Networking a Vista and XP Home

Leslie

Networking a Vista and XP Home
I have an XP home box, it is up to date re: updates.
and I have a Vista Pre box. They are connected to a LinkSys Wrt54gs router
the router's DHCP is enabled. Both can get to the internet. The Vista can
see the XPhome in the NEtwork map but can not connect to the shares on the
XPhome box. The XP home box can not see the Vista box at all. and can only
see it's on shares if I install the IPX/SPX. they belong to the same work
group. Any help would be much welcomed, thank you
Rob

Re: Networking a Vista and XP Home

Install on XP computer.

"Leslie" <Leslie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have an XP home box, it is up to date re: updates.
> and I have a Vista Pre box. They are connected to a LinkSys Wrt54gs router
> the router's DHCP is enabled. Both can get to the internet. The Vista can
> see the XPhome in the NEtwork map but can not connect to the shares on the
> XPhome box. The XP home box can not see the Vista box at all. and can only
> see it's on shares if I install the IPX/SPX. they belong to the same work
> group. Any help would be much welcomed, thank you

Leslie

Re: Networking a Vista and XP Home
I have already done that I said I could see the xphome on the network map I
just can't connect to the shared folders. Also I can ping both computers from
each machine then it stops. the one time that the XPhome box showed up in the
network on the Vista and I clicked on it it said check the spelling

"Rob" wrote:

> http://technet2.microsoft.com/Window....mspx?mfr=true
>

> Install on XP computer.
>
> "Leslie" <Leslie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have an XP home box, it is up to date re: updates.
> > and I have a Vista Pre box. They are connected to a LinkSys Wrt54gs router
> > the router's DHCP is enabled. Both can get to the internet. The Vista can
> > see the XPhome in the NEtwork map but can not connect to the shares on the
> > XPhome box. The XP home box can not see the Vista box at all. and can only
> > see it's on shares if I install the IPX/SPX. they belong to the same work
> > group. Any help would be much welcomed, thank you

Chuck

Re: Networking a Vista and XP Home
On Fri, 18 May 2007 19:34:02 -0700, Leslie <Leslie@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I have an XP home box, it is up to date re: updates.
>and I have a Vista Pre box. They are connected to a LinkSys Wrt54gs router
>the router's DHCP is enabled. Both can get to the internet. The Vista can
>see the XPhome in the NEtwork map but can not connect to the shares on the
>XPhome box. The XP home box can not see the Vista box at all. and can only
>see it's on shares if I install the IPX/SPX. they belong to the same work
>group. Any help would be much welcomed, thank you

Leslie,

Computers running Windows XP and Vista are quite capable of sharing resources
without IPX/SPX, but they do have to be carefully setup.

Other than the network setup wizards used, Vista will be pretty similar to XP.
You'll still have issues with Windows Networking, if not properly set.
* Put all computers in the same workgroup.
* Make sure that NetBT is Enabled consistently.
* Make sure that all personal firewalls are properly setup.
* Make sure that name resolution is consistently setup.

If no help yet, diagnose the problem. Look at "browstat status" and "ipconfig
/all", from each computer. Read this article, and linked articles, and follow
instructions precisely (download browstat!):

Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Leslie

Re: Networking a Vista and XP Home
Thanks Chuck it's all working fine, Great Job.

"Chuck" wrote:

> On Fri, 18 May 2007 19:34:02 -0700, Leslie <Leslie@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I have an XP home box, it is up to date re: updates.
> >and I have a Vista Pre box. They are connected to a LinkSys Wrt54gs router
> >the router's DHCP is enabled. Both can get to the internet. The Vista can
> >see the XPhome in the NEtwork map but can not connect to the shares on the
> >XPhome box. The XP home box can not see the Vista box at all. and can only
> >see it's on shares if I install the IPX/SPX. they belong to the same work
> >group. Any help would be much welcomed, thank you

> Leslie,
>
> Computers running Windows XP and Vista are quite capable of sharing resources
> without IPX/SPX, but they do have to be carefully setup.
>
> Other than the network setup wizards used, Vista will be pretty similar to XP.
> You'll still have issues with Windows Networking, if not properly set.
> * Put all computers in the same workgroup.
> * Make sure that NetBT is Enabled consistently.
> * Make sure that all personal firewalls are properly setup.
> * Make sure that name resolution is consistently setup.
>
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1...-together.html
>
> If no help yet, diagnose the problem. Look at "browstat status" and "ipconfig
> /all", from each computer. Read this article, and linked articles, and follow
> instructions precisely (download browstat!):
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...#AskingForHelp
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck mvps org.

Chuck

Re: Networking a Vista and XP Home
On Sat, 19 May 2007 21:08:00 -0700, Leslie <Leslie@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

Thanks for the feedback, Leslie.

>Thanks Chuck it's all working fine, Great Job.
>
>"Chuck" wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 18 May 2007 19:34:02 -0700, Leslie <Leslie@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I have an XP home box, it is up to date re: updates.
>> >and I have a Vista Pre box. They are connected to a LinkSys Wrt54gs router
>> >the router's DHCP is enabled. Both can get to the internet. The Vista can
>> >see the XPhome in the NEtwork map but can not connect to the shares on the
>> >XPhome box. The XP home box can not see the Vista box at all. and can only
>> >see it's on shares if I install the IPX/SPX. they belong to the same work
>> >group. Any help would be much welcomed, thank you

>> Leslie,
>>
>> Computers running Windows XP and Vista are quite capable of sharing resources
>> without IPX/SPX, but they do have to be carefully setup.
>>
>> Other than the network setup wizards used, Vista will be pretty similar to XP.
>> You'll still have issues with Windows Networking, if not properly set.
>> * Put all computers in the same workgroup.
>> * Make sure that NetBT is Enabled consistently.
>> * Make sure that all personal firewalls are properly setup.
>> * Make sure that name resolution is consistently setup.
>>
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1...-together.html
>>
>> If no help yet, diagnose the problem. Look at "browstat status" and "ipconfig
>> /all", from each computer. Read this article, and linked articles, and follow
>> instructions precisely (download browstat!):
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...#AskingForHelp
>>
>> --
>> Cheers,
>> Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
>> Paranoia is not a problem, when it's a normal response from experience.
>> My email is AT DOT
>> actual address pchuck mvps org.

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Daniel

Re: Networking a Vista and XP Home
Hi - I guess I am having a similar problem. Upstairs I have a new Vista
loaded PC. Downstairs are all my XP units. I am tryign to "Share" my files
using "My Network Neighborhood" on XP and let the Vista "Network" see them
using the rnewly named "Public" folder. These two are not seeing one another.
Does anyone know if they are compatabe and if so what am I doing wrong. It is
very easy on XP and impossible on Vista. Thank you for any help.

"Chuck" wrote:

> On Sat, 19 May 2007 21:08:00 -0700, Leslie <Leslie@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the feedback, Leslie.
>
> >Thanks Chuck it's all working fine, Great Job.
> >
> >"Chuck" wrote:

> >> Leslie,
> >>
> >> Computers running Windows XP and Vista are quite capable of sharing resources
> >> without IPX/SPX, but they do have to be carefully setup.
> >>
> >> Other than the network setup wizards used, Vista will be pretty similar to XP.
> >> You'll still have issues with Windows Networking, if not properly set.
> >> * Put all computers in the same workgroup.
> >> * Make sure that NetBT is Enabled consistently.
> >> * Make sure that all personal firewalls are properly setup.
> >> * Make sure that name resolution is consistently setup.
> >>
> >> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/12/windows-xp-and-vista-on-lan-together.html>
> >> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2006/1...-together.html
> >>
> >> If no help yet, diagnose the problem. Look at "browstat status" and "ipconfig
> >> /all", from each computer. Read this article, and linked articles, and follow
> >> instructions precisely (download browstat!):
> >> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp>
> >> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...#AskingForHelp
> >>
> >> --
> >> Cheers,
> >> Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
> >> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> >> Paranoia is not a problem, when it's a normal response from experience.
> >> My email is AT DOT
> >> actual address pchuck mvps org.
> >>

> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck mvps org.

BobF.

Re: Networking a Vista and XP Home
Daniel,

Setting up a home network is well covered in the "Help and Support" system.
I am also running a Vista machine with 3 XP machines (one wireless), a
TeraStation and 3 shared printers, one networked, plus, various visitors.
No problems whatsoever. I suggest you follow the Help and Support and if
you still have a problem please come back with a specific question and
describe your layout in detail. We'll be glad to help.

--
Regards, BobF.
"Daniel" <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi - I guess I am having a similar problem. Upstairs I have a new Vista
> loaded PC. Downstairs are all my XP units. I am tryign to "Share" my files
> using "My Network Neighborhood" on XP and let the Vista "Network" see them
> using the rnewly named "Public" folder. These two are not seeing one
> another.
> Does anyone know if they are compatabe and if so what am I doing wrong. It
> is
> very easy on XP and impossible on Vista. Thank you for any help.
>
> "Chuck" wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 19 May 2007 21:08:00 -0700, Leslie
>> <Leslie@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for the feedback, Leslie.
>>
>> >Thanks Chuck it's all working fine, Great Job.

>> --
>> Cheers,
>> Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
>> Paranoia is not a problem, when it's a normal response from experience.
>> My email is AT DOT
>> actual address pchuck mvps org.

Daniel

Re: Networking a Vista and XP Home
Thank you Bob. As a new user to Vista...I assume that you are referring to an
option that is in VISTA and not XP. I'll go try to find where that is located
as it was not mentioned in your recent reply.

"BobF." wrote:

> Daniel,
>
> Setting up a home network is well covered in the "Help and Support" system.
> I am also running a Vista machine with 3 XP machines (one wireless), a
> TeraStation and 3 shared printers, one networked, plus, various visitors.
> No problems whatsoever. I suggest you follow the Help and Support and if
> you still have a problem please come back with a specific question and
> describe your layout in detail. We'll be glad to help.
>
> --
> Regards, BobF.
> "Daniel" <Daniel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi - I guess I am having a similar problem. Upstairs I have a new Vista
> > loaded PC. Downstairs are all my XP units. I am tryign to "Share" my files
> > using "My Network Neighborhood" on XP and let the Vista "Network" see them
> > using the rnewly named "Public" folder. These two are not seeing one
> > another.
> > Does anyone know if they are compatabe and if so what am I doing wrong. It
> > is
> > very easy on XP and impossible on Vista. Thank you for any help.
> >
> > "Chuck" wrote:
> >
> >> On Sat, 19 May 2007 21:08:00 -0700, Leslie
> >> <Leslie@discussions.microsoft.com>
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >> Thanks for the feedback, Leslie.

> >> --
> >> Cheers,
> >> Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
> >> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> >> Paranoia is not a problem, when it's a normal response from experience.
> >> My email is AT DOT
> >> actual address pchuck mvps org.

KMA

Re: Networking a Vista and XP Home
Did you figure it out? I can't comprehend all the technical stuff, I just
want to be able to access the public or shared folder on my windows XP laptop
from my other, Vista, laptop. I can 'see' the three computers on my network
(1 desktop XP, 2 laptops one XP the other vista). I can access only the
desktop's shared folder from my vista machine. When I try to open the
connection to the other laptop, it fails and says "windows cannot access
XXXX-Laptop".
If anyone would describe a step-by-step way to fix this, I'd appreciate it.
I don't even understand how to make sure the machines are all in the same
workgroup. Thanks!