else????
> >

> > K8NHA Grand
> > AMD Athlon 64 2.1Ghz
> > 1gig of ram
> > Radeon 1600 512Mb

Rick Rogers

Re: flickering power
Hi,

Overheating, component failure, could be a number of things. Don't buy
cheap, quality power supplies are worth the extra few dollars they cost in
terms of reliability and length of service.