Vista laptop refusing to connect to Access Point

orrcad

Vista laptop refusing to connect to Access Point

-----------------------------
Hi there..

setup :

Telsey CPVA 500 router (adsl provider Tele2 in spain)
DLink DWL-G700AP access point
Asus X51R laptop with Vista Home Premium (pre-installed):Atheros AR5006EG
wireless network adaptor

1.I can connect the laptop to the router directly via ethernet cable without
problem.
2. Other laptops with XP can connect wirelessly with no problem (WEP
activated)
3. I cannot connect the laptop to the Access point above. I can connect to
other wifi networks but not this one. When i try to connect i get the error
message:

Root cause:
Windows cannot connect to "blackhorse"
Wireless association failed due to an unknown reason.

Detailed root cause:
802.11 connection failed due to status code 1: unspecified failure

It´s like it doesn´t even attempt to connect. Straight to the above
message..no connection bar and no WEP key prompt. (I have tried both
open/disabled and WEP activated..same result.)

I´ve turned off ant-virus before all this. Firewall aswell.
I´ve tried fixed IP on laptop.
Wireless adaptor uninstalled and re-installed with up to date drivers.
Access point firmware is up to date.
I´ve reset the AP . Started again. still same result.

The router I cannot access because Tele2 have prevented it. which is
ridiculous but seeing as i can connect with cable ok I´m assuming the problem
isn´t there.
I´ve spoken to Dlink ..they say no problem with their product and Vista.
It´s the configuration of the laptop they say...?

I can´t think of what else to do. I´d like to try a different access point
with this router but haven´t one available and I can walk outside and connect
to a different network no probs...

is there something i haven´t tried? Why just this laptop and this network?

if not i´ll have to uninstall Vista and go back to XP .

any help would be much appreciated.

neil

event report below..

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Networking
Date: 19/03/2007 23:10:23
Event ID: 6100
Task Category: (12)
Level: Information
Helper Class (RNWF MSM Helper Class) Event:

Wireless Diagnostic Helper Class Event

For complete information about this session see the Wireless Diagnostic
Informational Event.

Helper Class: Native WiFi MSM
Initialize status: Success

Information for connection being diagnosed
Interface GUID: 2bd302b4-0d6e-417e-b56f-9cbf93922255
Interface name: Atheros AR5006EG Wireless Network Adapter
Interface type: Native WiFi
Profile: Discovery connection
SSID: blackhorse
SSID length: 10
Connection mode: Infra
Security: Yes
Connect even if network is not broadcasting: No

Result of diagnosis: Problem found

Root cause:
Windows cannot connect to "blackhorse"
Wireless association failed due to an unknown reason.

Detailed root cause:
802.11 connection failed due to status code 1: unspecified failure

Repair option:
Try connecting to "blackhorse" again
If the problem continues, contact your network administrator or hardware
manufacturer for further assistance.

Event Verbosity:0
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Diagnostics-Networking"
Guid="{36c23e18-0e66-11d9-bbeb-505054503030}" />
<EventID>6100</EventID>
<Version>0</Version>
<Level>4</Level>
<Task>12</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x4000000000000002</Keywords>
<EventRecordID>4855</EventRecordID>
<Correlation ActivityID="{7B37C63F-1246-4161-BC74-BA63755B8719}" />
<Execution ProcessID="3588" ThreadID="5332" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>deano-PC</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-19" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="HelperClassName">RNWF MSM Helper Class</Data>
<Data Name="EventDescription">Wireless Diagnostic Helper Class Event

[...]

</Data>
<Data Name="EventVerbosity">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>
Barb Bowman

Re: Vista laptop refusing to connect to Access Point
I replied to this same question in another group.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Userca

Vista laptop refusing to connect to Access Point - orrca
Hi there,

I was facing the same problem while trying to connect a Vista / Wi-Fi PC to my Linksys Router WRT54GS. I found a solution in this forum :

http://www.developerfood.com/re-vist...8/article.aspx

It is referenced by Microsoft in :

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233/en-us

The problem is the BROADCAST flag in DHCP discovery packets different in Vista vs. XP SP2.

And for me the solution was to set the following registry entry as follows:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{GUID}

Value name: DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag
Value type: REG_DWORD
Value data: 0

Then I had to manually remove the PCI Wi-Fi card (Linksys WMT54G) from the computer. At this point I only had a Local connection without internet acces. Then I had to shut-down and restart it to get full internet access.

Nothing to do with what said Mr. Bowman [MS Windows-MVP] in another forum : namely switching from Wireless Default Channel 6 to channel 1 or 11 (to avoid overlapping ... of what ?).

I hope this will help your connection pb.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
orrcad

RE: Vista laptop refusing to connect to Access Point - orrca
thanks for the link userca.. no joy i´m afraid. still exactly the exact same
response.
i think i´ll have to either change to xp or take the laptop back. I have
exactly the same setup in 2 locations (same router with AP) and i´m not going
to change 2 APs just coz vista doesn´t like it.

it´s annoying coz i´ve tried everything and don´t want to give up...

but..

cheers anyway.
orrcad

"Userca" wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I was facing the same problem while trying to connect a Vista / Wi-Fi PC to my Linksys Router WRT54GS. I found a solution in this forum :
>
> http://www.developerfood.com/re-vist...8/article.aspx
>
> It is referenced by Microsoft in :

> The problem is the BROADCAST flag in DHCP discovery packets different in Vista vs. XP SP2.
>
> And for me the solution was to set the following registry entry as follows:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{GUID}
>
> Value name: DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag
> Value type: REG_DWORD
> Value data: 0
>
> Then I had to manually remove the PCI Wi-Fi card (Linksys WMT54G) from the computer. At this point I only had a Local connection without internet acces. Then I had to shut-down and restart it to get full internet access.
>
> Nothing to do with what said Mr. Bowman [MS Windows-MVP] in another forum : namely switching from Wireless Default Channel 6 to channel 1 or 11 (to avoid overlapping ... of what ?).
>
> I hope this will help your connection pb.

> http://www.eggheadcafe.com

pure_carbon

RE: Vista laptop refusing to connect to Access Point - orrca
I've just been experiencing the same problem re:

Root cause:
Windows cannot connect to "xyzabc"
Wireless association failed due to an unknown reason.

Detailed root cause:
802.11 connection failed due to status code 1: unspecified failure

Windows Vista Home Basic
Toshiba Satellite L30
Atheros AR5005G wireless adapter card
Wireless Access Point - Edimax EW7206APG

Upgraded drivers for wireless adapter card - and it still didn't work
Upgraded firmware for the Wireless Access Point - now works a treat!!!!
motarola2

Re: Vista laptop refusing to connect to Access Point

download the latest driver for your wireless card
uninstall the wireless card driver from the device manager
then right click the setup file and click the compatibility tab, select
compatibility mode with windows XP SP2. then click ok, and run the
setup.

--
motarola2
ayres

pure_carbon;377789 Wrote:
> I've just been experiencing the same problem re:
>
> Root cause:
> Windows cannot connect to "xyzabc"
> Wireless association failed due to an unknown reason.
>
> Detailed root cause:
> 802.11 connection failed due to status code 1: unspecified failure
>
> Windows Vista Home Basic
> Toshiba Satellite L30
> Atheros AR5005G wireless adapter card
> Wireless Access Point - Edimax EW7206APG
>
> Upgraded drivers for wireless adapter card - and it still didn't work
> Upgraded firmware for the Wireless Access Point - now works a treat!!!!

I too have an Edimax EW7206apg but do not know how to upgrade firmware.
We have tried to access Edimax by using our IP address of 192.168.2.1
but this fails to open or allow access. HELP please!!!!!

--
ayres