Cannot RDP into Vista from XP

Sweetone

Cannot RDP into Vista from XP
Hello,

I recently upgraded my XP Media Center desktop to Vista. Prior to the
upgrade, I was able to RDP into from my XP Home laptop just fine. After the
upgrade, not so. I have added remote access to the firewall on the desktop,
I even specifically added port 3389. I can even telnet to port 3389 just
fine, nothing useful happens, but I don't get a connection error. I also can
share files fine. In the Remote control panel, I enabled remote connection
sharing. I use Remote Desktop on my XP Home laptop to another XP desktop on
a daily basis, so I know it is solid.

What happens is when I try to remote desktop, I get an immediate
non-response. I mean, I click connect and it tries for <1 second and then
returns to where it was before. It's acting like there's a corrupted DLL
somewhere. Anyway, I can't troubleshoot this any furhter. I tried TightVNC
and it didn't work either.

Sooner Al [MVP]

Re: Cannot RDP into Vista from XP
"Sweetone" <Sweetone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I recently upgraded my XP Media Center desktop to Vista. Prior to the
> upgrade, I was able to RDP into from my XP Home laptop just fine. After
> the
> upgrade, not so. I have added remote access to the firewall on the
> desktop,
> I even specifically added port 3389. I can even telnet to port 3389 just
> fine, nothing useful happens, but I don't get a connection error. I also
> can
> share files fine. In the Remote control panel, I enabled remote
> connection
> sharing. I use Remote Desktop on my XP Home laptop to another XP desktop
> on
> a daily basis, so I know it is solid.
>
> What happens is when I try to remote desktop, I get an immediate
> non-response. I mean, I click connect and it tries for <1 second and then
> returns to where it was before. It's acting like there's a corrupted DLL
> somewhere. Anyway, I can't troubleshoot this any furhter. I tried
> TightVNC
> and it didn't work either.

Make sure the Vista Remote Desktop host PC is configured like this...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...rverConfig.jpg

Make sure the XP client is configured like this...

http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.or...ntSettings.jpg

Beyond that make sure your not running anything that may be blocking
incoming Remote Desktop requests like NAV or OneCare Live. Also check the
event logs on both PCs for possible clues...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

mutual benefit of all of us...
rights...
How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375

Katarzyna - Windows Networking

RE: Cannot RDP into Vista from XP
Hello Sweetone,

This is Katarzyna from the Windows Networking Team.

We are currently on point to solve related problems with RDP. Would you be
willing to help us collect more info, network traces, etc.? We will let you
know how to set things up. It would help us a lot.

Please email me and we will get things started!

Thanks,
Katarzyna
windows_networking@hotmail.com

"Sweetone" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I recently upgraded my XP Media Center desktop to Vista. Prior to the
> upgrade, I was able to RDP into from my XP Home laptop just fine. After the
> upgrade, not so. I have added remote access to the firewall on the desktop,
> I even specifically added port 3389. I can even telnet to port 3389 just
> fine, nothing useful happens, but I don't get a connection error. I also can
> share files fine. In the Remote control panel, I enabled remote connection
> sharing. I use Remote Desktop on my XP Home laptop to another XP desktop on
> a daily basis, so I know it is solid.
>
> What happens is when I try to remote desktop, I get an immediate
> non-response. I mean, I click connect and it tries for <1 second and then
> returns to where it was before. It's acting like there's a corrupted DLL
> somewhere. Anyway, I can't troubleshoot this any furhter. I tried TightVNC
> and it didn't work either.

drastrogeek

RE: Cannot RDP into Vista from XP
Katarzyna,

I'd be willing to help. I have the same problem that Sweetstone documented.
I've tried every suggestion I've been able to find on the internet, including
yours, without any success. I have always been able to RDP into XP from
Vista, I can even share files BOTH ways (XP to Vista & Vista to XP), but I
consistently receive a connection error when attempting to RDP into Vista
from an XP machine, even with the KB925876 fix.

These problems, combined with the incompatibility of several of my favorite
programs, has me on the verge of uninstalling Vista in favor of XP. However,
if you are still looking for assistance, and you reply quickly enough, I will
consider holding off on that and assisting you in the trouble shooting
process. Please advise on preferred method of communication.

"Katarzyna - Windows Networking" wrote:

> Hello Sweetone,
>
> This is Katarzyna from the Windows Networking Team.
>
> We are currently on point to solve related problems with RDP. Would you be
> willing to help us collect more info, network traces, etc.? We will let you
> know how to set things up. It would help us a lot.
>
> Please email me and we will get things started!
>
> Thanks,
> Katarzyna
> windows_networking@hotmail.com
>

> "Sweetone" wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I recently upgraded my XP Media Center desktop to Vista. Prior to the
> > upgrade, I was able to RDP into from my XP Home laptop just fine. After the
> > upgrade, not so. I have added remote access to the firewall on the desktop,
> > I even specifically added port 3389. I can even telnet to port 3389 just
> > fine, nothing useful happens, but I don't get a connection error. I also can
> > share files fine. In the Remote control panel, I enabled remote connection
> > sharing. I use Remote Desktop on my XP Home laptop to another XP desktop on
> > a daily basis, so I know it is solid.
> >
> > What happens is when I try to remote desktop, I get an immediate
> > non-response. I mean, I click connect and it tries for <1 second and then
> > returns to where it was before. It's acting like there's a corrupted DLL
> > somewhere. Anyway, I can't troubleshoot this any furhter. I tried TightVNC
> > and it didn't work either.

drastrogeek

RE: Cannot RDP into Vista from XP
Ahhh! Son of a gun. I found the answer in Tom's Hardware website. OK, this is
something for Microsoft to fix!

When you enable Remote Desktop connections, an entry is added to the Windows
Firewall exceptions list named "Remote Desktop". So, to the regular user, it
seems that Remote Desktop connections have been properly enabled within the
firewall. However, even though the "Remote Desktop" port is added as an
"exception" under the firewall settings, somehow that was not literally
registering.

Tom suggested that you explicitly enter that port in the firewall settings
and just call it something you recognize. I called it RDP and pointed to the
port associated with that machine, which I had changed in the registry to be
something other than the 3389 since I have multiple computers behind a
router.

Anyway, long story short, even though there might already be a "Remote
Desktop" exception in the firewall settings, the solution to this problem is
to MANUALLY enter the Remote Desktop port exception in the Windows Vista
Firewall settings. This allows users to log in from XP into Vista. Note that
windows XP does this automatically and PROPERLY when you enable remote
desktop connections in the first place. Seems like a "minor" bug in Vista
that can cause a lot of headaches.

Those are days of my life I will never recover.

"drastrogeek" wrote:

> Katarzyna,
>
> I'd be willing to help. I have the same problem that Sweetstone documented.
> I've tried every suggestion I've been able to find on the internet, including
> yours, without any success. I have always been able to RDP into XP from
> Vista, I can even share files BOTH ways (XP to Vista & Vista to XP), but I
> consistently receive a connection error when attempting to RDP into Vista
> from an XP machine, even with the KB925876 fix.
>

> These problems, combined with the incompatibility of several of my favorite
> programs, has me on the verge of uninstalling Vista in favor of XP. However,
> if you are still looking for assistance, and you reply quickly enough, I will
> consider holding off on that and assisting you in the trouble shooting
> process. Please advise on preferred method of communication.
>

> "Katarzyna - Windows Networking" wrote:
>
> > Hello Sweetone,
> >
> > This is Katarzyna from the Windows Networking Team.
> >
> > We are currently on point to solve related problems with RDP. Would you be
> > willing to help us collect more info, network traces, etc.? We will let you
> > know how to set things up. It would help us a lot.
> >
> > Please email me and we will get things started!
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Katarzyna
> > windows_networking@hotmail.com
> >

> > "Sweetone" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I recently upgraded my XP Media Center desktop to Vista. Prior to the
> > > upgrade, I was able to RDP into from my XP Home laptop just fine. After the
> > > upgrade, not so. I have added remote access to the firewall on the desktop,
> > > I even specifically added port 3389. I can even telnet to port 3389 just
> > > fine, nothing useful happens, but I don't get a connection error. I also can
> > > share files fine. In the Remote control panel, I enabled remote connection
> > > sharing. I use Remote Desktop on my XP Home laptop to another XP desktop on
> > > a daily basis, so I know it is solid.
> > >
> > > What happens is when I try to remote desktop, I get an immediate
> > > non-response. I mean, I click connect and it tries for <1 second and then
> > > returns to where it was before. It's acting like there's a corrupted DLL
> > > somewhere. Anyway, I can't troubleshoot this any furhter. I tried TightVNC
> > > and it didn't work either.

Sweetone

RE: Cannot RDP into Vista from XP
Kat,

I just saw the post today and will try it out first.

-Sweetone

"Katarzyna - Windows Networking" wrote:

> Hello Sweetone,
>
> This is Katarzyna from the Windows Networking Team.
>
> We are currently on point to solve related problems with RDP. Would you be
> willing to help us collect more info, network traces, etc.? We will let you
> know how to set things up. It would help us a lot.
>
> Please email me and we will get things started!
>
> Thanks,
> Katarzyna
> windows_networking@hotmail.com
>

> "Sweetone" wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > I recently upgraded my XP Media Center desktop to Vista. Prior to the
> > upgrade, I was able to RDP into from my XP Home laptop just fine. After the
> > upgrade, not so. I have added remote access to the firewall on the desktop,
> > I even specifically added port 3389. I can even telnet to port 3389 just
> > fine, nothing useful happens, but I don't get a connection error. I also can
> > share files fine. In the Remote control panel, I enabled remote connection
> > sharing. I use Remote Desktop on my XP Home laptop to another XP desktop on
> > a daily basis, so I know it is solid.
> >
> > What happens is when I try to remote desktop, I get an immediate
> > non-response. I mean, I click connect and it tries for <1 second and then
> > returns to where it was before. It's acting like there's a corrupted DLL
> > somewhere. Anyway, I can't troubleshoot this any furhter. I tried TightVNC
> > and it didn't work either.

Sweetone

RE: Cannot RDP into Vista from XP
Apparently when my system was upgraded the RDP functionality was disabled in
this level of Vista! This is an outrage! How could it be that the feature
was downgraded? Who should I talk about this?

-Sweetone

"Sweetone" wrote:

> Kat,
>
> I just saw the post today and will try it out first.
>
> -Sweetone
>
> "Katarzyna - Windows Networking" wrote:
>
> > Hello Sweetone,
> >
> > This is Katarzyna from the Windows Networking Team.
> >
> > We are currently on point to solve related problems with RDP. Would you be
> > willing to help us collect more info, network traces, etc.? We will let you
> > know how to set things up. It would help us a lot.
> >
> > Please email me and we will get things started!
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Katarzyna
> > windows_networking@hotmail.com
> >

> > "Sweetone" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I recently upgraded my XP Media Center desktop to Vista. Prior to the
> > > upgrade, I was able to RDP into from my XP Home laptop just fine. After the
> > > upgrade, not so. I have added remote access to the firewall on the desktop,
> > > I even specifically added port 3389. I can even telnet to port 3389 just
> > > fine, nothing useful happens, but I don't get a connection error. I also can
> > > share files fine. In the Remote control panel, I enabled remote connection
> > > sharing. I use Remote Desktop on my XP Home laptop to another XP desktop on
> > > a daily basis, so I know it is solid.
> > >
> > > What happens is when I try to remote desktop, I get an immediate
> > > non-response. I mean, I click connect and it tries for <1 second and then
> > > returns to where it was before. It's acting like there's a corrupted DLL
> > > somewhere. Anyway, I can't troubleshoot this any furhter. I tried TightVNC
> > > and it didn't work either.

Barb Bowman

Re: Cannot RDP into Vista from XP
did you upgrade to Home Premium or Ultimate? Only Ultimate (and
Business versions) are able to be RDP hosts. I think MS considers
this to be similar to XP Home = no RDP host vs XP Pro = yes RDP
host. I've run across several XP Media Center 2005 users who
upgraded to Vista Home Premium without realizing this functionality
was lost.

I understand your issue well as I RDP into multiple MCE machines
(and use Ultimate since Home Premium does not support being a RDP
host). There are 3rd party programs that provide functionality, but
it isn't the same as the built in client/host.

Microsoft has a chart at
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...ns/choose.mspx

It does show which SKUs can provide RDP host capability.

Please don't shoot the messenger.

On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 22:25:02 -0700, Sweetone

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Sweetone

Re: Cannot RDP into Vista from XP
Thanks Barb. The upgrade was one of those "automatic" upgrades where I
bought the PC with XP Media Center just before Vista was released with the a
"free" upgrade to Vista. Where do I go to complain about this?

"Barb Bowman" wrote:

> did you upgrade to Home Premium or Ultimate? Only Ultimate (and
> Business versions) are able to be RDP hosts. I think MS considers
> this to be similar to XP Home = no RDP host vs XP Pro = yes RDP
> host. I've run across several XP Media Center 2005 users who
> upgraded to Vista Home Premium without realizing this functionality
> was lost.
>
> I understand your issue well as I RDP into multiple MCE machines
> (and use Ultimate since Home Premium does not support being a RDP
> host). There are 3rd party programs that provide functionality, but
> it isn't the same as the built in client/host.
>
> Microsoft has a chart at
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...ns/choose.mspx
>
> It does show which SKUs can provide RDP host capability.
>
> Please don't shoot the messenger.
>
> On Sun, 7 Oct 2007 22:25:02 -0700, Sweetone
> <Sweetone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Apparently when my system was upgraded the RDP functionality was disabled in
> >this level of Vista! This is an outrage! How could it be that the feature
> >was downgraded? Who should I talk about this?
> >
> >-Sweetone
> >
> >"Sweetone" wrote:
> >
> >> Kat,
> >>
> >> I just saw the post today and will try it out first.
> >>
> >> -Sweetone

> --
>
> Barb Bowman
> MS Windows-MVP

Barb Bowman

Re: Cannot RDP into Vista from XP
Did the offer specify Vista Ultimate or Vista Premium or did it just
state Vista upgrade. If the vendor specified Ultimate and you have a
copy of the ad/offer, start with the vendor. If the version was not
specified, it is unlikely you will get satisfaction from the vendor.
(but I'm not a lawyer so if you want legal advice, consult your
attorney.)

most of the "upgrade" offers I saw were for Home Premium with an
extra charge option for Ultimate.

On Mon, 8 Oct 2007 14:49:01 -0700, Sweetone

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP