connection between computers using vista and windows 2000 pro

tim

connection between computers using vista and windows 2000 pro
Hi everyone my current computer is running windows 2000 pro and i am plaining
on buying a new desktop running visa, i have read the tutorials on sharing
files between
two computers, using a crossover Ethernet cable, i am planning on having
the two computers connected through my linksys wireless router can i change
the settings on the router to share files between the new computer and the
old one? and if vista
does not support my HP printer would i have to move the files over to my old
computer before printing. thanks for your help PS my old computer only has
one Ethernet input Tim

Chuck [MVP]

Re: connection between computers using vista and windows 2000 pro
On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 05:06:03 -0700, tim <tim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi everyone my current computer is running windows 2000 pro and i am plaining
>on buying a new desktop running visa, i have read the tutorials on sharing
>files between
>two computers, using a crossover Ethernet cable, i am planning on having
>the two computers connected through my linksys wireless router can i change
>the settings on the router to share files between the new computer and the
>old one? and if vista
>does not support my HP printer would i have to move the files over to my old
>computer before printing. thanks for your help PS my old computer only has
>one Ethernet input Tim

Tim,

First, if you connect the computers through a router, don't worry about the
cross-over cable bit. Start with both computers able to get Internet - when you
have that then physical / logical connectivity will be good.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/08/solving-network-problems-tutorial.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...-tutorial.html

Next work on file sharing between the two computers.

Work on printer sharing last.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/06/network-printing-from-windows-vista.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/0...ows-vista.html

--