VPN always defaults to WAN Miniport (L2TP) instead of PPTP

Eagle117

VPN always defaults to WAN Miniport (L2TP) instead of PPTP
When I create a new VPN connection on my Vista laptop, the device is always
configured as "WAN Miniport (L2TP)" and I cannot connect to my PPTP VPN at
work. My boss has the exact same laptop with Vista as well and when he
creates a new VPN it defaults to "WAN Miniport (PPTP)" and it works just
fine.

I cannot seem to find any way to change which miniport is used by the VPN
connection. I can't uninstall any of the miniport from Device manager. It
does not give me an error but they don't dissappear.

I followed some instructions I found to reinstall the miniports using the
commands:

Netcfg -u MS_L2TP
Netcfg -u MS_PPTP
Netcfg -l %windir%\inf\netrast.inf -c p -i MS_PPTP
Netcfg -l %windir%\inf\netrast.inf -c p -i MS_L2TP

But nothing changed in device manager and I still cannot connect. Help?
Eagle117

RE: VPN always defaults to WAN Miniport (L2TP) instead of PPTP
From another post here I found this website which explains my problem:
http://boyersnet.com/blogs/chucks_bl...l-pc-2007.aspx

Basically, if you install VirtualPC 2007 under Vista, it appears to break
your PPTP VPN connections. I could uninstall it but finding a better
workaround would be idea.

"Eagle117" wrote:

> When I create a new VPN connection on my Vista laptop, the device is always
> configured as "WAN Miniport (L2TP)" and I cannot connect to my PPTP VPN at
> work. My boss has the exact same laptop with Vista as well and when he
> creates a new VPN it defaults to "WAN Miniport (PPTP)" and it works just
> fine.
>
> I cannot seem to find any way to change which miniport is used by the VPN
> connection. I can't uninstall any of the miniport from Device manager. It
> does not give me an error but they don't dissappear.
>
> I followed some instructions I found to reinstall the miniports using the
> commands:
>
> Netcfg -u MS_L2TP
> Netcfg -u MS_PPTP
> Netcfg -l %windir%\inf\netrast.inf -c p -i MS_PPTP
> Netcfg -l %windir%\inf\netrast.inf -c p -i MS_L2TP
>
> But nothing changed in device manager and I still cannot connect. Help?

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: VPN always defaults to WAN Miniport (L2TP) instead of PPTP
Thank you for the feedback.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
From another post here I found this website which explains my problem:

"Eagle117" wrote:

> When I create a new VPN connection on my Vista laptop, the device is always
> configured as "WAN Miniport (L2TP)" and I cannot connect to my PPTP VPN at
> work. My boss has the exact same laptop with Vista as well and when he
> creates a new VPN it defaults to "WAN Miniport (PPTP)" and it works just
> fine.
>
> I cannot seem to find any way to change which miniport is used by the VPN
> connection. I can't uninstall any of the miniport from Device manager. It
> does not give me an error but they don't dissappear.
>
> I followed some instructions I found to reinstall the miniports using the
> commands:
>
> Netcfg -u MS_L2TP
> Netcfg -u MS_PPTP
> Netcfg -l %windir%\inf\netrast.inf -c p -i MS_PPTP
> Netcfg -l %windir%\inf\netrast.inf -c p -i MS_L2TP
>
> But nothing changed in device manager and I still cannot connect. Help?

Eagle117

Re: VPN always defaults to WAN Miniport (L2TP) instead of PPTP
Any ideas on how to get both PPTP and VirtualPC working together? I put a
post in the VirtualPC 2007 beta newsgroup but since the program is closed I
doubt I get any response and don't know where else to report it.