i want to backup files on a network to my vista home premium...

Adele

i want to backup files on a network to my vista home premium...
Hi
I am trying to backup files to my vista home premium pc. The other
computers are win xp systems and I need to schedule backups of files located
on the other computers. In Vista, I cannot find I way to do this. Anyone
have any ideas?
Tim

Re: i want to backup files on a network to my vista home premium...
In my opinion, MS really dumbed-down their Vista backup utility. I don't use
it. Here is how I deal with a situation similar to yours. I use one of the
XP machines to handle the backup process. Share the drives/folders of all
the PCs you want to backup and use XP's backup utility (as a scheduled
process) to grab the files from the other PCs and write them to an external
drive (or where ever else you want to put them).

You could also purchase a 3rd party backup utility (like Acronis) or use one
of several free utilities butI've found XP's backup utility to be flexible
enough for my needs.

Tim

"Adele" <Adele@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> I am trying to backup files to my vista home premium pc. The other
> computers are win xp systems and I need to schedule backups of files
> located
> on the other computers. In Vista, I cannot find I way to do this. Anyone
> have any ideas?

Adele

Re: i want to backup files on a network to my vista home premium..
Thanks Tim,
the problem is that my computer is on a work network and is totally priveate
for my use only, if i enable the other computers to read from it, i will be
sacrificing my privacy and I do not wish to do that. Is there no way to use
vista? (BTW you're right, MS did dumb down the whole operating system.
Vista is very pretty and it has some good features, but it really is for
dummies)
Adele

"Tim" wrote:

> In my opinion, MS really dumbed-down their Vista backup utility. I don't use
> it. Here is how I deal with a situation similar to yours. I use one of the
> XP machines to handle the backup process. Share the drives/folders of all
> the PCs you want to backup and use XP's backup utility (as a scheduled
> process) to grab the files from the other PCs and write them to an external
> drive (or where ever else you want to put them).
>
> You could also purchase a 3rd party backup utility (like Acronis) or use one
> of several free utilities butI've found XP's backup utility to be flexible
> enough for my needs.
>
> Tim
>
> "Adele" <Adele@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi
> > I am trying to backup files to my vista home premium pc. The other
> > computers are win xp systems and I need to schedule backups of files
> > located
> > on the other computers. In Vista, I cannot find I way to do this. Anyone
> > have any ideas?

Adele

Re: i want to backup files on a network to my vista home premium..
Thanks Tim,
the problem is that my computer is on a work network and is totally private