Networking with XP

Drew

Networking with XP
I bought a Vista computer from Dell. I connected it to my home network and
it would not recognize shared files on my XP computer and visa versa. It
would, however connect to the internet.

After many tries Dell told me that Vista would not network with XP without a
$150 download and they are going to take the computer back.

Is this correct? If so, is buying an XP computer the only other solution?

Thanks

Dave

Re: Networking with XP
That's not true.

Read this for a good explanation of Vista networking...

"Drew" <drew@home.net> wrote in message
>I bought a Vista computer from Dell. I connected it to my home network and
>it would not recognize shared files on my XP computer and visa versa. It
>would, however connect to the internet.
>
> After many tries Dell told me that Vista would not network with XP without
> a $150 download and they are going to take the computer back.
>
> Is this correct? If so, is buying an XP computer the only other solution?
>
> Thanks

Malke

Re: Networking with XP
Dave wrote:
> That's not true.
>
> Read this for a good explanation of Vista networking...

> "Drew" <drew@home.net> wrote in message
>> I bought a Vista computer from Dell. I connected it to my home
>> network and it would not recognize shared files on my XP computer and
>> visa versa. It would, however connect to the internet.
>>
>> After many tries Dell told me that Vista would not network with XP
>> without a $150 download and they are going to take the computer back.
>>
>> Is this correct? If so, is buying an XP computer the only other
>> solution?

As Dave said, what Dell told you is absolutely not true. Go to the link
he gave you for the Vista part of setting up your network. For the XP
part, this additional cut/paste information may help:

Problems sharing files between computers on a network are generally
caused by 1) a misconfigured firewall; or 2) inadvertently running two
firewalls such as the built-in Windows Firewall and a third-party
firewall; and/or 3) not having identical user accounts and passwords on
all Workgroup machines; 4) trying to create shares where the operating
system does not permit it.

Here are some general networking tips for home/small networks:

1. Configure firewalls on all machines to allow the Local Area Network
(LAN) traffic as trusted. With Windows Firewall, this means allowing
File/Printer Sharing on the Exceptions tab. Normally running the Network
Setup Wizard on XP will take care of this for those machines.The only
"gotcha" is that this will turn on the XPSP2 Windows Firewall. If you
aren't running a third-party firewall or have an antivirus with
"Internet Worm Protection" (like Norton 2006/07) which acts as a
firewall, then you're fine. With third-party firewalls, I usually
configure the LAN allowance with an IP range. Ex. would be
subnet. Do not run more than one firewall.

2. With earlier Microsoft operating systems, the name of the Workgroup
didn't matter. Apparently it does with Vista, so put all computers in
the same Workgroup. This is done from the System applet in Control
Panel, Computer Name tab.

3. Create identical user accounts and passwords on all machines. If you
wish a machine to boot directly to the Desktop (into one particular
user's account) for convenience, you can do this. The instructions at
this link work for both XP and Vista:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/Autologon.htm

4. If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center:

accounts/passwords on all computers.

b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the
Simple File Sharing enabled.

resources. This is a security hole but only you can decide if it matters
in your situation.

I think it is a good idea to create the identical user
accounts/passwords in any case when Vista machines are involved and it
isn't an onerous task with home/small networks.

5. Create shares as desired. XP Home does not permit sharing of users'
Shared Documents folder. See the first link above for details about
Vista sharing.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers