IP address conflict

Si

IP address conflict
I have been happily running a wireless network at home for a couple of years
now with a number of XP Pro clients.

I have recently got a new laptop that runs Vista Business and I am
experiencing an annoying problem that I can't seem to resolve.

Every few minutes on my laptop I get a message saying that there is an IP
address oncflict.

I checked to event logs and found an entry saying that there is a conflict
between 192.*** and the device with MAC address 00-***.

The IP and MAC address both belong to my Draytek router.

I can't see this being a network problem as it has never happened on any
computer other than my new Vista laptop, so I thought this might be a good
place to start.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: IP address conflict
I have seen this issue, but as we know some routers' DHCP may have an issue with Vista. Try these:

1. Modify the registry to fix DHCP issue.
2. Upgrade the NIC driver and router firmware.
3. Setup static IP instead of the using DHCP.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Si" <Si@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A1E17001-F6E0-4746-A397-E58FD0A856C0@microsoft.com...
I have been happily running a wireless network at home for a couple of years
now with a number of XP Pro clients.

I have recently got a new laptop that runs Vista Business and I am
experiencing an annoying problem that I can't seem to resolve.

Every few minutes on my laptop I get a message saying that there is an IP
address oncflict.

I checked to event logs and found an entry saying that there is a conflict
between 192.*** and the device with MAC address 00-***.

The IP and MAC address both belong to my Draytek router.

I can't see this being a network problem as it has never happened on any
computer other than my new Vista laptop, so I thought this might be a good
place to start.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Si

Re: IP address conflict
Thanks for that.

I have already done the DHCP reg hack, but that made no difference, and DHCP
is turned off on the router.

The NIC driver is up to date, so all that remains is the router firmware and
I'll gice that a try later.

I also read elsewhere on this board that WEP can cause problems with Vista.
Could this be an issue?

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> I have seen this issue, but as we know some routers' DHCP may have an issue with Vista. Try these:
>
> 1. Modify the registry to fix DHCP issue.
> 2. Upgrade the NIC driver and router firmware.
> 3. Setup static IP instead of the using DHCP.
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Si" <Si@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A1E17001-F6E0-4746-A397-E58FD0A856C0@microsoft.com...
> I have been happily running a wireless network at home for a couple of years
> now with a number of XP Pro clients.
>
> I have recently got a new laptop that runs Vista Business and I am
> experiencing an annoying problem that I can't seem to resolve.
>
> Every few minutes on my laptop I get a message saying that there is an IP
> address oncflict.
>
> I checked to event logs and found an entry saying that there is a conflict
> between 192.*** and the device with MAC address 00-***.
>
> The IP and MAC address both belong to my Draytek router.
>
> I can't see this being a network problem as it has never happened on any
> computer other than my new Vista laptop, so I thought this might be a good
> place to start.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: IP address conflict
Yes, try to disable the wireless security. Does that make any different? Please post back with the result.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Si" <Si@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1753AD9E-3C0B-48A2-829F-2FA08FC66CD2@microsoft.com...
Thanks for that.

I have already done the DHCP reg hack, but that made no difference, and DHCP
is turned off on the router.

The NIC driver is up to date, so all that remains is the router firmware and
I'll gice that a try later.

I also read elsewhere on this board that WEP can cause problems with Vista.
Could this be an issue?

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> I have seen this issue, but as we know some routers' DHCP may have an issue with Vista. Try these:
>
> 1. Modify the registry to fix DHCP issue.
> 2. Upgrade the NIC driver and router firmware.
> 3. Setup static IP instead of the using DHCP.
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Si" <Si@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A1E17001-F6E0-4746-A397-E58FD0A856C0@microsoft.com...
> I have been happily running a wireless network at home for a couple of years
> now with a number of XP Pro clients.
>
> I have recently got a new laptop that runs Vista Business and I am
> experiencing an annoying problem that I can't seem to resolve.
>
> Every few minutes on my laptop I get a message saying that there is an IP
> address oncflict.
>
> I checked to event logs and found an entry saying that there is a conflict
> between 192.*** and the device with MAC address 00-***.
>
> The IP and MAC address both belong to my Draytek router.
>
> I can't see this being a network problem as it has never happened on any
> computer other than my new Vista laptop, so I thought this might be a good
> place to start.
>
> Any help would be much appreciated

GLEASON

Re: IP address conflict
I have been having that exact same issue with my XP Pro Laptop, Vista Laptop,
and Linksys router. I have not yet attempted any of these solutions but when
I do, I will post my results.
--
Many Thanks!

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> Yes, try to disable the wireless security. Does that make any different? Please post back with the result.
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Si" <Si@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1753AD9E-3C0B-48A2-829F-2FA08FC66CD2@microsoft.com...
> Thanks for that.
>
> I have already done the DHCP reg hack, but that made no difference, and DHCP
> is turned off on the router.
>
> The NIC driver is up to date, so all that remains is the router firmware and
> I'll gice that a try later.
>
> I also read elsewhere on this board that WEP can cause problems with Vista.
> Could this be an issue?
>
> "Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:
>
> > I have seen this issue, but as we know some routers' DHCP may have an issue with Vista. Try these:
> >
> > 1. Modify the registry to fix DHCP issue.
> > 2. Upgrade the NIC driver and router firmware.
> > 3. Setup static IP instead of the using DHCP.
> >
> > Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> > Networking, Internet, Routing, VPN Troubleshooting on http://www.ChicagoTech.net
> > How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on http://www.HowToNetworking.com
> > "Si" <Si@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A1E17001-F6E0-4746-A397-E58FD0A856C0@microsoft.com...
> > I have been happily running a wireless network at home for a couple of years
> > now with a number of XP Pro clients.
> >
> > I have recently got a new laptop that runs Vista Business and I am
> > experiencing an annoying problem that I can't seem to resolve.
> >
> > Every few minutes on my laptop I get a message saying that there is an IP
> > address oncflict.
> >
> > I checked to event logs and found an entry saying that there is a conflict
> > between 192.*** and the device with MAC address 00-***.
> >
> > The IP and MAC address both belong to my Draytek router.
> >
> > I can't see this being a network problem as it has never happened on any
> > computer other than my new Vista laptop, so I thought this might be a good
> > place to start.
> >
> > Any help would be much appreciated

Gunrunnerjohn

Re: IP address conflict
You might try turning off UPNP on the router too. Vista actually wants to use
that feature, but it's not necessary for normal connections.

On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 13:30:00 -0700, GLEASON <GLEASON@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I have been having that exact same issue with my XP Pro Laptop, Vista Laptop,
>and Linksys router. I have not yet attempted any of these solutions but when
>I do, I will post my results.

John Will
Microsoft MVP - Networking