Vista Networking with XP Problem

Wooliedales

Vista Networking with XP Problem
I have a new Vista PC (replacing an older XP PC) networking with 2 XP PCs via
Ethernet. The Vista PC sees and can access shared folders/files on the the XP
PCs and print to their connected printers. The XP PCs sporadically can see
and access files on the Vista PC. All PCs' Internet access is working OK via
the cable modem connected to the Ethernet router.

I have set up sharing and permissions on the desired Vista PC folders and
unchecked the 'Read Only' attribute on those Vista folders/files.

All PCs in the network have same WORKGROUP name (See below).

After selecting Network Places on one XP PC, it sees the shared folders on
the other two PCs, but when I try to select a folder resident on the Vista
PC, Network Places hangs, closes and I'm not able to access the network a
second time. When I reboot, I get an error message that explorer.exe has
stopped responding and must close. Sometimes if I reboot then check the
WORKGROUP name, I find it has changed to the old network name (MSHOME) I used
when there were 3 XP PCs in the network. I changed the WORKGROUP name to
correspond with the Vista default.

I have removed or disabled all firewalls on all PCs except Windows firewall
and when I have set sharing and built the network on the XP PCs. I
temporarily disabled the firewall while doing so, then rebooted all macchines.

I find that I can access files between the two XP PCs. My problem is
accessing folders/files from the Vista PC in various applications running on
the XP machines.

Is it possible that explorer.exe has become corrupted on the XP PC?If so,
how do I reinstall it? Or do I have other problems? The XP PC in question is
an IBM R51e. I don't have an XP OS disc, but I have kept current on updates
and security fixes via MS auto update.

Thanks for any help to end this frustration.
Dave
Case

RE: Vista Networking with XP Problem
Hello Wooliedales,
I'm experiencing the same problem. Did you have any positive reply??

Thanks

Case

"Wooliedales" wrote:

> I have a new Vista PC (replacing an older XP PC) networking with 2 XP PCs via
> Ethernet. The Vista PC sees and can access shared folders/files on the the XP
> PCs and print to their connected printers. The XP PCs sporadically can see
> and access files on the Vista PC. All PCs' Internet access is working OK via
> the cable modem connected to the Ethernet router.
>
> I have set up sharing and permissions on the desired Vista PC folders and
> unchecked the 'Read Only' attribute on those Vista folders/files.
>
> All PCs in the network have same WORKGROUP name (See below).
>
> After selecting Network Places on one XP PC, it sees the shared folders on
> the other two PCs, but when I try to select a folder resident on the Vista
> PC, Network Places hangs, closes and I'm not able to access the network a
> second time. When I reboot, I get an error message that explorer.exe has
> stopped responding and must close. Sometimes if I reboot then check the
> WORKGROUP name, I find it has changed to the old network name (MSHOME) I used
> when there were 3 XP PCs in the network. I changed the WORKGROUP name to
> correspond with the Vista default.
>
> I have removed or disabled all firewalls on all PCs except Windows firewall
> and when I have set sharing and built the network on the XP PCs. I
> temporarily disabled the firewall while doing so, then rebooted all macchines.
>
> I find that I can access files between the two XP PCs. My problem is
> accessing folders/files from the Vista PC in various applications running on
> the XP machines.
>
> Is it possible that explorer.exe has become corrupted on the XP PC?If so,
> how do I reinstall it? Or do I have other problems? The XP PC in question is
> an IBM R51e. I don't have an XP OS disc, but I have kept current on updates
> and security fixes via MS auto update.
>
> Thanks for any help to end this frustration.
> Dave

Wooliedales

"Case" wrote:

> Hello Wooliedales,
> I'm experiencing the same problem. Did you have any positive reply??
>
> Thanks
>
> Case

Hi Case,

No reply yet, but I found this link in another post which provides some
useful info:

d-