Unable to map to Network Drive

Andy P

Unable to map to Network Drive
I have a new Dell PC running Windows Vista Home Premium. I have been trying
to get it to map to a drive on my Linksys NSLU2 (Network Attached Storage) to
no avail. Every time I try to map to the Device, I get an error "The mapped
network drive could not be created because the following error has occurred:
The specified network name is no longer available." When I go to the Network
and Sharing center, I am able to see the NAS and all my PC's, but I cannot
get at the files on the Linksys NSLU2. I am running a Peer to Peer network
with 2 Windows XP machines, my new Vista Dell and the Linksys NAS. The XP
machines can map to the NAS, but not my Vista machine.

How can I fix this problem?

Thanks.
Jari Arkko

Re: Vista and NSLU2
Please see instructions in http://www.arkko.com/linux/vistanas.html

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Andy P

Re: Vista and NSLU2
Thanks for the post. However, I did the registry fix as you suggested, but
am still unable to map to a network drive on my Linksys NSLU2. I have also
spoken to Linksys and they still do not have a firmware patch for my NSLU2.

Is there anything else I can try?

"Jari Arkko" wrote:

> Please see instructions in http://www.arkko.com/linux/vistanas.html

> http://www.eggheadcafe.com

Chuck

Re: Unable to map to Network Drive
On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 23:04:00 -0700, Andy P <AndyP@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I have a new Dell PC running Windows Vista Home Premium. I have been trying
>to get it to map to a drive on my Linksys NSLU2 (Network Attached Storage) to
>no avail. Every time I try to map to the Device, I get an error "The mapped
>network drive could not be created because the following error has occurred:
>The specified network name is no longer available." When I go to the Network
>and Sharing center, I am able to see the NAS and all my PC's, but I cannot
>get at the files on the Linksys NSLU2. I am running a Peer to Peer network
>with 2 Windows XP machines, my new Vista Dell and the Linksys NAS. The XP
>machines can map to the NAS, but not my Vista machine.
>
>How can I fix this problem?
>
>Thanks.

Andy,

This suggests a name resolution problem.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/address-resolution-on-lan.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...on-on-lan.html

Look at the NetBT setting, and all personal firewalls.
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
Andy P

Re: Unable to map to Network Drive
Hi there,

I tried to enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP on all my PC's and re-checked my
Firewall settings and am still unable to map to the Linksys Network Drive.

Do you have any more suggestions?

Thanks,

Andy

"Chuck" wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 23:04:00 -0700, Andy P <AndyP@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I have a new Dell PC running Windows Vista Home Premium. I have been trying
> >to get it to map to a drive on my Linksys NSLU2 (Network Attached Storage) to
> >no avail. Every time I try to map to the Device, I get an error "The mapped
> >network drive could not be created because the following error has occurred:
> >The specified network name is no longer available." When I go to the Network
> >and Sharing center, I am able to see the NAS and all my PC's, but I cannot
> >get at the files on the Linksys NSLU2. I am running a Peer to Peer network
> >with 2 Windows XP machines, my new Vista Dell and the Linksys NAS. The XP
> >machines can map to the NAS, but not my Vista machine.
> >
> >How can I fix this problem?
> >
> >Thanks.

> Andy,
>
> This suggests a name resolution problem.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/address-resolution-on-lan.html>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...on-on-lan.html
>
> Look at the NetBT setting, and all personal firewalls.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/07/advanced-windows-networking-using.html>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck mvps org.

NetBiznessMan

Re: Unable to map to Network Drive
Go to >Control Panel >Network and Sharing Center. than make sure that your
network says it is a 'private network', if not use the link that says
'customize' and change it to a private network. You should be able to map it
now.

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 14:25:01 -0700, Andy P <AndyP@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>"Chuck" wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 9 Jun 2007 23:04:00 -0700, Andy P <AndyP@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I have a new Dell PC running Windows Vista Home Premium. I have been trying
>> >to get it to map to a drive on my Linksys NSLU2 (Network Attached Storage) to
>> >no avail. Every time I try to map to the Device, I get an error "The mapped
>> >network drive could not be created because the following error has occurred:
>> >The specified network name is no longer available." When I go to the Network
>> >and Sharing center, I am able to see the NAS and all my PC's, but I cannot
>> >get at the files on the Linksys NSLU2. I am running a Peer to Peer network
>> >with 2 Windows XP machines, my new Vista Dell and the Linksys NAS. The XP
>> >machines can map to the NAS, but not my Vista machine.
>> >
>> >How can I fix this problem?
>> >
>> >Thanks.

>> Andy,
>>
>> This suggests a name resolution problem.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/address-resolution-on-lan.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...on-on-lan.html
>>
>> Look at the NetBT setting, and all personal firewalls.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/07/advanced-windows-networking-using.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/0...ing-using.html

>Hi there,
>
>I tried to enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP on all my PC's and re-checked my
>Firewall settings and am still unable to map to the Linksys Network Drive.
>
>Do you have any more suggestions?

Let's look at logs from "browstat status" and "ipconfig /all", from each
computer. Read this article, and linked articles, and follow instructions
precisely (download browstat!):

Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Andy P

Re: Unable to map to Network Drive
Hi there,

My network is already set up as a private network and I am still unable to
map to the Linksys Network Drive. Any more suggestions, please.

Thanks.

Andy