Cannot get file sharing to work

Johnymac

Cannot get file sharing to work
I have just puchased a new laptop with vista ultimate. As yet I have not been
able to get file sharing to work between the vista laptop and the xp pro
laptop.
Both are connected via wireless through a netgear router.
In vista the network is set to private, networt discovery is on, file
sharing is on, password protected sharing is off.
No other firewall is on both machines other than windows firewall.
On the vista machine I can only see the xp machine media device not the
computer.
On the xp machine I cannot see anything in the workgroup.
I have tried installing network magic on both but still cannot access shared
folders as it comes up with a error shared folder not available informing me
that it is a firewall issue.
Chuck [MVP - Windows Networking]

Re: Cannot get file sharing to work
On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 22:04:01 -0700, Johnymac <Johnymac@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I have just puchased a new laptop with vista ultimate. As yet I have not been
>able to get file sharing to work between the vista laptop and the xp pro
>laptop.
>Both are connected via wireless through a netgear router.
>In vista the network is set to private, networt discovery is on, file
>sharing is on, password protected sharing is off.
>No other firewall is on both machines other than windows firewall.
>On the vista machine I can only see the xp machine media device not the
>computer.
>On the xp machine I cannot see anything in the workgroup.
>I have tried installing network magic on both but still cannot access shared
>folders as it comes up with a error shared folder not available informing me
>that it is a firewall issue.

Do you have any third party security products at all? Some antivirus packages
contains antiworm components that act as a firewall, and block SMBs (blocked
SMBs is your basic problem).
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/your-personal-firewall-can-either-help.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ther-help.html

Is the NetBT setting consistent for both computers?
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html

--
Cheers,
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
Johnymac

RE: Cannot get file sharing to work
This problem has now been solved.
It was the xp machine that was not enabling netBIOS even if it was set
enabled.
It was solved by uninstalling tcp/ip protocol and reinstalling it.

"Johnymac" wrote:

> I have just puchased a new laptop with vista ultimate. As yet I have not been
> able to get file sharing to work between the vista laptop and the xp pro
> laptop.
> Both are connected via wireless through a netgear router.
> In vista the network is set to private, networt discovery is on, file
> sharing is on, password protected sharing is off.
> No other firewall is on both machines other than windows firewall.
> On the vista machine I can only see the xp machine media device not the
> computer.
> On the xp machine I cannot see anything in the workgroup.
> I have tried installing network magic on both but still cannot access shared
> folders as it comes up with a error shared folder not available informing me
> that it is a firewall issue.

Chuck [MVP]

Re: Cannot get file sharing to work
On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 20:08:02 -0700, Johnymac <Johnymac@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>"Johnymac" wrote:
>
>> I have just puchased a new laptop with vista ultimate. As yet I have not been
>> able to get file sharing to work between the vista laptop and the xp pro
>> laptop.
>> Both are connected via wireless through a netgear router.
>> In vista the network is set to private, networt discovery is on, file
>> sharing is on, password protected sharing is off.
>> No other firewall is on both machines other than windows firewall.
>> On the vista machine I can only see the xp machine media device not the
>> computer.
>> On the xp machine I cannot see anything in the workgroup.
>> I have tried installing network magic on both but still cannot access shared
>> folders as it comes up with a error shared folder not available informing me
>> that it is a firewall issue.

>This problem has now been solved.
>It was the xp machine that was not enabling netBIOS even if it was set
>enabled.
>It was solved by uninstalling tcp/ip protocol and reinstalling it.

A very interesting diagnosis. Thank you for sharing.

--
Cheers,