Vista file transfer fails

David R

Vista file transfer fails
I have Internet connectivity for browsing and small file download, however
anything over 128 kb aprox incurs significant packet loss. I've used Network
Monitor 3 to capture & identify packet loss. I've used MMC Reliability &
Performance monitor & capture Vista performance counters. I am not able to
look inside the ISO layers to determine where the packet loss is happening.
The packets are getting to the PC but are being lost or rejected somewhere
in the network stack.

Incoming packets sequences numbers and corresponding ACKs are all good for a
a short while then the required ACK for a packet that has been received is
not issued. Shortly after a ACK for the previous packet is reissued several
times. This is unsuccessful then a new request to re-start at a much earlier
ACK sequence number is requested. This takes some time to sort out.

I was able to download up to 1 meg a second on my ADSL 2 net connection -
now I'm down to 80 kbs download & 800 kbs upload. As you can see I'm not
happy. I was OK until "around" 14th June - Microsoft updates automatically
applied.

Windows Live Update & Symantec live updates eventually get files down (they
deal with broken file transfers), however other file transfers time-out, as
do copy operations to or from the Vista PC to the XP PC, they are on the same
subnet. I can browse the shares on each PC from each other and print to a
printer on the XP PC from the Vista PC.

I have installed hot fix Windows6.0-KB931770-x86 with no effect.
KB 931770 = The copy process may stop responding when you try to copy files
from a server on a network to a Windows Vista-based computer

I have an xp pc on the same internet connection - it can receive OK.
Vista has the same behaviour with firewall on & off.
I have installed Norton 360 with no change to the behaviour.
The Vista Network auto repair function identifies a problem but can not fix
it - It advises it is a ISP issue, not so as XP PC on same connection to net
is OK.
Both PCs have current virus protection.
Outlook is able to download attachments OK, most around 100kb.
I have switched cables, network cards, router ports & PCI slots with no
change to packet loss in the Vista PC.

I can reproduce the issue.

Can anyone help me?

David R

RE: Vista file transfer fails
I have found that on 15th June Microsoft Update updated the NIC drivers on my
PC Realtek Semiconductor Corp. - Networking - SURECOM EP-320X-R 100/10M PCI
Adapter, the roll-back option is greyed out. Version 6.103.126.2007
Installation date: ‎15/‎06/‎2007 5:39 PM
Installation status: Successful
Update type: Optional
Realtek Semiconductor Corp. Networking sofware update released in January,
2007
http://winqual.microsoft.com/support/?driverid=20042368

Have download new ver 6.104 2007/6/21 driver from driver from
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...&GetDown=false
and are about to try.

I'll let you know
How

"David R" wrote:

> I have Internet connectivity for browsing and small file download, however
> anything over 128 kb aprox incurs significant packet loss. I've used Network
> Monitor 3 to capture & identify packet loss. I've used MMC Reliability &
> Performance monitor & capture Vista performance counters. I am not able to
> look inside the ISO layers to determine where the packet loss is happening.
> The packets are getting to the PC but are being lost or rejected somewhere
> in the network stack.
>
> Incoming packets sequences numbers and corresponding ACKs are all good for a
> a short while then the required ACK for a packet that has been received is
> not issued. Shortly after a ACK for the previous packet is reissued several
> times. This is unsuccessful then a new request to re-start at a much earlier
> ACK sequence number is requested. This takes some time to sort out.
>
> I was able to download up to 1 meg a second on my ADSL 2 net connection -
> now I'm down to 80 kbs download & 800 kbs upload. As you can see I'm not
> happy. I was OK until "around" 14th June - Microsoft updates automatically
> applied.
>
> Windows Live Update & Symantec live updates eventually get files down (they
> deal with broken file transfers), however other file transfers time-out, as
> do copy operations to or from the Vista PC to the XP PC, they are on the same
> subnet. I can browse the shares on each PC from each other and print to a
> printer on the XP PC from the Vista PC.
>
> I have installed hot fix Windows6.0-KB931770-x86 with no effect.
> KB 931770 = The copy process may stop responding when you try to copy files
> from a server on a network to a Windows Vista-based computer
>
> I have an xp pc on the same internet connection - it can receive OK.
> Vista has the same behaviour with firewall on & off.
> I have installed Norton 360 with no change to the behaviour.
> The Vista Network auto repair function identifies a problem but can not fix
> it - It advises it is a ISP issue, not so as XP PC on same connection to net
> is OK.
> Both PCs have current virus protection.
> Outlook is able to download attachments OK, most around 100kb.
> I have switched cables, network cards, router ports & PCI slots with no
> change to packet loss in the Vista PC.
>
> I can reproduce the issue.
>
> Can anyone help me?

David R

RE: Vista file transfer fails
I have just installed the updated NIC driver direct from Realtek and have
done a performance test - Prior to driver upgrade 80 kbs, after upgrade 1939
kbs

MICROSOFT - Please change the driver ASAP.

"David R" wrote:

> [...]
> > subnet. I can browse the shares on each PC from each other and print to a
> > printer on the XP PC from the Vista PC.
> >
> > I have installed hot fix Windows6.0-KB931770-x86 with no effect.
> > KB 931770 = The copy process may stop responding when you try to copy files
> > from a server on a network to a Windows Vista-based computer
> >
> > I have an xp pc on the same internet connection - it can receive OK.
> > Vista has the same behaviour with firewall on & off.
> > I have installed Norton 360 with no change to the behaviour.
> > The Vista Network auto repair function identifies a problem but can not fix
> > it - It advises it is a ISP issue, not so as XP PC on same connection to net
> > is OK.
> > Both PCs have current virus protection.
> > Outlook is able to download attachments OK, most around 100kb.
> > I have switched cables, network cards, router ports & PCI slots with no

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Vista file transfer fails
Thank you for the information.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE

"David R" wrote:

> [...]
> > subnet. I can browse the shares on each PC from each other and print to a
> > printer on the XP PC from the Vista PC.
> >
> > I have installed hot fix Windows6.0-KB931770-x86 with no effect.
> > KB 931770 = The copy process may stop responding when you try to copy files
> > from a server on a network to a Windows Vista-based computer
> >
> > I have an xp pc on the same internet connection - it can receive OK.
> > Vista has the same behaviour with firewall on & off.
> > I have installed Norton 360 with no change to the behaviour.
> > The Vista Network auto repair function identifies a problem but can not fix
> > it - It advises it is a ISP issue, not so as XP PC on same connection to net
> > is OK.
> > Both PCs have current virus protection.
> > Outlook is able to download attachments OK, most around 100kb.
> > I have switched cables, network cards, router ports & PCI slots with no

Fixed all my intermittent packet loss tooRE: Vista file transfer f
Thanks David,
I've been struggling with my intermittent packet loss and "cup and string"
like downloads since my vista install..
Microsoft take note.. change to this driver...

Thanks