XP sharing Vista files

haynaguy

XP sharing Vista files
I have a newly setup network between my XP Pro computer and my Vista
Ultimate computer.

Each machine has its own printer but I can print on either printer
from either machine with no problem, but no so with file sharing.

I can access any file I want on the XP machine from the Vista machine.
BUT if I try to access files on the Vista machine from the XP machine
the only folder I can access is "Public.."

The network is Private and everything is turned On in the Network and
Sharing Center, except Password Protected Sharing which is turned
Off.

All folders and files on the Vista machine have been set to allow
sharing, and Permissions have all been set to Everyone with all three
boxes checked Allow.

User Account Control is turned OFF.

Still the problem prevails. Any suggestions will be greatly
appreciated.

Haynaguy

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: XP sharing Vista files
I would also check the permission in the Security tab. Or this search result may help,

Vista Permission IssuesPost Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:14 am Post subject: How to: check permissions using Vista icacls command, Reply with quote . ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/vista/vistapermission.htm

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"haynaguy" <haynaguy@echoes.net> wrote in message news:ui2283lkpfc21p15k79rdrvpunemrveovu@4ax.com...
[...]

Chuck

Re: XP sharing Vista files
On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 09:05:56 -0400, haynaguy <haynaguy@echoes.net> wrote:

>I have a newly setup network between my XP Pro computer and my Vista
>Ultimate computer.
>
>Each machine has its own printer but I can print on either printer
>from either machine with no problem, but no so with file sharing.
>
>I can access any file I want on the XP machine from the Vista machine.
>BUT if I try to access files on the Vista machine from the XP machine
>the only folder I can access is "Public.."
>
>The network is Private and everything is turned On in the Network and
>Sharing Center, except Password Protected Sharing which is turned
>Off.
>
>All folders and files on the Vista machine have been set to allow
>sharing, and Permissions have all been set to Everyone with all three
>boxes checked Allow.
>
>User Account Control is turned OFF.
>
>Still the problem prevails. Any suggestions will be greatly
>appreciated.
>
>Haynaguy

If the only folder accessible is "Public", you're probably accessing through the
Guest account. That's a problem with PPS Off, which is equivalent to Windows XP
with Simple File Sharing.

Enable PPS, then setup one or more non-Guest accounts for network access.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html#Guest>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...-xp.html#Guest

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
abpfischer

Re: XP sharing Vista files
Hi

I have a problem where my Vista laptop shows all the computers on the Home
Network but when I select the other computer it just launches media player
and I cannot access any files on the other computers??

"Chuck" wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 09:05:56 -0400, haynaguy <haynaguy@echoes.net> wrote:
>
> >I have a newly setup network between my XP Pro computer and my Vista
> >Ultimate computer.
> >
> >Each machine has its own printer but I can print on either printer
> >from either machine with no problem, but no so with file sharing.
> >
> >I can access any file I want on the XP machine from the Vista machine.
> >BUT if I try to access files on the Vista machine from the XP machine
> >the only folder I can access is "Public.."
> >
> >The network is Private and everything is turned On in the Network and
> >Sharing Center, except Password Protected Sharing which is turned
> >Off.
> >
> >All folders and files on the Vista machine have been set to allow
> >sharing, and Permissions have all been set to Everyone with all three
> >boxes checked Allow.
> >
> >User Account Control is turned OFF.
> >
> >Still the problem prevails. Any suggestions will be greatly
> >appreciated.
> >
> >Haynaguy

> If the only folder accessible is "Public", you're probably accessing through the
> Guest account. That's a problem with PPS Off, which is equivalent to Windows XP
> with Simple File Sharing.
>
> Enable PPS, then setup one or more non-Guest accounts for network access.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html#Guest>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...-xp.html#Guest
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck mvps org.

Chuck

Re: XP sharing Vista files
On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 18:08:04 -0700, abpfischer
<abpfischer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Chuck" wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 09:05:56 -0400, haynaguy <haynaguy@echoes.net> wrote:
>>
>> >I have a newly setup network between my XP Pro computer and my Vista
>> >Ultimate computer.
>> >
>> >Each machine has its own printer but I can print on either printer
>> >from either machine with no problem, but no so with file sharing.
>> >
>> >I can access any file I want on the XP machine from the Vista machine.
>> >BUT if I try to access files on the Vista machine from the XP machine
>> >the only folder I can access is "Public.."
>> >
>> >The network is Private and everything is turned On in the Network and
>> >Sharing Center, except Password Protected Sharing which is turned
>> >Off.
>> >
>> >All folders and files on the Vista machine have been set to allow
>> >sharing, and Permissions have all been set to Everyone with all three
>> >boxes checked Allow.
>> >
>> >User Account Control is turned OFF.
>> >
>> >Still the problem prevails. Any suggestions will be greatly
>> >appreciated.
>> >
>> >Haynaguy

>> If the only folder accessible is "Public", you're probably accessing through the
>> Guest account. That's a problem with PPS Off, which is equivalent to Windows XP
>> with Simple File Sharing.
>>
>> Enable PPS, then setup one or more non-Guest accounts for network access.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html#Guest>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...-xp.html#Guest

>Hi
>
>I have a problem where my Vista laptop shows all the computers on the Home
>Network but when I select the other computer it just launches media player
>and I cannot access any files on the other computers??

Launching Media Player is a bit odd. Exactly what error message or behaviour do
you see when you "cannot access any files on the other computers"?
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/background-information-useful-in.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...useful-in.html

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
abpfischer

Re: XP sharing Vista files
Dear Chuck

I have managed to sort out my isuue. It seems that Norton internet Security
intereferd with my Network detection. Since uninstalling Norton all is going
well now.

Regards
Andreas

"Chuck" wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 18:08:04 -0700, abpfischer
> <abpfischer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> >> If the only folder accessible is "Public", you're probably accessing through the
> >> Guest account. That's a problem with PPS Off, which is equivalent to Windows XP
> >> with Simple File Sharing.
> >>
> >> Enable PPS, then setup one or more non-Guest accounts for network access.
> >> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html#Guest>
> >> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...-xp.html#Guest

> >Hi
> >
> >I have a problem where my Vista laptop shows all the computers on the Home
> >Network but when I select the other computer it just launches media player
> >and I cannot access any files on the other computers??

> Launching Media Player is a bit odd. Exactly what error message or behaviour do
> you see when you "cannot access any files on the other computers"?
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/background-information-useful-in.html>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...useful-in.html
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck mvps org.

Chuck

Re: XP sharing Vista files
On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 03:36:05 -0700, abpfischer
<abpfischer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Chuck" wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 18:08:04 -0700, abpfischer
>> <abpfischer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>> >Hi
>> >
>> >I have a problem where my Vista laptop shows all the computers on the Home
>> >Network but when I select the other computer it just launches media player
>> >and I cannot access any files on the other computers??

>> Launching Media Player is a bit odd. Exactly what error message or behaviour do
>> you see when you "cannot access any files on the other computers"?
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/background-information-useful-in.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...useful-in.html

>Dear Chuck
>
>I have managed to sort out my isuue. It seems that Norton internet Security
>intereferd with my Network detection. Since uninstalling Norton all is going
>well now.
>
>Regards
>Andreas

And - - another personal firewall problem. Thanks for letting us know, Andreas.

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
haynaguy

Re: XP sharing Vista files
My Vista machine has NO Guest Account only me as Administrator.

The XP has its Guest Account disabled but enabling it but not using it
has no effect on my problem.

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 17:50:04 -0400, haynaguy <haynaguy@echoes.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 22:54:23 -0700, Chuck <none@example.net> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 18:08:04 -0700, abpfischer
>><abpfischer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>>>Hi
>>>
>>>I have a problem where my Vista laptop shows all the computers on the Home
>>>Network but when I select the other computer it just launches media player
>>>and I cannot access any files on the other computers??

>>Launching Media Player is a bit odd. Exactly what error message or behaviour do
>>you see when you "cannot access any files on the other computers"?
>><http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/background-information-useful-in.html>
>>http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...useful-in.html

>My Vista machine has NO Guest Account only me as Administrator.
>
>The XP has its Guest Account disabled but enabling it but not using it
>has no effect on my problem.

Did you turn Password Protected Sharing off?

If you disable PPS, you have to activate the Guest account. Run "Net User" in a
command window, and see what names are listed.