setting up a network and sharing

debbie

setting up a network and sharing
I have vista home premium on my computer and I want to share with my other
computer which has windows XP sp2. How do I set this up?
Thanks, Debbie
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: setting up a network and sharing
This how to may help,

Vista How toHow to: disable Vista password protected sharing ... Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:23 am Post subject: How to: disable Vista password protected sharing . ...
http://www.howtonetworking.com/vista/vista.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"debbie" <debbie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0AD4DAD0-3E08-4BB9-A7CE-798B7580D9B1@microsoft.com...
I have vista home premium on my computer and I want to share with my other
computer which has windows XP sp2. How do I set this up?
Thanks, Debbie
Kate

RE: setting up a network and sharing
If you can't get your vista computer to work with your xp computer, try this:
You need to go to the 'Common Questions' section near the end, which deals
with changing your settings in your third party firewall.
It's very simple. The only difficult bit is finding the information in the
first place!

"debbie" wrote:

> I have vista home premium on my computer and I want to share with my other
> computer which has windows XP sp2. How do I set this up?
> Thanks, Debbie

emsm

"debbie" wrote:

> I have vista home premium on my computer and I want to share with my other
> computer which has windows XP sp2. How do I set this up?
> Thanks, Debbie

Chuck [MVP - Windows Networking]

Re: setting up a network and sharing
On Mon, 2 Jul 2007 10:16:01 -0700, debbie <debbie@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I have vista home premium on my computer and I want to share with my other
>computer which has windows XP sp2. How do I set this up?
>Thanks, Debbie

Debbie,

Windows Vista is pretty much similar to Windows XP, but it has little
differences that will be a challenge. Try my tutorial, which will get you
started, by identifying the differences.

Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
emsm

"debbie" wrote:

> I have vista home premium on my computer and I want to share with my other
> computer which has windows XP sp2. How do I set this up?
> Thanks, Debbie

Try this if others donot work

Assuming all your computers can connect to Internet on its own and all using
The same router.

1. Windows Vista

Click NETWORK AND SHARING CENTER
TURN ON NET WORK DISCOVERY
FILE SHARING
PRINTER SHARING

Note: Vista some time turn the NetWork Discovery Off by it self
Turn it on again if it is off.
After completing Windows XP network setup go to Network and Sharing Center
and click View Computers Devices.

2. Windows XP SP2

Go to Control Panel >System>Hardware>Device Manager >Network adapters and
uninstall the wireless Network Device and reboot you XP Computer

The Computer will reinstall your Network Device automatically
You will be asked to choose which network you want to connect to
Just highlight your own network and Click connect
You will be asked to provide Manual Hex Key (If your setup is Security-enabled
Network) and than click CONNECT

After successfully connected.
Go to My Network Places > View Workgroup Computers
Your own Computer and Windows Vista will be displayed
It works for me

Good Luck

EMSM

debbie

RE: setting up a network and sharing
When I restarted it said it found new hardware but did not ask me which
network I want to connect to. When I go to My Network Places > View Workgroup
Computers all that is there is the XP computer not the Vista computer.
Debbie