Internet Connection Only in Safe Mode

MsWrite

Internet Connection Only in Safe Mode
Hi -

I just received my new Gateway desktop with Vista on Monday. I went out and
bought a new Linksys wireless G router to replace my old router and when I
hooked them up everything worked perfectly on the desktop.

That is until Tuesday night when I could no longer access the Internet using
a browser. The Google Desktop thing still updated itself; other applications
were able to go online to download updates; the networking icon indicated
that the computer was connected; and the repair function said nothing needed
repairing.

So, after a few hours on hold with my ISP, unplugging the modem, restarting
the system; then unplugging the network cable from the router and plugging it
into the modem and reattaching everything; we restarted the computer in safe
mode with networking.

Eureka, it worked. The only problem - no one (not my ISP or Linksys) can
tell me how to get it to work in normal mode. Can someone please help me?

The only changes made to the machine before the problem began was a few
updates from Microsoft and McAfee. Before they installed I had no problem
with getting to the Web in normal mode. Now, nothing.

MsWrite
--
MsWrite
Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: Internet Connection Only in Safe Mode
It could be a security software. Try to run windows OS with a clean boot to troubleshoot it. This how to may help,

How to run Windows OS with a clean ...How to run Windows OS with a clean boot ... when you cannot determine the cause of the issue, you may run Windows Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Network. ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums/viewtopic.php?t=57

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE