VPN and my internet connection - confusing problem please help

Stratus42

VPN and my internet connection - confusing problem please help
Hi !

I have a wireless broadband connection and I'm using Windows Vista
Business. Occasionally I need to connect to a remote network using a
VPN.

Now in the good ole' days when I was using XP-pro - I simply
connected to the VPN, mapped the drive, transferred the files I needed
to transfer, and didn't worry about it.

Now - I connect to the VPN, map the drive, transfer the files.. but
wait! while the VPN is active, I can't check my email, use MSN
Messenger, or Skype, or check any internet pages ! .. It's like I've
lost my internet use entirely. Only the VPN works..

this never used to be the case, I could receive new instructions on
my email, make changes and then upload my changes with the vpn no
problem.

Now, I need to disconnect the vpn connection, check email, find
changes, modify the file.. then quickly connect to the vpn and upload
my files, then quickly disconnect so I can receive any more
instructions over skype/or messenger... they're all cut off from the
internet when the vpn is active.

How can I return to the good old days and keep my internet connection
working, while connected to a vpn???

Thanks for any help

Stratus

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: VPN and my internet connection - confusing problem please help
You may want to disable Use default gateway on remote network. This post may help,

Can't Connect to the Internet ...This is counter-intuitive setting when your local adaptor is set (in Vista) to local access and Internet, and the remote VPN is set to local only, but ...
http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...aecc3 3f34c23

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Stratus42" <lana@berrington.ca> wrote in message news:1181214468.381800.42430@m36g2000hse.googlegro ups.com...
[...]

Aanand Ramachandran

Re: VPN and my internet connection - confusing problem please help
Hi Stratus,
Can you send me the output of ipconfig /all? You have to execute this
from an elevated command prompt. I think you might be hitting a known issue.
Just wanted to confirm.

thanks
Aanand