No Auto IP Retrieval

Alias

No Auto IP Retrieval
Hello all,

In Vista Home Basic I always have to do a "Diagnose and Repair" to force
Vista to retrieve the I.P. address from my Netgear WPN824 router. This was
never required under WinXP so I'm wondering why Vista never does this on it's
own.

Is there a way to force Vista into automatically getting the I.P. address
from the router?

-A
GTS

Re: No Auto IP Retrieval
Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from
certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233/en-us
--

"Alias" <Alias@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> In Vista Home Basic I always have to do a "Diagnose and Repair" to force
> Vista to retrieve the I.P. address from my Netgear WPN824 router. This
> was
> never required under WinXP so I'm wondering why Vista never does this on
> it's
> own.
>
> Is there a way to force Vista into automatically getting the I.P. address
> from the router?
>
> -A

David Dickinson

Re: No Auto IP Retrieval
re: KB928233

Doesn't this seem like one of the stupidest new "features" of Vista?
Shouldn't a computer be able to connect easily to /any/ network?

However, Alias' problem might not be related to KB928233. I have a Win2K
Server that provides DHCP to the network, and a Vista Biz machine (surely
they knew that we would shorten it to that, right?) is the only one that
can't get an address, but works great with a static address. Still
researching...

--
David ****inson
eveningstar at die-spammer-die dash mvps dot org

Alias

Re: No Auto IP Retrieval
GTS,

After editing my registry according to instructions in KB928233 I am happy
to say that Vista now gets an IP address automatically at each boot up.

You have saved me the trouble of finding an IP manually every time Vista
starts. I bow to you for your knowledge and support :-)

-A

"GTS" wrote:

> Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from
> certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers
>
> "Alias" <Alias@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello all,
> >
> > In Vista Home Basic I always have to do a "Diagnose and Repair" to force
> > Vista to retrieve the I.P. address from my Netgear WPN824 router. This
> > was
> > never required under WinXP so I'm wondering why Vista never does this on
> > it's
> > own.
> >
> > Is there a way to force Vista into automatically getting the I.P. address
> > from the router?
> >
> > -A

GTS

Re: No Auto IP Retrieval