Monitors will not standby or power down after specified idle perio

boohoo

Monitors will not standby or power down after specified idle perio
Anybody else having this power scheme related problem? If so, know the
solution? Please let me know.

Here are the details:

In my Vista power schemes, screen saver is set to turn on after 15 minutes,
monitors are set to go into standby (power down) mode after 20 minutes.
After an idle time of 15 minutes, the screensaver does reliably always turn
on, however, the monitors never power down or go into standby. There are no
processes running and no activity on the machine during this time. I have
tried setting and resetting the power scheme options, have tried
experimenting with different idle times, screen savers, multiple reboots,
logins, etc, all to no avail. The monitors will never go into standby no
matter what I do. Not sure if this is a Vista problem, or if it might also
be a display driver thing or something...?

Here are some of my system stats, in case they are relevant:
Vista Business, upgraded a WinXP system (no clean install)
Core2Duo, with Intel board
nVidia 7600 dual DVI card with dual monitors, using nVidia's latest
drivers (7/27)

Not sure what's going on. All of this stuff worked fine for years on WinXP.

mikeyhsd

Re: Monitors will not standby or power down after specified idle perio
have you tried it without dual monitor support enabled.

mikeyhsd@comcast.net

"boohoo" <boohoo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0A2FECC4-333F-4990-AB3B-8A91BE0EBFE2@microsoft.com...
[...]

Pops

Re: Monitors will not standby or power down after specified idle p
I also have been having the same problem, but I am not sure if I have dual
monitor support enabled or not. I cannot find this in the control panel.
How do I check this to see if I have the dual monitor support enabled or not?

"mikeyhsd" wrote:

> have you tried it without dual monitor support enabled.
>

> mikeyhsd@comcast.net
>

> "boohoo" <boohoo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0A2FECC4-333F-4990-AB3B-8A91BE0EBFE2@microsoft.com...
> Anybody else having this power scheme related problem? If so, know the
> solution? Please let me know.
>
> Here are the details:
>
> In my Vista power schemes, screen saver is set to turn on after 15 minutes,
> monitors are set to go into standby (power down) mode after 20 minutes.
> After an idle time of 15 minutes, the screensaver does reliably always turn
> on, however, the monitors never power down or go into standby. There are no
> processes running and no activity on the machine during this time. I have
> tried setting and resetting the power scheme options, have tried
> experimenting with different idle times, screen savers, multiple reboots,
> logins, etc, all to no avail. The monitors will never go into standby no
> matter what I do. Not sure if this is a Vista problem, or if it might also
> be a display driver thing or something...?
>
> Here are some of my system stats, in case they are relevant:
> Vista Business, upgraded a WinXP system (no clean install)
> Core2Duo, with Intel board
> nVidia 7600 dual DVI card with dual monitors, using nVidia's latest
> drivers (7/27)
>
> Not sure what's going on. All of this stuff worked fine for years on WinXP.
>
> Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

boohoo

Re: Monitors will not standby or power down after specified idle p
I haven't tried disabling dual monitors; however, I did do an interesting
experiment which leads me to believe there is an interaction issue with
active Firewire devices.

Here's the experiment:

1. Boot Vista with my Firewire audio interface powered down. In this case,
the monitors appear to have the proper standby power down behavior after
20min inactivity.

2. Boot Vista with my Firewire audio powered up. In this case, the monitors
never go into standby, even though the screensave comes on at the proper time.

3. Boot Vista with my Firewire audio powered up, then power down the
Firewire audio interface after boot up. In this case, the monitors still
have the standby problem.

So, somehow, it seems Vista is not happy about the Firewire device.
(device is an MOTU Traveler audio interface)

"Pops" wrote:

> I also have been having the same problem, but I am not sure if I have dual
> monitor support enabled or not. I cannot find this in the control panel.
> How do I check this to see if I have the dual monitor support enabled or not?
>
> "mikeyhsd" wrote:
>
> > have you tried it without dual monitor support enabled.
> >

> > mikeyhsd@comcast.net
> >

> > "boohoo" <boohoo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0A2FECC4-333F-4990-AB3B-8A91BE0EBFE2@microsoft.com...
> > Anybody else having this power scheme related problem? If so, know the
> > solution? Please let me know.
> >
> > Here are the details:
> >
> > In my Vista power schemes, screen saver is set to turn on after 15 minutes,
> > monitors are set to go into standby (power down) mode after 20 minutes.
> > After an idle time of 15 minutes, the screensaver does reliably always turn
> > on, however, the monitors never power down or go into standby. There are no
> > processes running and no activity on the machine during this time. I have
> > tried setting and resetting the power scheme options, have tried
> > experimenting with different idle times, screen savers, multiple reboots,
> > logins, etc, all to no avail. The monitors will never go into standby no
> > matter what I do. Not sure if this is a Vista problem, or if it might also
> > be a display driver thing or something...?
> >
> > Here are some of my system stats, in case they are relevant:
> > Vista Business, upgraded a WinXP system (no clean install)
> > Core2Duo, with Intel board
> > nVidia 7600 dual DVI card with dual monitors, using nVidia's latest
> > drivers (7/27)
> >
> > Not sure what's going on. All of this stuff worked fine for years on WinXP.
> >
> > Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Pops

Re: Monitors will not standby or power down after specified idle p
The problem may also be in photos screensaver. We I use any other
screensaver the power options work. I think it may have to do with the idle
time set in the photo screensaver being different than that in my power
options which then causes the power options to not work as set.

"boohoo" wrote:

> I haven't tried disabling dual monitors; however, I did do an interesting
> experiment which leads me to believe there is an interaction issue with
> active Firewire devices.
>
> Here's the experiment:
>
> 1. Boot Vista with my Firewire audio interface powered down. In this case,
> the monitors appear to have the proper standby power down behavior after
> 20min inactivity.
>
> 2. Boot Vista with my Firewire audio powered up. In this case, the monitors
> never go into standby, even though the screensave comes on at the proper time.
>
> 3. Boot Vista with my Firewire audio powered up, then power down the
> Firewire audio interface after boot up. In this case, the monitors still
> have the standby problem.
>
> So, somehow, it seems Vista is not happy about the Firewire device.
> (device is an MOTU Traveler audio interface)
>

> "Pops" wrote:
>
> > I also have been having the same problem, but I am not sure if I have dual
> > monitor support enabled or not. I cannot find this in the control panel.
> > How do I check this to see if I have the dual monitor support enabled or not?
> >
> > "mikeyhsd" wrote:
> >
> > > have you tried it without dual monitor support enabled.
> > >

> > > mikeyhsd@comcast.net
> > >

> > > "boohoo" <boohoo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0A2FECC4-333F-4990-AB3B-8A91BE0EBFE2@microsoft.com...
> > > Anybody else having this power scheme related problem? If so, know the
> > > solution? Please let me know.
> > >
> > > Here are the details:
> > >
> > > In my Vista power schemes, screen saver is set to turn on after 15 minutes,
> > > monitors are set to go into standby (power down) mode after 20 minutes.
> > > After an idle time of 15 minutes, the screensaver does reliably always turn
> > > on, however, the monitors never power down or go into standby. There are no
> > > processes running and no activity on the machine during this time. I have
> > > tried setting and resetting the power scheme options, have tried
> > > experimenting with different idle times, screen savers, multiple reboots,
> > > logins, etc, all to no avail. The monitors will never go into standby no
> > > matter what I do. Not sure if this is a Vista problem, or if it might also
> > > be a display driver thing or something...?
> > >
> > > Here are some of my system stats, in case they are relevant:
> > > Vista Business, upgraded a WinXP system (no clean install)
> > > Core2Duo, with Intel board
> > > nVidia 7600 dual DVI card with dual monitors, using nVidia's latest
> > > drivers (7/27)
> > >
> > > Not sure what's going on. All of this stuff worked fine for years on WinXP.
> > >
> > > Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

boohoo

Re: Monitors will not standby or power down after specified idle p
I don't use the photo screensaver. I just use the default "Windows Vista"
logo screensaver.