How to Network Laptop (with Vista) to Desktop with XP

Bubymae

How to Network Laptop (with Vista) to Desktop with XP
I have a new laptop (Dell with Wi Fi) that has vista premium on it and I want
to be able to network the laptop with the Desktop so I can access files that
are on my desktop. I have already set up a Network (is this what you call
it?) so that I can get onthe internet on the laptop using the Wi Fi (My Modem
/ Router that is conected to the desktop by ethernet allows wireless - not
sure if this makes sense? Im not good at all the terminology). Anyway, what
I need to do is be able to access the files onthe desktop via my laptop - can
someone tell what I need to do now? Do I use the same network that I already
have set up (the one how I can get on the internet) - or is this network I
have set up (and is working just fine) only to be able to get on the net and
not to be able to access my desktop computers files? I have played with the
Network and Sharing centre but cant seem to get my head around it all. I
have named the laptop and the desktop and have given them the same name for
the workgroup name. But now I dont know how to get them to talk to eachother
- can I do this with the Wi Fi? or do I need to plug in a cord from the
laptop to the desktop?

Confused!
Chuck

Re: How to Network Laptop (with Vista) to Desktop with XP
On Sat, 19 May 2007 06:34:02 -0700, Bubymae <Bubymae@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I have a new laptop (Dell with Wi Fi) that has vista premium on it and I want
>to be able to network the laptop with the Desktop so I can access files that
>are on my desktop. I have already set up a Network (is this what you call
>it?) so that I can get onthe internet on the laptop using the Wi Fi (My Modem
>/ Router that is conected to the desktop by ethernet allows wireless - not
>sure if this makes sense? Im not good at all the terminology). Anyway, what
>I need to do is be able to access the files onthe desktop via my laptop - can
>someone tell what I need to do now? Do I use the same network that I already
>have set up (the one how I can get on the internet) - or is this network I
>have set up (and is working just fine) only to be able to get on the net and
>not to be able to access my desktop computers files? I have played with the
>Network and Sharing centre but cant seem to get my head around it all. I
>have named the laptop and the desktop and have given them the same name for
>the workgroup name. But now I dont know how to get them to talk to eachother
>- can I do this with the Wi Fi? or do I need to plug in a cord from the
>laptop to the desktop?
>
>Confused!

Do both computers have Internet access, through the same router? If so, you
have a private LAN. That's the network that you use.

If you're adding a computer running Windows Vista to your network, you have to
set it up as a server, so you can access it from your other computers.
* Set the Network Location Type to "Private". This requires that your
computers are secure, behind a perimeter firewall or a NAT router, and opens the
personal firewall to allow Server Message Blocks (SMBs) to pass between the
computers.
* Check / set "Password protected sharing" (PPS). Disabling PPS is the
equivalent of enabling Simple File Sharing, in Windows XP.
* Setup shared folders and printers. If you enabled PPS, you should setup
access for individual users. If you disabled PPS, you setup access for "Guest"
or "Everyone". Since Vista security is "deny by default (permit by demand)",
"Everyone" doesn't automatically have access to newly created shares. Check
Security for each share created, if you disable PPS.

Other than the network setup wizards used, Vista will be pretty similar to XP.
You'll still have issues with Windows Networking, if not properly set.
* Put all computers in the same workgroup.
* Make sure that NetBT is Enabled consistently.
* Make sure that all personal firewalls are properly setup.
* Make sure that name resolution is consistently setup.

For more details about the above issues:

Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT