Sharing problems in Vista

The Computer Dr.

Sharing problems in Vista
I have a client with two Window's Vista Business systems. The are on a small
office workgroup. System one has a folder on Drive C that is shared with all
of their user data on it. System two is supposed to be able to access that
data. When the users on system two try to save changes to a file, it says
that they cannot and that they have to save it under a different name due to
a sharing violation.

Is there some trick to sharing in Windows Vista to get it to work right.
These systems are two new installs.
--
The Computer Dr.
Chuck

Re: Sharing problems in Vista
On Thu, 7 Jun 2007 21:11:00 -0700, The Computer Dr.
<TheComputerDr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a client with two Window's Vista Business systems. The are on a small
>office workgroup. System one has a folder on Drive C that is shared with all
>of their user data on it. System two is supposed to be able to access that
>data. When the users on system two try to save changes to a file, it says
>that they cannot and that they have to save it under a different name due to
>a sharing violation.
>
>Is there some trick to sharing in Windows Vista to get it to work right.
>These systems are two new installs.

Can they save it to a different file name in the same folder? Is the file
currently open by System One?

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
The Computer Dr.

Re: Sharing problems in Vista
They cannot save it under a different name on that shared drive. It gives a
sharing violation error. They can only save it locally without getting the
error.

The folder is not open on system one at the time they are trying to open it
and use it on system 2
--
The Computer Dr.

"Chuck" wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Jun 2007 21:11:00 -0700, The Computer Dr.
> <TheComputerDr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have a client with two Window's Vista Business systems. The are on a small
> >office workgroup. System one has a folder on Drive C that is shared with all
> >of their user data on it. System two is supposed to be able to access that
> >data. When the users on system two try to save changes to a file, it says
> >that they cannot and that they have to save it under a different name due to
> >a sharing violation.
> >
> >Is there some trick to sharing in Windows Vista to get it to work right.
> >These systems are two new installs.

> Can they save it to a different file name in the same folder? Is the file
> currently open by System One?
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck mvps org.

Chuck

Re: Sharing problems in Vista
On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 16:07:01 -0700, The Computer Dr.
<TheComputerDr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>They cannot save it under a different name on that shared drive. It gives a
>sharing violation error. They can only save it locally without getting the
>error.
>
>The folder is not open on system one at the time they are trying to open it
>and use it on system 2

It's an inherited permissions problem. The person who creates it has more
permission than the person who's trying to update it.

Look at the permissions (authorisation), for both user names.