Cannot see user on another networked computer

intwtl

Cannot see user on another networked computer
I have two vista machines (ultimate) on my home network running through a
Dlink router.

I was finally able to see both computers public folders etc on both. This
was accomplished by turning off the password protected sharing. I can now
access the public folders and other folders I have set to share.

I want to turn on the "password protected sharing" and allow access to
shared files from either computer. When I set the folders to "share" and try
to set permissions for users from the other computer I can only see users
from the computer I am on. The location window "From this location" only
shows the computer I am setting the shared folder.

How can I set a user on another computer to have access to this folder while
having the password protected sharing enabled ?

Thanks,

Chuck

Re: Cannot see user on another networked computer
On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 20:42:59 -0700, "intwtl" <intwtl@pacific.net.sg> wrote:

>I have two vista machines (ultimate) on my home network running through a
>Dlink router.
>
>I was finally able to see both computers public folders etc on both. This
>was accomplished by turning off the password protected sharing. I can now
>access the public folders and other folders I have set to share.
>
>I want to turn on the "password protected sharing" and allow access to
>shared files from either computer. When I set the folders to "share" and try
>to set permissions for users from the other computer I can only see users
>from the computer I am on. The location window "From this location" only
>shows the computer I am setting the shared folder.
>
>How can I set a user on another computer to have access to this folder while
>having the password protected sharing enabled ?
>
>Thanks,

If you have a domain, you can select users on the domain to have access.
Without a domain, you can select users on this computer only. One of the
disadvantages of using a workgroup is that it's a pain in the ass if you have
more than a couple computers, and / or a couple people.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/08/setting-up-domain-or-workgroup-plan.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...roup-plan.html

If you want users on another computer to have transparent access, you have to
setup identical accounts on both computers, with identical passwords.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file-sharing-under-windows-xp.html#NonGuest>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0....html#NonGuest

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
intwtl

Re: Cannot see user on another networked computer
Thanks for the information and links. Very informative.