Fat32 and NTFS File systems ?

André Landreau

Fat32 and NTFS File systems ?
Hi All,

I am trying to associate two systems in a local network on the following
way:
System A is a HP dual core workstation running Windows Vista Ultimate 32bits
that links to an ADSL rooter by WiFi.
System B is an IBM Thinkpad running Windows 98 second edition that connects
to the same ADSL rooter also by WiFi.
Both systems connect to the network and Internet OK. Both systems can see
each other in their respective Network Neighborhood.
System A can access, read and copy files from system B and access the local
printers.
When trying to access system A files from system B. System B hangs up.
Now I wonder whether a Fat32 system can access an NTFS disk via a network ?
Thanks a lot for helping.

André M. Landreau
amlandreau@wanadoo.fr

GTS

Re: Fat32 and NTFS File systems ?
The file system is irrelevant. The issue involves security setting. The
following information was provided by Steve Winograd [MVP] in a past post:

Here's how to configure Vista to use LM and NTLM authentication to
allow access from 95/98/Me when password protected sharing is enabled.
I'd like to thank my fellow MVP Evan Pearce, who helped me understand
and test this:

1. Click the Start button, type "regedit" in the Start Search box, and
press Enter.

2. Click "Continue" in the User Account Control prompt.

3. Open this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Lsa

4. If they don't already exist, create DWORD values named
LmCompatibilityLevel and NoLmHash.

5. Set LMCompatibilityLevel to 1.

6. Set NoLmHash to 0.

7. Restart the Vista computer.

8. Go to Control Panel > User Accounts, click "Change your password",
enter your current password in the boxes for "Current password", "New
password", and "Confirm new password", and click "Change password".

"André Landreau" <amlandreau@wanadoo.fr> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I am trying to associate two systems in a local network on the following
> way:
> System A is a HP dual core workstation running Windows Vista Ultimate
> 32bits that links to an ADSL rooter by WiFi.
> System B is an IBM Thinkpad running Windows 98 second edition that
> connects to the same ADSL rooter also by WiFi.
> Both systems connect to the network and Internet OK. Both systems can see
> each other in their respective Network Neighborhood.
> System A can access, read and copy files from system B and access the
> local printers.
> When trying to access system A files from system B. System B hangs up.
> Now I wonder whether a Fat32 system can access an NTFS disk via a network
> ?
> Thanks a lot for helping.
>
> André M. Landreau
> amlandreau@wanadoo.fr