Networking Windows Vista with XP

Justin

Networking Windows Vista with XP
I have a home network that consists of a wireless router with a desktop, and
one laptop running windows xp (sp2), and one new laptop running windows vista
home. my desktop see and accesses everything on all the computers, my xp
laptop sees the desktop but not the vista machine. and my vista machine will
show the full network when you go to full map from network and sharing
control panel, however when i go to the networks folder it doesn't show the
other two xp machines, and i cant access any of the material from them.
Anyone know how to solve this problem?
Gloria Boyer [MSFT]

Re: Networking Windows Vista with XP
Hi Justin. This article should help you out:

Thanks,
Gloria

--
Gloria Boyer
Windows User Assistance

"Justin" <Justin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a home network that consists of a wireless router with a desktop,
>and
> one laptop running windows xp (sp2), and one new laptop running windows
> vista
> home. my desktop see and accesses everything on all the computers, my xp
> laptop sees the desktop but not the vista machine. and my vista machine
> will
> show the full network when you go to full map from network and sharing
> control panel, however when i go to the networks folder it doesn't show
> the
> other two xp machines, and i cant access any of the material from them.
> Anyone know how to solve this problem?

Justin

Re: Networking Windows Vista with XP
Thanks for trying, but I've already been there, and to about a hundred other
pages, and so far nothing has worked, i have the discovery protocols put on
my xp machines and everything, but still can't access them from my vista
machine. It's getting incredibly frustrating.

"Gloria Boyer [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi Justin. This article should help you out:
>
> Thanks,
> Gloria
>
> --
> Gloria Boyer
> Windows User Assistance
> Microsoft Corporation
>

> "Justin" <Justin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a home network that consists of a wireless router with a desktop,
> >and
> > one laptop running windows xp (sp2), and one new laptop running windows
> > vista
> > home. my desktop see and accesses everything on all the computers, my xp
> > laptop sees the desktop but not the vista machine. and my vista machine
> > will
> > show the full network when you go to full map from network and sharing
> > control panel, however when i go to the networks folder it doesn't show
> > the
> > other two xp machines, and i cant access any of the material from them.
> > Anyone know how to solve this problem?

Chuck

Re: Networking Windows Vista with XP
On Fri, 18 May 2007 10:44:01 -0700, Justin <Justin@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I have a home network that consists of a wireless router with a desktop, and
>one laptop running windows xp (sp2), and one new laptop running windows vista
>home. my desktop see and accesses everything on all the computers, my xp
>laptop sees the desktop but not the vista machine. and my vista machine will
>show the full network when you go to full map from network and sharing
>control panel, however when i go to the networks folder it doesn't show the
>other two xp machines, and i cant access any of the material from them.
>Anyone know how to solve this problem?

Justin,

If you ran the Vista network setup, and you still have problems, look for a
misconfigured or overlooked personal firewall, or other security component.
There are several other possibilities too, and any might be the cause of your
problem. Read this article with an open mind.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/10/irregularities-in-workgroup-visibility.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/1...isibility.html

Or look at "browstat status" and "ipconfig /all", from each computer, and
diagnose the problem. Read this article, and linked articles, and follow
instructions precisely (download browstat!):

Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Justin

Re: Networking Windows Vista with XP
Chuck,

I will also look through those again, is there some way to wipe all the
networking clean and start over from initial set up? Because I have already
been through those pages also with no luck.

-justin

On Fri, 18 May 2007 12:05:03 -0700, Justin <Justin@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>"Chuck" wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 18 May 2007 10:44:01 -0700, Justin <Justin@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >I have a home network that consists of a wireless router with a desktop, and
>> >one laptop running windows xp (sp2), and one new laptop running windows vista
>> >home. my desktop see and accesses everything on all the computers, my xp
>> >laptop sees the desktop but not the vista machine. and my vista machine will
>> >show the full network when you go to full map from network and sharing
>> >control panel, however when i go to the networks folder it doesn't show the
>> >other two xp machines, and i cant access any of the material from them.
>> >Anyone know how to solve this problem?

>> Justin,
>>
>> If you ran the Vista network setup, and you still have problems, look for a
>> misconfigured or overlooked personal firewall, or other security component.
>> There are several other possibilities too, and any might be the cause of your
>> problem. Read this article with an open mind.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/10/irregularities-in-workgroup-visibility.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/1...isibility.html
>>
>> Or look at "browstat status" and "ipconfig /all", from each computer, and
>> diagnose the problem. Read this article, and linked articles, and follow
>> instructions precisely (download browstat!):
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...#AskingForHelp

>Chuck,
>
>I will also look through those again, is there some way to wipe all the
>networking clean and start over from initial set up? Because I have already
>been through those pages also with no luck.
>
>-justin

Justin,

If you WANT to, you could start from the LSP / Winsock article, and you'll find
a couple posts about TCP/IP and the network adapter reloads.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/problems-with-lsp-winsock-layer-in.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...-layer-in.html

But if you had actually been thru all of those pages, I think you would have
posted the browstat and ipconfig logs, from all 3 computers. But I don't see
any yet. Always diagnose from the bottom up.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/08/solving-network-problems-tutorial.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...-tutorial.html

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Justin

Re: Networking Windows Vista with XP
chuch,

ok i have started over and come to the same problems as before, and im about
to give up on this, i have been tinkering trying to solve this issue for
nearly two days straight. I dont know anything about the ipcofig and browstat
functions, and could not figure out how to use them. any info would be
greatly appreciated.

-justin

"Chuck" wrote:

> On Fri, 18 May 2007 12:05:03 -0700, Justin <Justin@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
>
> >"Chuck" wrote:

> >> Justin,
> >>
> >> If you ran the Vista network setup, and you still have problems, look for a
> >> misconfigured or overlooked personal firewall, or other security component.
> >> There are several other possibilities too, and any might be the cause of your
> >> problem. Read this article with an open mind.
> >> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/10/irregularities-in-workgroup-visibility.html>
> >> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/1...isibility.html
> >>
> >> Or look at "browstat status" and "ipconfig /all", from each computer, and
> >> diagnose the problem. Read this article, and linked articles, and follow
> >> instructions precisely (download browstat!):
> >> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/troubleshooting-network-neighborhood.html#AskingForHelp>
> >> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...#AskingForHelp

> >Chuck,
> >
> >I will also look through those again, is there some way to wipe all the
> >networking clean and start over from initial set up? Because I have already
> >been through those pages also with no luck.
> >
> >-justin

> Justin,
>
> If you WANT to, you could start from the LSP / Winsock article, and you'll find
> a couple posts about TCP/IP and the network adapter reloads.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/05/problems-with-lsp-winsock-layer-in.html>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...-layer-in.html
>
> But if you had actually been thru all of those pages, I think you would have
> posted the browstat and ipconfig logs, from all 3 computers. But I don't see
> any yet. Always diagnose from the bottom up.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/08/solving-network-problems-tutorial.html>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...-tutorial.html
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck mvps org.

Kim [MS]

Re: Networking Windows Vista with XP
Justin,

I'm sorry you're experiencing trouble. What, exactly, is the error you're
getting?