cannot change network location type - incorrect connection status

Location: Kansas
Tallgrass is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cannot change network location type - incorrect connection status
Setting up a wireless home network. Other machines on the workgroup cannot see Vista Home Premium PC (SP2). This PC previously was configured to see the home router as a public network. Connection status displays as Not Connected in system tray icon, but it is connected to the home router (shows name, green signal strength bars, etc.). PC has internet access, can access Internet and see/transfer files to other PC's on network. Turning off all firewalls has no impact.

Trying to view network map produces: "Windows cannot create the network map because the network's location type is Public. In order to view the network map, you must set the network's location type to Private in Network and Sharing Center." I cannot change the network type within Network and Sharing Cener because the Customize link is not available within the Network and Sharing Center because of the incorrect connection status. It's a vicious circle.

I thought maybe I could change the network type via the registry and found the following reference on another forum, but PC is missing NetworkList and beyond. I wasn't certain what actual values to supply for <profiles>.

You can set it through the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NetworkList\profiles\<profile>

Each <profile> has a "Category" DWORD value. Possible values are:

Public = 0
Home = 1
Work = 2

Ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Tallgrass

Location: Kansas
Tallgrass is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
UPDATE: cannot change network location type - incorrect connection status
Just wanted to provide an update. Multiple reboots of all equipment yesterday did not result in any change of network status for the systray icon, but today is another day... PC came up with correct "connected" status. Network map correctly displayed the router so I was able to access and modify the network type within the connection center. Go figure!

Johndoe234 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: UPDATE: cannot change network location type - incorrect connection status
If the icon has a green arrow pointing up in the lower-right corner, the service is enabled. If so, you may want to reconfigure the server. To reconfigure the server, you must first disable Routing and Remote Access.
To do this, right-click the server, and then click Disable Routing and Remote Access. Click Yes when you are prompted with an informational message.
Right-click the server, and then click Configure and Enable Routing and Remote Access to start the Routing and Remote Access Server Setup Wizard.

cloud computing