Cannot Conect to a public library Wireless network.

Kudos73

Cannot Conect to a public library Wireless network.
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can help. I recently purchased a Wireless Laptop
and have it set up for a home wireless network. A public library recently
opened and iwent to connect to their wireless network. It recognizes the
network and gives the signal strenght as excellent. But when i go to log on
it will not and asks the question do i want Windows to diagnose and repai the
problem. When i click yes it says it still cannot repair the problem. Is
there any settings i would need to change to allow me access to the Wireless
network. I have windows home basic, A toshiba Laptop and the Said network is
Unsecured, So i do not need the SSID. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Cannot Conect to a public library Wireless network.
The warless adapter may not talk to the DHCP. Posting the result of ipconfig /all here may help.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Kudos73" <Kudos73@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:81DA517B-3ADE-42D6-A49F-68F307752B30@microsoft.com...
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can help. I recently purchased a Wireless Laptop
and have it set up for a home wireless network. A public library recently
opened and iwent to connect to their wireless network. It recognizes the
network and gives the signal strenght as excellent. But when i go to log on
it will not and asks the question do i want Windows to diagnose and repai the
problem. When i click yes it says it still cannot repair the problem. Is
there any settings i would need to change to allow me access to the Wireless
network. I have windows home basic, A toshiba Laptop and the Said network is
Unsecured, So i do not need the SSID. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Chuck

Re: Cannot Conect to a public library Wireless network.
On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 08:51:00 -0700, Kudos73 <Kudos73@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Just wondering if anyone can help. I recently purchased a Wireless Laptop
>and have it set up for a home wireless network. A public library recently
>opened and iwent to connect to their wireless network. It recognizes the
>network and gives the signal strenght as excellent. But when i go to log on
>it will not and asks the question do i want Windows to diagnose and repai the
>problem. When i click yes it says it still cannot repair the problem. Is
>there any settings i would need to change to allow me access to the Wireless
>network. I have windows home basic, A toshiba Laptop and the Said network is
>Unsecured, So i do not need the SSID. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

If you're set for a home wireless network, you're probably using a Network
Location Type = Private. If you're going to connect to a public network, you
probably want to change that.

Also, for Windows Vista, check the DHCP Broadcast flag.
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233/>
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233/

And even though it's a public library, you may still have to get permission to
use the network. The reading "Signal Strength = Excellent" says that you have
signal, not connectivity.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/04/beware-honeypot.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2007/0...-honeypot.html

--