Finding printer on Vista desk top from my XP laptop.

Rickflies

Finding printer on Vista desk top from my XP laptop.
Just bought a new esktop running Vista home premium. I had a desktop before
using XP home. Both of my laptops run XP home and we had no problems sharing
the printer using a Linksys wireless router. I changed the workgroup on the
Vista machine to match those of the laptops and enabled printer sharing. I
checked the network folders on the Vista machine and the printer is showing
on the network. The problem is neither of the laptops can find the printer.
When I try to add a printer on the laptops(XP) using the Printer wizard I can
find the desktop computer, but cannot locate the printer. The network show
all the computers on all machine, but I cannot locate the printer on the
Vista desk top machine. Thanks in advance
Gloria Boyer [MSFT]

Re: Finding printer on Vista desk top from my XP laptop.
Hi Rickflies. This article should help you:

Thanks,
Gloria

--
Gloria Boyer
Windows User Assistance

"Rickflies" <Rickflies@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Just bought a new esktop running Vista home premium. I had a desktop
> before
> using XP home. Both of my laptops run XP home and we had no problems
> sharing
> the printer using a Linksys wireless router. I changed the workgroup on
> the
> Vista machine to match those of the laptops and enabled printer sharing.
> checked the network folders on the Vista machine and the printer is
> showing
> on the network. The problem is neither of the laptops can find the
> printer.
> When I try to add a printer on the laptops(XP) using the Printer wizard I
> can
> find the desktop computer, but cannot locate the printer. The network
> show
> all the computers on all machine, but I cannot locate the printer on the
> Vista desk top machine. Thanks in advance

Rickflies

Re: Finding printer on Vista desk top from my XP laptop.
Gloria,

Thank you for the response, I had read this page before, however I will go
back and make sure I have everything done. The thing that is frustrating is
that all three machines can see the other machines on the network, but the
only one that I can access the printer is the desktop ( the Vista machine
with a USB connection to the printer). I am sure it is something really
simple, but it is frustrating to spend a whole day trying to "fix" this
issue. Welcome to job sercuity right...:-)

"Gloria Boyer [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi Rickflies. This article should help you:
>
> Thanks,
> Gloria
>
> --
> Gloria Boyer
> Windows User Assistance
> Microsoft Corporation
>

> "Rickflies" <Rickflies@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Just bought a new esktop running Vista home premium. I had a desktop
> > before
> > using XP home. Both of my laptops run XP home and we had no problems
> > sharing
> > the printer using a Linksys wireless router. I changed the workgroup on
> > the
> > Vista machine to match those of the laptops and enabled printer sharing.
> > checked the network folders on the Vista machine and the printer is
> > showing
> > on the network. The problem is neither of the laptops can find the
> > printer.
> > When I try to add a printer on the laptops(XP) using the Printer wizard I
> > can
> > find the desktop computer, but cannot locate the printer. The network
> > show
> > all the computers on all machine, but I cannot locate the printer on the
> > Vista desk top machine. Thanks in advance

JerryM

Re: Finding printer on Vista desk top from my XP laptop.
Rick,
Be sure all the computers are using the same protocol.

--

Jerry

One thing money can't buy,
The wagging tail of a dog.