"This file is currently not available for use on this computer."

Matt Callaghan

"This file is currently not available for use on this computer."
So I have a server on my home network.

this is a VISTA ONLY problem. XP machines have no problem.

Situation:
I have a network share called "share".
with directories...
\foo
\bar

Vista can see foo, bar, and all of their contents.

On the server I renamed 'bar' to 'bat'.
Created another folder 'bar' and put some new files in there.

Vista took 30 minutes to actually SEE this change ...
Now Vista sees THREE folders!
\foo
\bar
\bat

It can see all of the contents of foo and bat, but it STILL sees the old bar
folder, and all of its OLD contents! Files in the bar folder have an "x"
across them indicated they're not available. Vista does NOT see the 'new'
bar contents....

If I try to open a file in bar, i receive the following error:
"This file is currently not available for use on this computer."

If I try to delete a file in bar, i receive the following error:
Delete File:
An unexpected error is preventing the operation. Make a note of this error
code, which might be useful if you get additional help to resolve this
problem:

Error 0x800710FE: This file is currently not available for use on this
computer.
(Try again, or Cancel)

What's the deal?

Shadow copies are disabled on the server, and on my client Vista machine.

Robert L [MVP - Networking]

Re: "This file is currently not available for use on this computer."
It could be the index issue. For test, disable teh index service and restart the computer. Please post back with the result.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
"Matt Callaghan" <MattCallaghan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news60E18BE-5B0E-4FC8-BD51-FD2123E0C30F@microsoft.com...
[...]

How do I disable the "index service"?

services.msc does not show any 'index' service..
in control panel there are "index options", but nowhere can i disable
indexing in there...

Please advise

"Robert L [MVP - Networking]" wrote:

> It could be the index issue. For test, disable teh index service and restart the computer. Please post back with the result.
>
> Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
> "Matt Callaghan" <MattCallaghan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news60E18BE-5B0E-4FC8-BD51-FD2123E0C30F@microsoft.com...
> So I have a server on my home network.
>
> this is a VISTA ONLY problem. XP machines have no problem.
>
> Situation:
> I have a network share called "share".
> with directories...
> \foo
> \bar
>
> Vista can see foo, bar, and all of their contents.
>
> On the server I renamed 'bar' to 'bat'.
> Created another folder 'bar' and put some new files in there.
>
> Vista took 30 minutes to actually SEE this change ...
> Now Vista sees THREE folders!
> \foo
> \bar
> \bat
>
> It can see all of the contents of foo and bat, but it STILL sees the old bar
> folder, and all of its OLD contents! Files in the bar folder have an "x"
> across them indicated they're not available. Vista does NOT see the 'new'
> bar contents....
>
> If I try to open a file in bar, i receive the following error:
> "This file is currently not available for use on this computer."
>
> If I try to delete a file in bar, i receive the following error:
> Delete File:
> An unexpected error is preventing the operation. Make a note of this error
> code, which might be useful if you get additional help to resolve this
> problem:
>
> Error 0x800710FE: This file is currently not available for use on this
> computer.
> (Try again, or Cancel)
>
> What's the deal?
>
> Shadow copies are disabled on the server, and on my client Vista machine

Mike Gustavson

Re: "This file is currently not available for use on this computer
I'm having a similar issue.

My Documents folder on my Vista box is redirected to my Win 2003
server. The folder is set to be available offline. My server just
crapped out - blew up entirely. I can still log on to my domain
account on the machine, because it's set to cached logons. And, since
I have offline files enabled, all my files are still available.
However, I'm trying to copy the whole documents folder to an external
drive as a backup, and in the middle of the copy, it freezes on an MVA
file and gives that same 0x800710fe error.

I have tried stopping the indexing service to no avail. BTW Matt - the
indexing service is what's used to create the index of all your files
and e-mails for the instant search capability of Vista.

JP

Re: "This file is currently not available for use on this computer
I'm having the same problem with a folder that I Cut and then pasted
to a remote drive. I don't see much help on the internet regarding
this.

Did anyone ever figure this out?