Why can one Vista computer run XP printer and not the other?

Greg

Why can one Vista computer run XP printer and not the other?
Up until now have had XP desktop connected to internet and Vista laptop
connected to it with crossover cable. Vista laptop has been able to run the
XP machine's non-vista compatible HP officejet printer over the network.

Now we have connected a new Vista desktop to the network, and made it the
primary machine, connected to the internet, with the XP desktop and Vista
laptop connected to it with a hub. The printer is still connected to the XP
machine.

Strange thing is, the Vista laptop can still print using the printer on the
XP machine, but the Vista desktop cannot. When you choose the printer, it
just crashes - just keeps on waiting forever and you have to close the
program doing the printing. Why?

Kerry Brown

Re: Why can one Vista computer run XP printer and not the other?
Different firewalls?

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"Greg" <greg.munro@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> Up until now have had XP desktop connected to internet and Vista laptop
> connected to it with crossover cable. Vista laptop has been able to run
> the XP machine's non-vista compatible HP officejet printer over the
> network.
>
> Now we have connected a new Vista desktop to the network, and made it the
> primary machine, connected to the internet, with the XP desktop and Vista
> laptop connected to it with a hub. The printer is still connected to the
> XP machine.
>
> Strange thing is, the Vista laptop can still print using the printer on
> the XP machine, but the Vista desktop cannot. When you choose the printer,
> it just crashes - just keeps on waiting forever and you have to close the
> program doing the printing. Why?

Greg

Re: Why can one Vista computer run XP printer and not the other?
The only differences I can see are

1. The desktop has Vista Business and the Laptop Vista Home Premium

2. The desktop has UAC turned on the laptop has it turned off

> Different firewalls?
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca
>

> "Greg" <greg.munro@bigpond.com> wrote in message
>> Up until now have had XP desktop connected to internet and Vista laptop
>> connected to it with crossover cable. Vista laptop has been able to run
>> the XP machine's non-vista compatible HP officejet printer over the
>> network.
>>
>> Now we have connected a new Vista desktop to the network, and made it the
>> primary machine, connected to the internet, with the XP desktop and Vista
>> laptop connected to it with a hub. The printer is still connected to the
>> XP machine.
>>
>> Strange thing is, the Vista laptop can still print using the printer on
>> the XP machine, but the Vista desktop cannot. When you choose the
>> printer, it just crashes - just keeps on waiting forever and you have to
>> close the program doing the printing. Why?

Greg

Re: Why can one Vista computer run XP printer and not the other?
Oh, and the desktop machine can see the printer, btw, and access its
preferences, but not print using it.

Vista to XP networking really really sucks big time. Nothing ever seems to
work properly.

> The only differences I can see are
>
> 1. The desktop has Vista Business and the Laptop Vista Home Premium
>
> 2. The desktop has UAC turned on the laptop has it turned off

It probably has something to do with UAC. With UAC on/off virtualization
works very differently. I'm guessing this is the cause of the problem. You
originally stated the printer doesn't have a Vista compatible driver. This
combined with UAC is bound to cause problems. What is the printer model?

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

Greg

Re: Why can one Vista computer run XP printer and not the other?
Thanks for the response.

It's a HP Officejet T65

I can't remember what I did to get it to work with my laptop or why it did,
and can't work out what the difference is. I tried it with UAC off already
and it still didn't work. I tried logging on to different logons on the XP
computer hosting the printer. I tried turning off the firewall and
configuring it in different ways. Nothing works. Vista networking is crap.

Thanks for the help.

> "Greg" <greg.munro@bigpond.com> wrote in message
>> The only differences I can see are
>>
>> 1. The desktop has Vista Business and the Laptop Vista Home Premium
>>
>> 2. The desktop has UAC turned on the laptop has it turned off
>>

> It probably has something to do with UAC. With UAC on/off virtualization
> works very differently. I'm guessing this is the cause of the problem. You
> originally stated the printer doesn't have a Vista compatible driver. This
> combined with UAC is bound to cause problems. What is the printer model?
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
> http://www.vistahelp.ca

Kerry Brown

Re: Why can one Vista computer run XP printer and not the other?
HP doesn't support that printer in Vista. Was UAC off on the other computer
when you installed the printer? How did you install the printer? Did you
install it locally or just connect via the network?